Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm finally about 1/3 of the way through the owner's manual...is anyone else bugged that they put the 'for the first 500 miles do this...' advice midway through this chub? It would have been nice to attach this section/advice to the steering wheel instead of the 'how to operate the rear vents' placard.

Oh well; thats what this forum is for.
Anyway, I dig the 'auto-off' headlights. I've installed the 'motion detector' lights all around my house; but the one on the driveway is picky sometimes; even though I see the red light blinking, it sometimes won't activate the light. With the headlights remaining on for 15 secs, it gives me time to get inside. I also like that in the middle of the night; I hit the 'unlock' on the remote and it fires up all the interior and headlights. Good for security reasons in a dark parking lot for my wife too.

Anyway; thumbs up on this feature and I love finding new stuff out that I didn't know before. This is what I love about Hondas....I had my Accord for 6 years before I found out you could "push" the clock panel w/ the car off & make the LED read-out appear. It the subtle engineering that makes these vehicles stand out above the rest.

------------------
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
96 Posts
I to love all the little things that you find out. For example, just recently I realized that the intermitent wipers get faster as your speed increases and slower when you are stopped. A wonderful feature that I probably overlooked when reading the instruction manual. I guess maybe other cars have this but my other car is a 94 and it surely doesn't. You are right...it's the little things.

------------------
Chris
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did you know that the wipers when set in intermitent mode automatically "swipe" the windshield after you relase the brake from a complete stop. I presume the thinking is that your windshield might have accumulated rain while at the stop.

I don't think it is a documented feature, just a nice touch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What I'd like is a common feature on some other vehicles - the radio's volume increases with the velocity.

Let's face it, you get a lot of road noise in the Odyssey. Sure, it might not be as much as some other Hondas (I had an Integra, and have a Civic), but it's still noticeable.

I went through the whole manual the first night - yes, I knew about the windshield wipers. I also have always thought that rear windshield wipers were a gimick until I used it - it can really help rear visibility.

About the first 500 miles thing...I read about that night, so it didn't bother me much, but I did read here about keeping it under 3000rpm for the first 1000 miles, so I was driving pretty conservatively even just on the way home (the dealer is pretty close).

So what's the deal? The advice here was first 1000 miles, but the manual says 500. Usually the manual is more conservative. I'm around 700 miles, and still drive conservatively, but I had to prove a point to an SUV - went into "passing" gear and got up to about 4500rpm. That was still after 500, though. For the most part I'm still keeping it low, but on accelerating I often get up to around 3500 - my area is pretty hilly, and often you need to start from zero going uphill.

I must say, though, that even before 500 miles were up both my wife and I noticed a great improvement in the van from when we first got it. It seems a lot smoother and more powerful - although it might just be that second tank of gas that I put in instead of the cheap crap the dealer put in.

I know, I know - there are those that say all gas is the same, but places like Chevron and BP/Amoco put detergents and stuff in. Wether it helps or not might be debatable, but at least I can say it's not all the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I once had a '65 Mercury Caliente that automatically changed intermitent wipers to constant when you floored it to pass another car. (Actually the intermitent wipers were controlled by a vaccuum switch, and the control was a needle valve of some sort, so when the engine vac changed, it just did that with no fancy design needed!)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cwneed:
I to love all the little things that you find out. For example, just recently I realized that the intermitent wipers get faster as your speed increases and slower when you are stopped. A wonderful feature that I probably overlooked when reading the instruction manual. I guess maybe other cars have this but my other car is a 94 and it surely doesn't. You are right...it's the little things.

</font>

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think this option(auto-off) comes with EX model. My dad has EX and I have LX... so, I guess i have to becareful... don't wanna walk home... you know...

jason
'01 Honda Odyssey FW LX
Leather mask, add-cd deck, splash guard, EX wheels, wheel-lock. S2000 antena, floor-matt.

[This message has been edited by cobra9357 (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
gfxguy - I really want the radio adjusting to the speed feature too. I was surprised that not even my Acura TLS has this feature for the radio. I think most luxury cars have that feature. Then again, the TLS has so many other features at a fraction of the price, it's hard to complain (like Joe Walsh said - "I can't complain, but some times I still do").

1 - 7 of 7 Posts