Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the fast lane heading south. There were at least four cars ahead of me driving an average of 70mph. A suped-up Ford Taurus SE was getting closer to my tail. Minutes later, he decided to past me and tries to pass the others. He successfully past all the cars on the fast lane and cutting off couple cars on the second lane. While driving on the fast lane for about five miles, the cars that were in front me already exited off the freeway. The only car that was left on the fast lane was that Ford Taurus. At 75mph, I thought that was a decent speed. I wondered why the driver of the Taurus decides to drive slower. There were no cars ahead of him and it was clear on the 2nd lane. So, I decided to pass him. I signaled right, then accelerated a little and appoached to the 2nd lane. All of the sudden he begins to accelerate hoping that I would not pass him. I said to myself, "What an ***h*le!! I got soooo... pissed that I floored my 2002 Ody. Completely passed him, went on the 3rd lane because it was clear and then to the second lane. I looked at my rear view mirror, and that same bastard is about 100 yards away and approaching my tail rather quickly. Again, I began to floor it, and carefully manuever in and out between the moving cars on the 2nd and 3rd lane. I was going at top speed of 115mph (is there a governor limiter, or whatever you called it?) I began to slow down because I have to head east to the next transition. He did approach me on my left side. I just point and laugh. He later passed me after the transition going east. I gave him a pity look. I still don't get it. Why, does he want to race a mini-van?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think your first assessment of him, the one with the asterisks, was accurate

·
Registered
596 Posts
My question is: Why would ANYONE be going that fast anywhere around other vehicles? If one of those cars you so carefully passed misjudged your speed(easy to do, when you are driving so foolishly), you could have caused a very serious accident. Remember, the other guy does not expect you to be going anywhere near that fast. Around here, they would take you directly to jail, if you were seen being so careless......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's another stupid story! I came home with my two day old( 25miles odometer) 2002 Ody. I have to drive through 3 sets of speed bumps (15 mph)in our complex. I get to 100 yards of my apartment slowly crossing the last set of speed bumps - when an ***hole in a white pickup bolts from behind and crosses the bumps behind me and cuts me off (between curbs on both sides)speeds up at 40 mph ahead to park somewhere? I park my vehicle and move on while this idiot dodges around the parking lot so he won't reveal which building he lives in? This goes on for about 3 minutes while I walk up to my mailbox and go inside. There are idiots everywhere so be careful you never know what might happen besides speeding?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I must admit that it was foolish of me to drive speeds over a 100mph. The risk of endangering innocent drivers on the freeway is not worth it. Although, I was amazed on the performance of this Ody. I was impressed on how this vehicle moves quickly from 75mph to 100+mph. The acceleration was fairly quiet and very, very smooth. All right, all right, enough excuses. If this situation happens to you on the road, just take a deeeeeep breath. (sigh).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
For what it's worth:

"Feb 6, 2002

<font size=+2>Four Police Officers Charged in Connection With Drag Race Death in Detroit</font>
The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) - <font color=blue>Four police officers from suburban Lincoln Park have been charged in connection with a drag race in which a woman was struck and killed.

Witnesses said the officers played music over a police car loudspeaker and encouraged the race.

"We've got videos of (the officers) sitting there. You can see them in their car," Wayne County prosecutor's spokeswoman Rebecca Tenorio said in Wednesday's editions of The Detroit News.

Officers William Kish III, Joseph Lavis, Douglas Muncey and Mohammed Nasser are charged with willful neglect of duty, willful failure to uphold or enforce the law, and drag racing.

The race was in Detroit, and state law prohibits police officers from crossing city borders to enforce misdemeanors, but Wayne County Prosecutor Michael Duggan said the officers could have radioed Detroit police about the race.

Prosecutors say the drag race, Oct. 8, began just across the Lincoln Park boundary and reached speeds of more than 100 mph in a 35 mph zone. One of the racers lost control of his vehicle, ran across a sidewalk and struck Denise Jones, 35, killing her, prosecutors said. Two other people were injured.

The two drivers, Aaron Reynolds, 34, and Mustapha Mohamed Atat, 30, are charged with second-degree murder.</font>

AP-ES-02-06-02 1259EST

This story can be found at : http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA42RZGDXC.html "

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 02-06-2002).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's worth a lot, Maugham. Anyone who is involved in any sort of speed contest on a public road is playing fast and loose with human lives. Just driving, these days, can be enough of a challenge, without the distraction of wondering how bad you are thrashing or being thrashed.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
It's worth a lot, Maugham. Anyone who is involved in any sort of speed contest on a public road is playing fast and loose with human lives. Just driving, these days, can be enough of a challenge, without the distraction of wondering how bad you are thrashing or being thrashed.
</font>
When I feel the need to get it outta my system, I run some laps of <a href="http://www.papy.com/">NASCAR 4</a> and feel much better!

Running the Daytona or Talladega tracks with the restrictor plates off is very therapeutic...

------------------
'02 MB EXL-RES on order... woo!

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you have THE NEED FOR SPEED, and most of us do, consider joining a local car club that sponsors track events. Here in South Florida, the Porsche, BMW, SCCA, and Mustang groups are quite active and sponsor skid pad and performance driving events throughout the year at Moroso Motorsports Park. This is the safe way to learn emergency driving skills and how to drive fast in a controlled environment. The cost is usually nominal ($75 for a day on the skid pad to $275 for a two day performance school). Helmets are usually not required for the skid pad.

I've seen pickup trucks and station wagons out there, so don't count yourself out if you drive an Ody. And I've seen gobs of minivans on the skidpad.

Skid pad instruction is one of the most important "mods" you can do. Improve the driver first, then the vehicle, and have fun in the process.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celler:
Improve the driver first, then the vehicle, and have fun in the process.

</font>
AMEN!

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is nice to see the reaction of some of these people when they get toasted by a minivan. The trick is not allowing it to escalate into something neither one of you can handle.

------------------
2002 GG EX

·
Registered
99 Posts
Amen to that. I see situations like this almost everyday on my commute, and while most of them result in nobody getting hurt, when it goes the other way it is most tragic. Nothing stresses me out more to know that my wife and daughter are traveling the same streets that these people are carelessly racing on. I won't recklessly endanger your family...please return the favor.

------------------
01 Nissan Frontier SE CC
02 MB EX (Soon)

·
Registered
147 Posts
When somebody flies past met at high speed, I always comment to my passenger that the person will probably get where I'm going "two car lengths sooner."

This is invariably true, especially in congested areas like the San Francisco Bay Area. If you happen to be following somebody who recklessly passed you by, you'll invariably find that you will arrive at your destination mere seconds later, unless you are travelling very long distances.

Think about that the next time your foot gets heavy -- you won't really arrive there sooner, and you might kill someone in the process. A few years ago, somebody cut off a semi on the highway here. That driver probably never knew that the semi swerved to miss him, and hit the median, causing a large chunk of concrete to smash into an oncoming car, killing the young lady driving her car to work. All for nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts