Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 honday ody the other day my care would make the turning over noise but would not start sometimes when i would crank the car the car would start and then it would feel like the car was bogging down like it was running out of gas but there was plenty of gas in the car now im not sure if it could be the fule pump or a overly dirty fuel filter or maybe the car had a loss of spark i am thinking the spark plugs are really old because we got the car at around 100k miles and now it is at 180k+ miles and im not sure if the plugs have ever been changed and also do i have to change the wires with the plugs? this is our first honda so im not sure how it works has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, first of all, there are no spark plug wires because your engine is equipped with Coil On Plug (COP) technology where there is an individual coil mounted right above each spark plug. You can see them when you remove your plastic engine cover.

Spark plugs are good for 100K miles (if the OEM type were used), do you have any maintenance history showing that they were ever changed? You may want to pull one of them and check its condition and gap. The coils on these cars can fail as well.

Is your check engine light on? That may be a clue if you can get the codes scanned.

It's very hard to diagnose a car over the internet. Do you have a good mechanic or do you do your own work? It could be a fuel issue, this can be verified by doing a fuel pressure check at the engine (which takes a fuel pressure test gauge and the correct adapters).

I'd recommend finding a compentent Honda shop/technician in your area if you don't do your own work.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I recommend getting a good mechanic as well.
It is highly unlikely it is something simple such as spark plugs even if they have 180k on them--they wouldn't ALL fail at the same time on the same startup.
With 180k miles and you're not sure if the plugs have been changed--it could be just about anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Are you in Lawrenceville, GA? or another Lawrenceville? I have a good fair mechanic in Lawrenceville, GA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts