Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had it installed in my 2001 TW EX and tested it tonight. The pix looked really good and very clear. The headphones worked nicely. Since I have HCW, I don't have to worry about it going bad. Overall, I give a thumb up for this expensive gizmo.

------------------
_ ____ _

Mommy

·
Registered
82 Posts
How is the viewing in the second row vs. the third row? Any difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the picture from behind the cargo area and it seemed fine to me. What I will do today is to have my daughter going to the back seat and let her do the checking. So, stay tuned.

[This message has been edited by mommyof4 (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
my buddy benny installed one in a silver ex
and the following saturday a salesman was watching boxing on it! i opened the tailgate and stood out the back,my knees against the back bumper and the view was ok!
i still want a bigger screen for our 01 lx!
just my preference!my wife wants a dvd instead of the vcr!

[This message has been edited by santandr (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Dude...you gotta go w/ the PS2 for DVD player then! Its the same price (more or less) as a portable DVD player. Believe me, I've looked all over for a cheaper alternative; but barring those awful $89 DVD players at Target (which are too big & ugly to go under the seat anyway) that's about the best you can do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Dude...you gotta go w/ the PS2 for DVD player then! Its the same price (more or less) as a portable DVD player. Believe me, I've looked all over for a cheaper alternative; but barring those awful $89 DVD players at Target (which are too big & ugly to go under the seat anyway) that's about the best you can do.</font>
The DVD player that comes with the kit discussed in this thread looks nice and small. Pretty cute.

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's true; but you have to buy their whole system for well over $1k.

I'm talking about $599 for the wireless traveltheater (LCD, reciever & 2 wireless headphones) and another $299 for the PS2 (plus $25 or so for a power inverter). Its all removable and quite easy to install yourself.

(personally I don't like people messing around with my cars if possible; even the dealer. I can't help but feel I'm *always* going to be a little more careful doing it myself no matter how good your installer/dealer may be.)

Seahorse has put one in...speaking of which; how is it holding up after 3 months? Been on anymore trips lately? He bought the whole unit which included a VCP. I don't really want a VCP.

·
Registered
20 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Seahorse has put one in...speaking of which; how is it holding up after 3 months? Been on anymore trips lately? He bought the whole unit which included a VCP. I don't really want a VCP.</font>
It has been on two more road trips and a half dozen cross-town trips (we're talking Houston, which would qualify as road trips in most states), and it is holding up just fine. It makes traveling with kids so much kinder and gentler that I would install one on the motorcycle if it was a kid hauler!

I did finally send back the wireless headphones, but haven't tried to replace them yet. I really should, though, because the built-in speakers sound a little tinnier now that I put Infinities up front.

Gary

·
Registered
585 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by seahorse:
It has been on two more road trips and a half dozen cross-town trips (we're talking Houston, which would qualify as road trips in most states)</font>
LOL I hear you. I had a friend who lived in Champions Forest and I was down in Bellaire. We used to hang out 2 or 3 nights a week after work...geez; it was miserable for both of us; about a 45 minute drive each way.

I moved to Houston right around the time Huey Lewis & the News performed on the new Beltway 8 for the grand opening and they had to shut it down the next day when it opened for traffic because all the cars were sliding around in the beer slush from the concert. That was my introduction to Houston.

------------------
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have installed The jensen drop down unit and a jensen Hifi vcr. My total cost has been $650 for everything. I have a PS2 that I have taken on trips as well. The picture quality and output are excellent. I just lay it on the floor under the center tray. Normally I keep the unit in my sons room. I have shaken the PS2 and not been able to get it to skip. The only disadvantage is the powere inverter. I do like the looks of the new Audiovox system in another thread. Why didn't Honda do a better system for their premium price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After living with the i-VES for a few days, I really think it was money well-spent. The temperature range for operation is around 14 degree F to 130 or so. The drop-down screen did not interfere with my back view at all. Also, having everything out of the way and bolted down works well for us with little kids. After surviving a car accident not that long ago, I firmly believe all these equipments should be stowed away. Saving money is a great virtue; but, kids are much more important in terms of safety, both inside and outside the van.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's great that the system is working out well for you. That's one of the neat things about this board; lots of different ideas, everyone has an opportunity to see how people like different setups, and can figure out what might work best for them based on how similar there needs and priorities are to others in the group! Thanks for all the postings in this area - and in another year or so, there will probably be 11" monitors that will be perfect for widescreen DVDs and for less than $1K! Then the whole family will sit in back, except for the (uh oh, I think it's gonna be me) unlucky driver.

Which reminds me, TOYMAN, have you done the Dolby 5.1 install yet?

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just curious if anyone shares my concern about kids developing short-sightedness and astigmatism as a result of watching a teeny screen for an extended length of time while the vehicle is in motion?

Having both eye conditions myself, I am extremely wary of anything that may affect my kids' eyes (e.g. reading without enough lighting or while lying down on their backs).

My understanding is that eye development in kids is ongoing until they reach mid-teens.
If that's the case, I would think that letting them watch a small screen in your car can be a problem. Remember that their eyes are not focused straight ahead, and that they have to adjust to all the bouncing motion of the car (the Ody's suspension set-up is firm enough that you can tell all the minute cracks or bumps on the roads). Not to mention the fact that they will maintain this eye position for about two hours or more.

I am just as interested as all of you to be able to keep the precious ones silent during a long trip. However, I do have misgivings
about the potential downside of a video system.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
255 Posts
An interesting question, ca12394, but since I'm not an opthamologist I can't render an expert opinion. I can say that my 2 younguns grew up watching a cheap TV/VCR combo unit sitting on the floor of our old (*gag*) Chrysler minivan...come to think of it, they both have to wear contacts now! Seriously, I think their eye conditions are due more to the defective genes they inherited from their grossly nearsighted parents than from any eye strain they may have encountered while on car trips.

IMHO, I don't think the relatively short time a kid spends looking at a TV screen in a vehicle would do any long-term damage to their developing vision. If it concerns you, though, might not be a bad idea to turn off the TV every now and then and play some sort of game that forces them to look outside the vehicle at far-off objects - to strengthen the opposite eye muscles from those used to focus on nearby things (such as TV screens in the van).

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That is a good point though; please dont confuse our zealousness for getting an AV system for our vans with the idea that we're planning on taking a 20,000 road trip w/ the tv on non-stop. I think the people on here just want a good system that is also safe in accidents situations.

One of the things that crossed my mind when deciding which unit to get is that I can completely remove the traveltheater (sans mounting bolts) when I want. Also, I think a 2 hour movie is plenty to keep the kids entertained at a spot. I definitely don't plan on running movies back-to-back on it; but rather to do other things (like take rest stops; play road-games or just talk with the kids) the rest of the time.

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, groupset and nyvram, for the quick reply!

You guys do have a point about taking breaks. Now I can start researching for the system that suits us best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't let my kids watch the i-VES unless we are going on a long trip. While I do bring a video with me on some around town trips, I only put it in when they have been running errands with me all over the metroplex for hours. I think by then, they deserve a treat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts