Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 SS EX Ody on order and have some questions about purchase of the I-VES system. Is this system a genuine Honda accessory? Are you able to plug in a DVD player somehow and play DVD's on the TV? Some dealers don't offer the I-VES option but instead sell an Audiovox TV-VCR unit and/or a Panasonic TV-DVD unit. How do they compare to the I-VES unit? Are you able to get any regular TV reception on any of these units or are they only good for playing tapes/DVD's?

Any comments from those who have TV's installed in their vans would be much appreciated.

vangirl

'00 Red S2000
'00 Black Civic EX
Soon to be the proud owner of an '01 SS EX Odyssey!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have an '01 SS EX Ody on order and have some questions about purchase of the I-VES system. Is this system a genuine Honda accessory?</font>
Yes, the i-VES is a genuine Honda accessory.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are you able to plug in a DVD player somehow and play DVD's on the TV?</font>
It has inputs for Audio and Video from an outside source like a DVD player (or a PlaystationII which also plays DVD's)
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Some dealers don't offer the I-VES option but instead sell an Audiovox TV-VCR unit and/or a Panasonic TV-DVD unit.</font>
I can't comment on the quality of the other systems, however from my experience at the last dealer I worked for they generally sell aftermarket items in place of the Honda ones because they have a lower cost to them so they can make more of a markup on them. This is especially popular with alarms and wheels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are you able to get any regular TV reception on any of these units</font>
The Honda system doesn't have a tuner built in. They say that they tried several different antenna setups and weren't able to come up with one that gave them acceptable reception so they left it off of the system.

Pictures of an i-VES installed in an Odyssey:
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/odyssey/ives.jpg

-Trevor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info. Also appreciate your pointing out the other category. I'm new and didn't notice it before. I'll read all the posts there and if have more questions, I'll put them in the proper place! Right now, I have an i-ves on order with my van but really wish it was a DVD unit and not an old technology VCR.

vangirl

'00 Red S2000
'00 Black Civic EX
Soon the proud owner of an '01 SS Ody EX!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
One other option would be to check your local car stereo shops. Most of them should be able to install a nice DVD based system for probably as much or less than the dealer is charging for their system. My wife and I looked into this option, but there are a few advantages to buying the IVES - the integration is very clean, it is covered by the vehicle warranty when the dealer installs it before delivery, and you can roll the cost into your loan.

I was torn between VHS and DVD. Most of our kid's videos are on VHS, but everything new we buy is on DVD if possible, so we are starting to get a good collection of both (no way I am replacing all those VHS tapes at $20-25 a pop for kids movies). I think the best suggestion I have seen here is to get a Sony Playstation 2, which can play DVDs also, and plug it into the input jacks. That way, we have the built-in VHS, DVD through the playstation, and a video game system for when our kids get older (my oldest is only 4 now). The playstation 2 is about $299 - you won't find one designed for a car for less than that, and the ones made for home are too bulky to put in a van.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sony Playstation is a really great idea (my 14 year old cheered when I relayed your suggestion to my husband!). Do you need some sort of adapter to power the unit? I apologize in advance for the dumb questions but since I don't have my Ody yet, I'm uncertain as to how these things might work. Would it plug into a cigarette lighter outlet or is there an electrical outlet of some kind? Could the Playstation be permanently mounted under the passenger seat? Any info on how you have this set up would be much appreciated.

vangirl

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, you need a power inverter. These are available everywhere from Costco ($29) to Target ($39), Pep Boys, etc.

I noticed that Walgreens actually has a 2-plug inverter (400 watts max as opposed to 175 watts for single plug) for $49 where Target sells the same brand even for $59. Its one of those rare instances where a drugstore is cheaper than a 'discount' store.

PS, It looks like a little box/transformer that has a DC adapter on a cable (cigarette lighter thingie) and then a regular-looking 3-prong outlet on the box itself along w/ a on/off switch. Think of it as looking somewhat like a surge-protector & you get the idea.

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I can't tell you how we did it, because our van is still on order. We are also waiting on an SS EX (w/ Nav), and we just had another dealer call us and he will have one in a week, so we will be getting our van about 4 weeks earlier than planned!

Anyway, you should be able to mount the playstation permanently in the van. If you can't figure out how to do it, take it to a car stereo shop, and I'm sure they'll find something creative. Also, I am pretty sure the Playstation 2 can sit horizontally or vertically, so you have the option to mount it in whatever position works the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts