Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously. I'm the guy who might wash his car now and then, and will try to keep up with the new Ody, but I won't be fanatic about it.

5 years from now, you all can compare your Zainoed cars to my car. It's garaged, but other than that it won't get extraordinary care. I'd be very curious to see what I'm missing. I understand the desire, I just don't make the time to do it myself.

My 92 Civic, if I clean it up, still shines. Go figure. Also, there are a couple nicks that in previous year models would have surely meant huge bubbling rust; on my car, nothing.

They've figured out this finish thing, by and large. Same with rust prevention. It'd be interesting to have a control vehicle like mine to compare the real world benefits of something like regular Zaino treatment to what amounts to no treatment at all.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ditto, for me!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
And I volunteer to be the anal-retentive freak who polishes the thing every chance he gets. I use Klasse products, however, and not Zaino. So there's still room for other Zainy Zaino freaks to volunteer!

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, let's set a date. Sometime in fall 2006 to spring 2007. We'll find a meeting place that we all can drive to and compare cars.

(Well, I *bought* the thing to drive it, right? By then my boy will be 8, my daughter 5, and we'll certainly get some use from the RES.)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I use Klasse products, however, and not Zaino.</font>
I have no idea what that is, really, but a quick look shows the High Gloss Glaze to be a ONE STEP APPLICATION that lasts up to 12 MONTHS.

http://www.seriousauto.com/detailing-products/Klasse/glaze/glaze.html

The Zaino mullahs will have you arrested for heresy. Isn't Zaino something like a 4 week treatment, then you start all over again?

Seriously, the Klasse High Gloss Glaze looks interesting. I may have to abdicate my position as control group, if this stuff works that well. ???? $18 for a 10 ounce bottle. How far does it go on something the size of the Ody?

Anyone have a scaffolding system I can erect on top of the Ody?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
OK, let's set a date. Sometime in fall 2006 to spring 2007. We'll find a meeting place that we all can drive to and compare cars.
</font>
What part of the country are you in, Adam?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
And I volunteer to be the anal-retentive freak who polishes the thing every chance he gets. I use Klasse products, however, and not Zaino. So there's still room for other Zainy Zaino freaks to volunteer!

</font>
From what I can tell, Klasse and Zaino are the two top choices for detailers who really want to use the best stuff out there. Take a look at http://autopia-carport.com/forum/forumdisplay.php3?s=24d46a71aab88012cdee2becf2ad4dbe&forumid=3 for discussions of each.

Opinions vary, but preferences seem to be equally divided between the two.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Really, the Zaino program isn't that bad...just costs about $450.00 for the initial supply (which lasts for one treatment of one car), and it only takes 3-1/2 days to apply. (The first coat, that is.) And contrary to previous posts, it's good for longer than 4 weeks!! I get 4-1/2 weeks of protection (on average)!

( hehehe...more Zaino for me and makes my Ody look better in a crowd!
)

Seriously, I think for a lot of us the fun is in the modding and maintenance of our vehicles (do I get an "Amen", Chuck??) I'll never question those who don't Zaino every weekend, for I'm sure they have something in their life that's just as relaxing and fun to them - it just happens to be something different. The point is, do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do. (Wow...that's pretty philosophical for me...)

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Zaino protection; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:

Seriously, I think for a lot of us the fun is in the modding and maintenance of our vehicles (do I get an "Amen", Chuck??) I'll never question those who don't Zaino every weekend, for I'm sure they have something in their life that's just as relaxing and fun to them - it just happens to be something different. The point is, do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do. (Wow...that's pretty philosophical for me...)

</font>
Amen!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
585 Posts
hear hear!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have no idea what that is, really, but a quick look shows the High Gloss Glaze to be a ONE STEP APPLICATION that lasts up to 12 MONTHS.
</font>
OK, here's my deal: I've used Klasse All-In-One for years and years on everything I've owned (from my $3000 motorcycle to my $40,000 Volvo). I love the stuff for several reasons -

1. No dry time required. You wipe it on with a damp towel, and wipe it off immediately before it drys.
2. No white haze stuck to any trim, or in grooves. There is never any haze, so you never have to remove it.
3. It cleans, polishes and protects in ONE application (though two always seem to look better). Big time saver, and why it is called All In One.
4. Cost. Depends on the size bottle you buy, but if you apply as per instructions, it will take probably about 2oz to do the Ody.
5. It lasts longer than anything else I've tried.

Klasse All In One is not a new product. It has been used in the aircraft industry for longer than I've owned cars.

Just recently, I began using the Glaze after the AIO. The beauty and shine that used to last a couple of months now lasts at least six months (12 months is a bit too generous). The glaze is a bit more difficult to apply than the AIO, but works so well, I keep using it. Again, less is more. The biggest mistake people make with this stuff is to use too much. It is then difficult to remove after curing. Many, many coats of this can be applied if you have nothing else to do, and each coat does make it shinier. Two is the most I've ever done.

From what I know, Zaino shines better. But for me, Klasse products end up being cheaper, last longer and are easier to apply. Being a lazy, cheap SOB, those issues are more important to me. I know there are many Zaino zealots out there - and I mean you no harm. Just wanted to spread my thoughts and experiences with Klasse.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
$18 for a 10 ounce bottle. How far does it go on something the size of the Ody?
</font>
I buy both products in the 32oz bottles, and they last me a long, LONG time. In fact, I think I'm only on my second bottle of All In One ever. Consider that it will take about 2oz of AIO and 1-2 oz of the glaze to do a standard car. I use the AIO on the outside windows too. Excellent.

Good point about the scaffold. I've never had a car that was so damn big. Well, I guess nobody has, really. Except for you Excursion owners.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so AIO shows it for "removing oxidized paint" and other things.

Ooooo, that makes me wince when I think of something like that on a new car.

I know, I know. It says it does so without scratching the paint.

On this brand new car, should I just go right to the High Gloss Glaze? Or is AIO really a requirement anyway, even on a new car?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Adam -

Fear not! This is one of the few products available that can remove oxidation chemically. It is as non-abrasive as can be (though anything you use to wipe it on will abrade in some small way).

If you are serious about converting yourself, as you almost seem to be now, you'll want to AIO first, then glaze. The glaze does nothing to clean the paint...it just protects it and makes it shinier. And even if your paint is only a few weeks old, there is pleny of crap on there that you don't really want protected UNDER the glaze.

But if you're REALLY serious, the first thing you want to do is clay the car. This will make your paint feel like glass. I don't mean just shiny and reflective, but truly smooth. So, in order of difficulty, here is the list of stuff you may want to try if you feel adventurous (and you'll have to hand in your "control group" status):

1. AIO (If you're going to use only one product, use this, not the glaze)
2. AIO followed by the glaze (subjectively about 20% better shine, and 300% longer lasting for twice the trouble)
3. Clay, AIO, glaze (for FANTASTIC results)

I use microfiber towels for everything, BTW.

If you just want to try something simple that will yield great results with minimal effort, AIO is the answer. And yes, it is perfect to use on "new" paint. I just did my friend's 1-week-old $130,000 porsche, if that makes you feel any less skittish about using this stuff.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I just did my friend's 1-week-old $130,000 porsche, if that makes you feel any less skittish about using this stuff. </font>
OK, AIO it is. I'll try it one time. I'll probably get bored; I won't turn in my control group status until at least the third application within a year and a half. If I don't make it that far, I get to keep control group status!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, one more question: is this stuff generally available at auto parts stores, or is it kinda exclusive and difficult to find?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can see the categories now-Zaino Zealots, Klasse Kommandos, Mothers Little Helpers (sorry Mick), Meguiers' Jerrys (no offense, Jerry O, just a play on the movie title!) and so on. I am personally a Mothers man, but that is mainly because I bought a bunch of their 3-step products for a good deal awhile ago. When I run out, I guess I will have to choose sides.

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console
Foglights
Tranny Cooler

Coming up: In dash 6 CD Changer
Glove Box Light
Kelton Sub
Honda wood/leather steering wheel

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyfox:
I am personally a Mothers man</font>
Funny, I thought the phrase was a little different.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh, one more question: is this stuff generally available at auto parts stores, or is it kinda exclusive and difficult to find?</font>
Just like with Zaino, you won't be finding Klasse at the standard auto parts chain stores. Most auto "specialty" or "European" shops will have it/them. Tons of online sources as well. Personally, I wish Walmart or Target would start carrying this stuff.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

1 - 20 of 34 Posts