Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to report that my recent DIY transmission repair was a success! The symptoms I was having I've posted in other threads recently, though if you want, I can post again in this thread.

I started out by cleaning the three screens and blew out the solenoids up top, as per the nice instructions provided in another thread. One thing I can add to that is I removed the battery tray which made things somewhat easier than described in the instructions.

On my transmission, only one of those screens had any crud in it, and it was not very much at that. I also tested the solenoids by connecting them to the battery and verifying they clicked on/off nice and positive.

I have to say, seeing that those screens were not blocked made me apprehensive about my chances of success.

Next I went at the Shift solenoid A/B assembly. Getting that off was definitely a bugger, but fortunately I'm not a real big guy so I can actually climb on top of the engine if I need too get a better angle at stuff. I would note that I removed the bolts from the engine lift bracket so it was easier to get a wrench at the A/B solenoid bolts.

When I finally got that assembly off, I was like, YES :cool: :cool: :cool: the one screen was totally covered with gunk! When I tested them, the one did not make a nice, positive click. Rather it seemed a little "lazy". That could just be because it had oil in the valve, but I imagine that it's also possible that the solenoid itself could get contaminated. At any rate, I didn't bother cleaning it because I had purchased a new one.

I got that back on and then it was on to the two single solenoids that are on the front of the tranny. I'm not sure what those do, but they have tiny little screens in them so I thought it important to change them as well. I had to take the starter off to get at the top one, but that wasn't very hard at all -- just needed a "cheater" bar to extend my breaker-bar because the bolts were in TIGHT. Neither of those had the screens blocked and they seemed to work ok when testing them on the battery, but since I had already bought new ones, I just put them in.

At that point, it was just a matter of putting it all back together and trying it out.

Well, I took it out for a ride and, damn if it didn't work! I was feeling good about things, but I still wasn't totally convinced. Since the van only sat for about 6 hours I thought there could still be a chance it wasn't totally "cold". The moment of truth would be the next morning.

Well, this morning we took it to church. It was about 33'F outside and I'm happy to say it shifted through all gears just great!

Now, I'm not one to be too optimistic. I won't say it shifts like a new transmission -- the shift it still a little "soft" vs. how it used to be. But at least it shifts through all the gears. And if I bought myself a year or two more, it was well worth 5 hours labor and $150 in parts!

·
Registered
201 Posts
2002 EX-L

GREAT POST! and a job well done from what you reported , I am going to perform this task soon and will add to this thread the results ,a pfd file created by HERRHAUS " I think it was him " is available here ( I downloaded it ) and show great pics on this to anyone interested search " Pressure Solenoid Screen " should get ya there :D . I would like to know the year of your Ody and the mileage at the time of the work you just did :cool:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Preventative maintenance

OddFella said:
Here's a picture of the blocked screen. I took it with my phone so it's not the greatest. I'm sure some fluid was still making it through but it had to have been severely restricted.
Do you have or have you considered installing a magnefine?
did you change the OEm filter while you along with the solenoids (since you already had the battery tray out)??

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm glad you got it fixed. Your problems did sound like a clogged screenbad solenoid since it was a lazy first shift as your first symptom.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2000 Odyssey with about 128k on it.

I thought it was the 5-speeds that had an OEM filter? Do the 4-speeds?

I have a spin-on filter which I installed about 1½ yrs ago. I changed it a few weeks ago when I did the 5+ qt fluid change.

FYI, here is cut-and-paste from a different thread describing just what my tranny was doing:

At 127k my 2000 is acting up. Won't shift into 2nd until it's warmed up (it just goes into "neutral" and the engine revs) I have to hold it in 1st until I'm going about 40mph then let it upshift right to 3rd. Once it upshifts to 3rd or 4th, it doesnt go back into 1st, so if I come to a stop and pull the lever back down to "1" I'm actually starting out in 3rd (I guess, that's what it feels like anyway). If I'd let it in D3 or D4, it'll try and start out in 2nd and thus just sit there. After driving it for 10 mins that'll clear up, but downshifting from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st under load still results in brief rev between gears. I bought the van at 87k and don't know the history, but since I've owned it I've done numerous drain/fills, added a cooler and spin on filter, and drive it very easy. I just had the timing belt maintenance done at the local Honda dealer and I had them "check" the tranny. ("check" = take it for a test drive) It seemed like they were downplaying the problem, as if it wasn't anything that bad, and suggested I have them do a fluid flush (3 drain/fills, not a power flushing)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice job OddFella.
Nice to see someone do something to fix a Ody than just talk trash about them. Nice work. This may help others if need be.

OddFella:worship:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats on your victory. You should be good for another thousands of miles. I did the same procedure you just did 13k miles ago and just did it again last week because symptoms came back but with slippage between 1 and second. But its good again for the moment. You should be good for a while if u pamper the tranny!

·
Registered
201 Posts
2002 EX-L

A Magnfine Filter would be a great add on as bbylon5 mentioned and a trans cooler if you haven`t all ready , your trans does not have the OEM spin on filter ,this is only on the 5 speed uh I think 2002 and up:um: now its my turn to step up to the plate and GET r DONE :usa:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nitorious said:
Congrats on your victory. You should be good for another thousands of miles. I did the same procedure you just did 13k miles ago and just did it again last week because symptoms came back but with slippage between 1 and second. But its good again for the moment. You should be good for a while if u pamper the tranny!
Ugh...it only gave you another 13k? I was hoping for more than that. But hey, even that will be more than a year for me. Oh, and I do totally drive this thing easy whenever possible. (I have an MR2 turbo for when I'm feeling the need for speed :cool: ) I am curious though, did you have clogged screens both times? Was it that same one that was clogged for me? Do you have a magnfine or other filter installed?

I am starting to think that the mode of failure for these transmissions is: normal wear-and-tear causes the screens to clog. The more they clog, the worse the wear-and-tear is, becoming a snowball effect until total failure. I wonder if these trans would've had a good filter installed from day-1 (and replaced on schedule) if it would've helped substantially with failures.

Chariot, don't worry, I've had a cooler and filter installed for a while now. I don't have a magnfine however, just a regular engine oil filter which I change when I do a drain/fill.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
odcouple2 said:
Nice job OddFella.
Nice to see someone do something to fix a Ody than just talk trash about them. Nice work. This may help others if need be.

OddFella:worship:
Thank you.....oh I won't say I never trash talked them, but in the end I do like the Odyssey--enough that I was willing to spend a whole day working on it! And even if I did have to put a new tranny in it, the rest of it has held up well (er, except for the motor mounts) so it would STILL be cheaper than buying a new van.

If you wanted to hear a potty-mouth, you should've heard me cuss up a storm getting those solenoid bolts out!

·
Registered
482 Posts
OddFella said:
I am starting to think that the mode of failure for these transmissions is: normal wear-and-tear causes the screens to clog. The more they clog, the worse the wear-and-tear is, becoming a snowball effect until total failure. I wonder if these trans would've had a good filter installed from day-1 (and replaced on schedule) if it would've helped substantially with failures.
That's why the filter is on the 02+. but failure rate is still fairly high

·
Registered
54 Posts
OddFella said:
Ugh...it only gave you another 13k? I was hoping for more than that. But hey, even that will be more than a year for me. Oh, and I do totally drive this thing easy whenever possible. (I have an MR2 turbo for when I'm feeling the need for speed :cool: ) I am curious though, did you have clogged screens both times? Was it that same one that was clogged for me? Do you have a magnfine or other filter installed?

I had the same clogged filter like you on my shift solenoid and one clogged on the linear solenoid. I think that shift solenoid gets the most beating out of the rest. Even though it clicks when i throw current, i still think its already weak and should purchase a new just to see if any difference. But yea i got the magnefine filter thats it. I drive my 07Civic Si sedan on the weekends when i get a break away from the wife and rugrats (try like 1.5hrs :( LOL).

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Congratulations ODDFELLA! Glad to hear that things are working out for you.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
OddFella said:

I thought it was the 5-speeds that had an OEM filter? Do the 4-speeds?
[/I]
First off, Tthanks for your informing post.

Only the five speeds have the OEM filter.
I'm the forum member who discovered the existence of that filter
and pointed it out to other forum members years ago.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2655
Btw. I've yet to change mine while several other people have. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
sweet, thanks for the link.

I've been collecting and printing out various DIY's for the van lately anticipating that having them will motivate me to repair problems as opposed to buying a new car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
01 instructions

if anyone can point me to instructions for cleaning the solenoid screens on an 01, I'd appreciate it!
Also, If I install a magnefine, why not remove the screens entirely?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts