Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to Everyone. I recently bought our First Odyssey Van. I have been reading posts here and doing all the Maintenance. There is one thing I am puzzled so far, and I need some help.

Honda Odyssey, 2008 EX, 136k miles

I changed the Spark plugs, put new Iridium NGKs as suggested here. The Old Plugs appear to me as they are all running lean. I would like opinions. The Van does have A cylinder 1 and 5 misfire code. I connected a cheap obd scanner, and the LT Fuel trim levels are around 5.7 positive for bank 1 and 10.5 positive bank 2. I will post a picture if needed. It is my understanding that this corresponds to the lean condition, and the ECM incrementing the fuel. The old plugs in Cylinder 1 and 5 did have a slight rounded tip to them. Van has been getting 22 mpg in City/Highway, and 28 mpg in Highway (I bought it in Utah, so drove it down 800 miles down to my home in NM)

According to the Previous Owner. The Timing Belt and Water Pump have already been replaced/service. I am trying to get ahold of him to ask if he did the Valve Adjustment.

So far I have done the Following:

New Air Filter.
Replaced Maf Sensor with OEM Hitachi.
Replaced the Spark plugs.
Cleaned the PCV valve (it was gunked up, not rattling any more)
Cleaned the EGR valve.
Did a vacuum leak test by spraying Starter Fluid in the engine bay area (I was not able to find anything)

The Van runs good, feels good. So I am not too sure if this is a problem. Lol maybe I am just reading the Spark plugs wrong. So all of your help would sure Help me. Thanks in Advance, and I apologize for any naive Questions =)

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Your plugs look fine, just a bit worn. Your fuel trims sound normal for what I've seen on Honda J35's. They indicate that the computer is able to keep the mixture at stoichiometric with no trouble. If you want to do anything else, I'd recommend replacing all four O2 sensors. If those aren't reporting properly then the computer would never know as it just takes whatever those O2's are saying and uses that to control fuel.

Make sure you use the proper O2's, though. NTK are the OE sensors. You can pick them up for reasonable at RockAuto and are the very same sensor you'd buy at Honda for 3x the price. Replacing all four sensors ensures that the computer has good info to use to control the fuel. Most O2 sensors are good for 100-130K miles max before they start becoming skewed. They live in quite a hostile environment.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to this forum. I woudl suggest you replace the cabin air filter (located behind the glove box) and tend to the transmission fluid with a drain and fill (NOT a flush). You may want to do this multiple times depending on when it was last done. Eventually, you'll want to tend to your other fluids: brake, power steering, and coolant. I assume you've changed the oil.

Since you have the EX model, you don't have to deal with the VCM stuff you may read about on this forum. Your engine does not have VCM.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, that really clears up my confusion. I am used to spark plugs being darker. You made my Day =)

And I really like the Idea of changing the oxygen sensors, it feels like the right thing to do at those miles, I will order the NTKs today from Rockauto.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thscott thanks for your input too. I have that new cabin filter ready to replace on the seat of the Oddy, I will have my Son do it, he enjoys doing those things. And I did already changed the Engine Oil (Mobil 1 extended 5w-20, and Wix Filter). I also already did my transmission drain and refill (Used Valvoline Maxlife as per this forum). The old Oil sure was dark, the transmission was having issues downshifting sometimes. The Transmission oil sure took care of it all, the trans is working smooth now, I am glad I changed the oil on time.

I do want to thank you for clarifying about the VCM. I was already preparing doing all the reading and research to muzzle it. You just saved me soo much time lol Thanks for making me realize I dont have that! =) And that frees plenty of time to just focus on changing the other fluids =)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You have probably the best van of this 3rd generation: A 2008 has the better transmission and your EX does not have VCM. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
Those 2005's and 2006's are like the late-2004's with all of the internal ATF flow improvement mods. Nobody wants to sell me one. Ever. High miles, and they keep trucking.

Those "Third Generation Odysseys" (2005-2010) are exactly what the Odyssey should have been in 1999, in my grumpy old-man opinion (we still have a pair of Gen 2's).

As I've gotten older (and more experienced, both good and bad), it's made me realize some fluids are best left as OEM. I'm good with DOT3 brake fluid from anybody, and motor oil from any reputable brand (I prefer synthetic). For coolant, I'm a fan of Honda OEM. For power steering fluid, it HAS to be Honda/Acura-compatible (if in doubt, any doubt, buy it from Honda).

I wish my spark plugs always looked like that. Tan, with a touch of soot somewhere. I think once, just once in my life I tuned an engine with a carb and points that had the plugs almost look that good after 5,000 miles...if I squinted at them real hard.

Replacing the O2 sensors is a good idea. I followed John's suggestion and replaced them on my 2002 EX. Wished I'd done that earlier. The van drives a little better in terms of power where I expect it in the rev band, but the more noticeable "payoff" was improved fuel economy. The van was slowly, year-by-year, getting less miles per tank of fuel. It took a couple weeks of occasional driving, for reasons I'm not familiar with, for the van to regain it's "more youthful" MPG numbers, but it's my daily driver once again.

OF

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I'd suggest cleaning the throttle body, unless it looks like it's been recently done.
Don't do that unless you have a bidirectional scan tool to reset the throttle position data. If you don't, you'll have a high idle you can't get rid of.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really Enjoyed reading your post Odyfamily.

You took all your time to fill me in all the Details I may have been missing into shaping up our Family Van, I appreciate your truthful Effort. And you, and all the rest have made Me Realize that this is a Van really worth putting all the work and heart into.

Truth is we Spent a good time looking for Vans, we have been searching for about 6 months. Right as soon as I saw this Oddy (I bought it from a private seller), I knew it was well taken care of and that it was what we had been looking for. My wife went to look at the interior, and said "I like everything in it", so we bought it. It is my first time Buying a Honda (really first time buying a non-american car), and I am learning the OEM manufacturers for parts, and the little details to take good care of this Van.

I must be honest, this forum and you All are making it very Easy and Enjoyable =)

·
Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went ahead and ordered all 4 NTK oxygen and A/F ration sensors last night. Ted, I did think about cleaning the throttle body (in fact I was already taking it apart), but then I read about the resetting in the bi-directional scan tool, and I decided to put it aside until I did more research on it (Thanks for your input John on this too).

I hope you all Have a Really Nice weekend, and thank you all so far for all your Help. We have a trip to Utah this Monday, it will be really nice putting to test the Van after all the things done to it =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts