Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a deposit down on a ODY but the only thing I signed was a sheet of paper that said what I agreed to pay for it. I didn't even get a copy of it. 1) Can the dealer back out of it? Since I have seen posts where the dealers are backing out of deals. 2) Can they try to get more out of me for add ons like the cargo tray, mud flaps, etc. Even though the paper say the price agreed on plus tax and tags only.

FYI the dealership here does aftermarket add ons and I am getting a sunroof and 13" flip down entertainment unit. The sunroof has a lifetime warranty on it and I specifically asked them about the AC not working in the back very well after installation. They said they have done many of these and had NO problems. Anybody have some suggestions for checking it out when I get it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Originally posted by kendar55:
I put a deposit down on a ODY but the only thing I signed was a sheet of paper that said what I agreed to pay for it.

I too did this; gave them a $500 deposit, and was quoted a price. Since then I've been wondering the same thing, what if someone came in on delivery day, offered them 2k over, would they sell it out from under me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm sure there are good and not so good dealers out there. I put a $500 deposit in July for a '02 EXL-NAV expected in September or latest by October (could give me a 2001 in August). I signed a piece of paper (dealer did not sign anything) and did get a copy (not much to speak of though). The dealer offered me the van at MSRP with splash guards, gold package and either cargo tray or cargo mat, 3 options at no additional charge.

I got the van on October 19 with splash guards, gold package, cargo tray AND cargo mat as well as leather steering wheel cover (5 options) at no additional charge. Great dealer (he says he currently has 35 Odysseys on back-order) and super service - I would recommend this dealer without hesitation!

However, this does not guarantee anything about any other deals or dealers (just letting you know my experience). Hope all works out well for both kendar55 and poncho1965!

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's what we did, only it's been a month and they haven't even cashed our check.

We like our guys, so hopefully they won't pull one over on us...

------------------
-Andrew Starks

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you look at your sales order, buyer's order (or similar document), you'll probably find language to the effect that 'this order shall not become binding until accepted by the dealer's authorized representative'. Typical dealer trick = they don't sign.

I got burned years ago at a Jeep dealership. One of the **owners** and I had negotiated a price for the new vehicle and my trade. The terms were reduced to writing on their sales form. When I returned later (the same day!), they refused to complete the transaction. Someone, it appeared, was of the opinion that my trade wasn't worth as much as the negotiated price. They used the fact that no one had approved the sale to back out of the deal and, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I walked out (never to return).

You'd think I would have known better several years later when I negotiated a deal on a Suburban.....nope! I placed a deposit, signed the sales document, and walked out of the dealership before I realized that the dealer acceptance line was blank. Fortunately, the transaction was completed. Unfortunately, however, I wound up owning a GM product.

Contracts for the sale of goods of $500 or more, with limited exceptions, must be evidenced by a writing and **signed by the party to be charged** to be enforceable. Generally, therefore, the dealer is under no obligation without signing the sales document.

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kendar55:
I put a deposit down on a ODY but the only thing I signed was a sheet of paper that said what I agreed to pay for it. I didn't even get a copy of it. </font>
I assume you put your deposite with "BxxxxS" Honda in Gxxx Bxxxxx, right? Because your story sounds exactly like what BxxxxS did to me in August. I came home almost empty handed... except for a $500 credit card receipt. I am not saying that BxxxxS is not a good dealer, but I don't feel comfortable with way they handle Odyssey orders. (It's a long story...) Anyway, I got my money back from BxxxxS four weeks later and ordered my current Odyssey from another dealer.

If you don't mind traveling across the Bay Bridge, I would suggest you to try Dxxxx Wxxxxxx Honda in Easton. I know it's a little bit away from Baltimore, but the waiting time for an Ody is much, much shorter than other dealers in Baltimore-Washington DC area. (I got my van for at least 6 to 8 weeks earlier than BxxxxS' earliest "estimate" delivery time.) Most important of all, they did sign a purchase order agreement and gave me a coppy of it. Ask for Chuck and tell him that Sidney send you to him.

Good luck.

Sid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am buying from College Park Honda which in the past has not had the greatest reputation. We'll see. The wait time for the Honda I wanted was going to be 4 weeks - the shortest of the surrounding dealers. And they told me last week that it was on the truck. So I am hoping I'll get it this week. If it doesn't work out I'll check out the dealer in Easton.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sid, Were you buying your Odyssey using the UBS services or just an outright deal at Bxxxxx. I've got a 2002 on order with them now and was told by the UBS people that it would be a four months wait.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am buying from College Park Honda which in the past has not had the greatest reputation. We'll see. The wait time for the Honda I wanted was going to be 4 weeks - the shortest of the surrounding dealers. And they told me last week that it was on the truck. So I am hoping I'll get it this week. If it doesn't work out I'll check out the dealer in Easton.</font>
From College Park? God bless you! It's one of the worst in this area. They use lots of tricks to get you. I would say Bxxxxx is a much better dealer than College Park. Like I said, the only thing I don't like Bxxxxx is the way they handle ody's orders. Other than that, it is not a bad dealer at all. But, College Park??? I wouldn't buy an ody from them even it's in their lot. Since you have already placed an order with them, please, please at least do one thing for yourself: Don't let them add ANY aftermarket accessories to your van. You can get better deals else where. Don't listen to their suggestions. Buy your van at or below MSRP and then LEAVE. Those thing do not need to be installed there. If they really have done "many of those and had NO problems," ask for a reference. Have you seen MANY ody's with sunroofs in this area? I haven't seen one yet... Oh, since your van was on the truck, ask them to give you the VIN. And one last thing: Beware of their last minute trick. Good luck!

Sid

[This message has been edited by ody2002 (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J R Jensen:
Sid, Were you buying your Odyssey using the UBS services or just an outright deal at Bxxxxx. I've got a 2002 on order with them now and was told by the UBS people that it would be a four months wait.</font>
No, I am not the one who bought it through UBS. It seems that cmmeyers is the one who bought his Ody through UBS and was also directed to Bxxxxx. Four months seems to be quite normal for UBS. After all, money = time!
Don't worry about Bxxxxx, their people are nice. I simply didn't like the way they handled Ody orders. But, since you placed your order through UBS, I don't think you'll need to worry about it.

Sid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know they are one of the worse dealers but they had an ODY in 4 weeks - the one I wanted. I don't plan on buying any of the accessories from them - I've scoped out the prices at Handa.com. The agreed price was $300 below MSRP although they are more than making up for it on the sunroof and entertainment system. We'll see... if they want more money for the extras I plan on holding firm. I'll let you know the results! I should find out in a week or two. Nov. 15 was the delivery date. If it doesn't come by then I can get my deposit back.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The agreed price was $300 below MSRP although they are more than making up for it on the sunroof and entertainment system.</font>
Don't let them add the sunroof or entertainment system for you. Take your van with MSRP-300 and then add those options from other credible installers. For example, I would suggest you to search ASC's website before installing your sunroof. (ASC is the manufacturer for most of Honda and Acura's sunroofs and s2000's convertible system.) http://www.americansunroofcompany.com/

Anyway, hope that everything would be fine with you.

Sid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it is Nov. 15 - the supposed delivery date and no Odyssey! I asked the dealer don't you have a way to track the vehicle once it is made? ie VIN number tracking! Their response: We don't know until it shows up on the truck. What do you say to that!?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well it is Nov. 15 - the supposed delivery date and no Odyssey! I asked the dealer don't you have a way to track the vehicle once it is made? ie VIN number tracking! Their response: We don't know until it shows up on the truck. What do you say to that!?</font>
Didn't he tell you that your van had already been on the truck?? Anyway, no VIN usually means your van has not been built yet. Once your van being built, your dealer should receive the VIN from Honda (either by fax or by email). Even though you can't get the VIN before then your dealer should have alredy received your van's "estimating production time" by now. Every dealer receives such information at least once a week. You can ask the manager to show it to you. My dealer showed me the estimating production list at least 2 weeks before the estimating date (it's a 5 day period) and informed me the VIN 2 days after that time period. I then received my van two weeks later.

Sid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Sid! I have given up. I told them I wanted my deposit back. As I said before the only reason I "ordered" one from them was that they would get one in a month. Now that that hasn't happened I'll take my money back and go somewhere else next year. I was hoping to avoid repairs on my OLD car this year by just getting the van, but now it looks like I'll have to do the repairs anyway so there is no point of buying the van. They were so stupid - with all the extras I was going to get they were going to make decent money on me and they just let me walk out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Another example showing why that dealer should be avoided... I am sorry to hear that you won't be able to get the van. Hope you would still choose to join us next year!!

Sid

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree. College Park Honda is terrible. Their ads are the most deceptive (dare I say pure lies) that I have ever seen. Beyond poor service in every aspect of the sale. The only reason I ordered from them was short delivery time, they said 2 wks and it was here in 7 days. They also threw in mud guards and cross bars and I paid MSRP. Still though, they are horrible and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I tore them a new one on the survey, even though they said they would give me a $100 gift certificate if I gave them all 5's on the survey. Terrible, terrible, terrible!

·
Registered
11 Posts
College Park Honda is the worest Honda dealer in Maryland. The sales managers are the only ones that can talk to a customer on the sale of Odyssey there. The sales people at that dealership CAN NOT sell Odyssey because this dealership keeps all the profits!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts