Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm...would would *ever* have guessed that I would be (apparently) the first one to post that I actually now *own* an '02 Ody?

I have deposits down at 2 different dealers for a White '02 EX, both at sticker + $500 (I'm in Southern California--where we are, that's actually considered a pretty good deal), and both expected I might see the vehicles around Monday or Tuesday.

Then one of the dealerships I had been talking to called me up and said they had *one*--yes, *one*--'02 Ody EX if I wanted to come get it. The hitch? Its Starlight Silver. Not my first choice (apologies to any happy SS owners), as I'd prefer either White or Redrock. The good part? Not only is it available now, but this dealership sells only at sticker--not above it (Metro Honda, Montclair, CA--I can't say enough about them!). But they don't take waiting lists or deposits to secure vehicles.

BUT--as some may have read aleady, I'm in a bit of a bind as my '86 Acura Legend has a transmission problem and has a *lot* of trouble getting up to go. I can't really afford to wait. And this dealer--whom I trust--(my father is acquainted with the owner)--said they have no apparent incoming '02's for at least a couple of weeks or more.

So I was faced with...wait a few days, get a White '02 Ody and pay an *additional* $500 for the privilege (let's see...plus 8% CA Sales tax, so that adds another $40 to the price...and when you get right down to it, you have to earn about 2x as much in order to be able to keep 1/2 of it after taxes, so that's like having to earn $1,080 in order to clear $540 to pay additional for an inflated price on an '02 Ody.

Hmm...

My wife doesn't like gray (my current Acura's color), but Silver is brighter than gray, so it was liveable. Personally, I don't care all that much--I don't much see the color of it when I'm driving anyway, so I don't think it matters.

Sooo...rather than get bent over and screwed for a premium over sticker, I went with a color I don't hate (Sorry, you MB owners--I really hate that color!), but isn't my 1st choice either.

NOW...I can't say enough about Metro Honda. Those people are First Class ALL the way. No high-pressure crap, no sneaky underhanded attempts to get more money out of you--nothing like that. They bend over backwards to make sure you're happy, they are incredibly polite, very, very nice...THESE are the kind of people you WANT to do business with!

Some names to give praise to--and contact (tell them I sent you--I really want them to know I appreciate them. Even the Finance person was wonderful!): Pete Paulson and Ali Yekani (Sales Mgrs), also Jimmie and Shawn (Finance).

Folks, if you are *anywhere* in Southern California, Metro Honda is worth driving the distance to. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. The only problem is they don't take deposits, so its first-come, first serve. Just call them up to let them know you want one, and they'll keep you in mind & call you when it comes in.

I'll try to follow with a post on my driving-home experience (about 35 miles) tomorrow (I gotta hit the hay).

As a preview...I don't have much to compare against since I didn't have a previous Ody, but just offhand...I'm *really* impressed with how much it feels like a car. My Acura Legend was a nice sedan in its heyday, and this Ody feels pretty darn comfortable--much like the Acura was in some ways.

Bye all...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Congrats on your '02! I'm a little envious, but glad to see they're finally showing up at dealerships. Maybe I'll give Metro a call and see if they have a RR EX-Nav sitting around that no one has claimed

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats on your new '02! I've also been talking to Metro Honda (Yvonne) and my assessment of them is the same as yours. I was a little discouraged to hear about the '02s are that far away. We need to replace our "in need of repairs" 1989 Civic which needs to be smogged soon. The dealership my husband has been talking to is selling at $1000 over MSRP which I'm opposed to paying that much. Can you tell me the dealerships that you talked to that were selling at $500 over sticker? How are their options priced? I hope Metro can come through for us, but at least $500 over sticker is better than $1000 over sticker.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got a call from my dealer. My 02 EX is ready. Going to pick it up tonight. Paying MSRP. Will update when I get back tonight.

This is better than Christmas morning.

Warren

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't forget to use RWhittle as your reference so that he gets the referral check of $100. Better yet, both of you could split the check!! :)

Congrats on the new SS EX. Mine is on the way too.

Tony

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JaniceS:
Congrats on your new '02! I've also been talking to Metro Honda (Yvonne) and my assessment of them is the same as yours. I was a little discouraged to hear about the '02s are that far away.
Can you tell me the dealerships that you talked to that were selling at $500 over sticker? How are their options priced? I hope Metro can come through for us, but at least $500 over sticker is better than $1000 over sticker.
</font>
Metro *will* come through eventually--the only question is whether you can wait. I was in a similar problem with a dying '86 Acura Legend that had a bad tranny problem, so I was just holding out for the first '02 Ody I could get. If Metro *hadn't* come through when they did, I regret to say I'd have probably gone with one of the others.

The "$500 over MSRP" dealers I talked to and had deposits down with are as follows:

- Robertson Honda (Palmdale, CA): Jim Maze, 661-265-6000

- Goudy Honda (Alhambra, CA), Fred Fadai or Alicia Martinez (Internet Sales), 626-576-1114 and [email protected] Goudy normally sells at $1,000 over sticker, so maybe I just negotiated this one well. But they seemed to be relatively straight shooters.

- Villa Honda (Hemet, CA), Andrew Rodarte, 909-765-2700. Villa is a smaller dealer that said they wouldn't have one for me until October though. They were actually MSRP + $395 for some "required" goodies of some sort or another.

(the first couple will have an '02 White EX available to some lucky sould very shortly, since I just relinquished my place in line.)

HOWEVER--let me reiterate--I had a *wonderful* positive experience at Metro Honda, 800-649-2277, 909-625-5000. Pete Paulson and/or Ali Yekani are the guys to talk to.

And no, Tony T., I am *not* getting a referral bonus. <Grin!> But I am personally in an industry where word-of-mouth is critical to doing business (Financial Advisor), so I am always grateful when someone is ecstatic with my service and recommends me to someone else. In turn, I am eager to do the same for others when I have a positive experience.

I've seen more than a few dealers (Honda and otherwise) over the last couple of months. Some were just *awful* (STAY AWAY from Airport Honda near LAX and Colonial Honda in Glendale, as well as another one in downtown L.A.!), others were mediocre, and others were seemingly pretty good. In the end, I have to give a big "10+" to Metro for not only treating me respectfully and nicely, but doing so very fairly at the sticker price without even *thinking* to screw me for a premium over that sticker.

Metro Honda is a class outfit. I'll be telling a *lot* of people to go see them for years to come. They stand head and shoulders above any other I've experienced--and I'm a very critical consumer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I must be second on forum to own an 02 and I just picked up my 02 MB EX from Herson's Honda - Rockville, MD. They told me I was the first 02 buyer from their dealership. Ordered in June. The total process took 1 hr and 15 mins and I was out the door.

Paid: MSRP + $20 (doc fee) + $168 (express tags and registration) + 5% (tax)

I'm happy with the deal, no extra accessories or add ons.

Odyssey had 8 miles on odometer and prep'd before I got there. The funny thing is that the dealer had new plates and a registration card (with my name) for the car before I left. They printed the registration card themselves and it was all official like the one you receive from the MVA/DMV. They don't use temporary tags or registration anymore. My brand new 02 Ody doesn't look like it was just bought because it doesn't have temp plates - kinda funny.

Now about the minivan. I never had a minivan before (just a 91 accord and 95 passport)so I don't have a good reference but the minivan feels very smooth. I mean, very smooth. The tranmission is nice and overall engine noise is low at any gear. The loudest part is the tire/road noise. Depending on the road type/condition it can get very loud.

Braking is very good IMHO. Much better than my Passport which also has 4 wheel disc.

I don't like where the shifter is in relation to the wiper handle. I more than once turned on the wiper and sprayed my windshield trying to get the minivan in Drive.

I do hear the gasoline thump. Wow, its noticeable.

The sound system seems fine. I have never listened to a pre-02 system but the 02 seems adequate.

Ask for Janaki (301)-279-8600 and we'll both get $50 if you buy a car there. She's great to work with. Tell hear Warren referred you. She says the EX waiting list extends out to january but any other trim can be had by late October or November.

Warren

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Rainmax,

What is the gasoline thump ? I must have missed that while browsing through the site.
I have one on order, due next month.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
329 Posts
I believe that he is referring to the gasoline sloshing around in the tank (when it's full).

My parents have a 2000 EX and I heard it in their Ody after reading about it on this board. Funny thing is, when I pointed it out to them, they had never heard it before!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've never heard it from my 2001. I guess it is good to be and older guy with marginal hearing, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took delivery of my 2002 Starlight Silver EX-L on 10/11/2001, and it now has about 2,100 miles. It has taken me this long to get rid of the squeaks in both sliding doors.

FUEL TANK SLOSH SOUND - The next most annoying sound is the fuel tank slosh. I find the noise to be the worst when the fuel level is between 5/8 to Full. It doesn't sound like there is a fix for this though, but I wanted to alert everyone that I've got it.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robertraymartin:
I took delivery of my 2002 Starlight Silver EX-L on 10/11/2001, and it now has about 2,100 miles. It has taken me this long to get rid of the squeaks in both sliding doors.
</font>
I too have squeeks--just started happening about 2 weeks ago when you drive down the road.

How did you get rid of it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
RWhittle,

First - I used a Loc-Tite brand of silicone spray lubricant on all the rubber seals. This helped a little.

Second - As Chuck has recommended, I made sure that the one and only adjustable bumper post on the lower rear of both doors was making contact, which it was.

Third - I determined that the squeaks were primarily coming from the sliding doors top, rear surface where it contacts the top door-frame seal, as if the door was not closing enough (or not coming inboard enough). I ended up adjusting the latch (on both doors) that is attached to the back door-frame post, inboard approximately 3/32". This eliminated the squeaks for a while, but about 1 week later a squeak resurfaced on the right door.

Fourth - I took several 30-45 minute drives with my family (wife driving, me in the middle right seat) trying to pinpoint this annoying squeak. I determined that If I pushed outboard on the window at the rear of the door, the squeak went away. I was convinced that it was the window itself. I was just about to pull-off the rear, plastic interior window trim piece when I decided to look at the upper rail track. You won't believe it, but the small rubber doorstop bumper attached to the rear of the top rail was the culprit. Man was I happy. I pulled the rubber doorstop bumper completely off, took the Odyssey for a test drive, and sure enough no more annoying squeak. I fixed it by attaching some electrical tape to the painted metal rail where the bumper interfaces with it. Then I sprayed silicon lubricant onto the tape and on all faces of the doorstop bumper. One more squeak at least temporarily gone. I'll try and attach pictures.

Regards,
Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts