Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I would like to replace the oddy's stock antenna with a shorter one like one of those on the walkie talkie or on the VW's car. These short rubber-like kinds look sturdier than the one that comes with the oddy. Would someone suggest one that will fit the Oddy? Thanks.

·
1,484 Posts
Man you are a newbie. Anyways, you could use the antenna from an s2000. Go to the TECH section an look for "Honda S2000 Antenna Mod by Chuck Konarske" to find out what's involved in the swap.

Here's a pic of my swap:

-nemogira

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, I'm a newbie at heart, but I hope I'll be an oldie some day --- soon when I have some time with my new oddy. Thanks for the tip. I checked out Chuck's mod on the attenna, but he mentioned the "chair tip cover" and some sort of screw extention that I need to attach to the S2000's attenna. Are these (chair tip cover, screw extension) something I can get from the hardware store easily? By the way, what did you use for the screw extension & the cover? Thanks.

·
1,484 Posts
Just kidding. I was once a newbie. Okay, down to business. The "screw extension" is nothing more than just a longer piece of thread with a nut. The "chair tip cover" was just a rubber foot under one of Chuck's chairs. Basically you just need something black that could cover the new extended thread. I used a plastic foot stump from an old tape deck. I then put black 3 black rubber rings (or washers) around that cover. The things you could find at the hardware store are:

• Long Thread (make sure it's the same diameter as the antenna's thread)
  • Nut (make sure it fits both threads)
  • Optional: Rubber Rings (make sure it fits around the chosen cover. Most likely it would be in the Plumbing or Gardening area of the store)
  • You could probably also find something similar to what we did for the covers at the hardware store. If not, just look around the house. You're bound to find something.

Good Luck!!!

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot Nemo. I will follow your advice. By the way, you folks maintain a great board. I have learned so much from this board that I think I'll graduate from the Oddy School for Newbie sooner than I thought. Anyway, I am sure many people appreciate you all for sharing the much needed information about your vans. Thanks again.

------------------
'01 Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
1,484 Posts
Oh and one more thing. When you do go to the hardware store remember to also pick up something called "Thread Lock" (or something of the sort). Its a very strong adhesive used to really tighten screwed in items. It will prevent anyone from unscrewing and running away with your antenna. Trust me...its just that easy. I've heard a lot of s2000 owners complaining about the theft of their antennas. Apparently it's also usable on VW Golfs, Jettas, Toyota Celicas, and now the Odyssey.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Do I get extra credit for two?

Ody Antenna

Celica Antenna

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics & projects.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Are you serious? My Ody remote has a helluva range. About 5 or 6 times the distance of the Toyota remote. It's the Toyota remote that needs the S2000 antenna!

So what are you gonna do, put an S2000 antenna on your remote?

------------------
Chuck

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
Are you serious? My Ody remote has a helluva range. About 5 or 6 times the distance of the Toyota remote. It's the Toyota remote that needs the S2000 antenna!

So what are you gonna do, put an S2000 antenna on your remote?

</font>
Just joking.
Yeah I know - the Odyssey's remote IS noticable stronger than the Toyota remotes. Speaking of Toyotas, here's a pic of my Dad's Sienna with an s2000 antenna. Yup, that's right - it fits on there too.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Did you have to adapt it for the Sienna? The Celica didn't require anything except screwing it right on. Took about 20 seconds.

------------------
Chuck

·
1,484 Posts
Did you have to adapt it for the Sienna? The Celica didn't require anything except screwing it right on. Took about 20 seconds.

</font>
No, we did it the same way as the Odyssey. The thread wasn't long enough for the Sienna either.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Since you obviously get to compare Ody and Sienna side by side pretty often, what are your observations? How do they compare in day to day life?

------------------
Chuck

·
1,484 Posts
Since you obviously get to compare Ody and Sienna side by side pretty often, what are your observations? How do they compare in day to day life?

</font>
Well the Odyssey and my dad's 98 Sienna are both very good minivans. But stangely enough - they're almost totally different. Almost day and night. It really depends on your personal preference.

Power
The Sienna has a very strong and confident engine. Like if you floored it - you'll definitely feel it kick. Unlike ours where its more gradual. Not until the 2nd or 3rd gear you feel the engine kick in. But both are very good at merging into freeway speeds,

Ride & Handling
The handling is noticably better in the Odyssey. But the ride is much smoother in Sienna. The big bumps in the road are numbed by it's softer suspension. But it also feels like you're floating. Not always a good thing. In the Odyssey you really feel it gripping the road.

Manuvering
For normal driving around town I would have to give it to the Odyssey. The position of the driver feels like your manuevering a car than a 4000 lb van. The Sienna feels more like a medium size truck or a large luxury sedan. I think it somewhat has to do with the size and position of the hood. The Odyssey's hood is more slanted and short. Giving you better visibility in the front.

Exterior
I've gotten use to the tailgate's door handle on the Sienna. It's seems more natural and better hidden than the Odyssey's. The entering height is higher on the Sienna. The Sienna has a accessory running board and it's definitely put to good use. The Sienna's side mirrors are more of a short, wider shape. As opposed to the Ody's taller, narrower mirrors. Both styles have their advantages/disadvantages. I think the Sienna's are good for lane changing while the Odyssey's are good for manuvering like parking or reversing.

Interior
I like the materials used in the Sienna better (Please note: XLE model). They seem more durable than the Odysseys hard plastic ones. Also, the arm rests seem to be more well thought out in the Sienna. Better cushioning. In the Sienna they put a carpet mat on the lower door pockets. This is good because in the Odyssey when enter/exiting you usually scuff those lower pockets.

The radio is a bit low and flat for my taste though. But I like the position of the P, R, N. D, etc. in the Sienna. It's in the middle - not to the right like the Odyssey. Although it's good to have that speedometer in the middle (Ody). I don't know - take you're pic.

The rear seat in the Sienna is pretty small and cramped. Only good for short trips. I tried the rolling feature of the back seats and it's a nice little feature. Good for making "some" room. But when I compared the carrying cababilities on different trips to Costco - the Odyssey wins hands down. There's much more room in the Ody. Stranglely, I like the seats in either of them. Although based on my reports on the ride and handling - I think the seats should've been switch at birth
. I like how it's possible to fully recline the seats in every row in the Sienna but I have to admit the 2 seat tricks in the Odyssey are pretty cool.

The Sienna lays out all their cupholders nicely. Easy to reach. Although you would most likely have to drink out of large bottles than a soda can. Much like the Odyssey's the center cupholder in the front can always be improved upon.

I think the Odyssey does a better job in lighting the overall interior. The Sienna is more like an airplane's reading lights. But I do like how the light automatically goes out whether a door is fully closed or not. But I don't like how it doesn't have an overide switch on the dash like the Ody.

I like the convienence of the forward facing key ignition in the Sienna. Easier to find in the dark. Although at stops (if you have other keys and stuff attached to it) expect them to hit on the the dash.

I like the sunroof in the Sienna. Helps open up the space in the front and allows fresh air in without adding much wind noise.

The Sienna's button for the rear windows is in the middle of the dash. I think this is both good and bad. Good, because the passenger can access the button. Bad, because the driver would have to work a littler harder to open them. Also, the Odyssey's rear windows are independent from each other.

Well that's about does it. One thing I would like to add is the Sienna holds better on up hills. What I mean is if you're at an uphill stop you wouldn't need to quickly switch between the brake and gas once the light is green. So that's about it. My conclusion is the Odyssey and Sienna are both very reliable vans. They are often compared to each other (and I see why). But they are also two different vehicles and it's based on your needs to tell which is better. Either way you'll end with a great & reliable minivan. If you have any other questions about the Sienna I would be more than happy to answer them.

Whew!
-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont like that S2000 antenna (sorry
)

Anyway, I do not know where the factory keyless entry module is located in the car. I will look for it next time. The module will probably have a FCC code on it (the only metal box in the car with FCC code on it) - Once you locate the module, I am almost sure you will find an antenna of the unit. It may be encased in white plastic or otherwise. Do this at your own risk. Take a piece of 18 gauge insulated wire, attach it to the end (cut off end of antenna) and extend it about 4-5 feet, go up the A-Pillar if you can. This should extend your range on the factory transmitters. Good luck. I did this with a lot of factory keyless systems and it works well.

P.S. Make sure the end of your extension does not chaff or ground anywhere.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for the very complete Ody/Sienna analysis, Nestor. It pretty much confirms my gut-level impression from the test drives I took when I was shopping around.

------------------
Chuck

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TAllen:
how about an insight antenna:

(edited 06-12-2001).]
</font>
Trevor,

I always wondered about that one. But it will still be "wibbly wobbley" in the wind like the stock antenna - but just shorter. But how long is the screw compared to the s2000?

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
75 Posts
The screw at the bottom is the same length as the S2000 one so unfortunatly it wouldn't be an easier fit for the Odyssey.

-Trevor

<object>
<param name=movie value="http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/title.swf">
<param name=quality value=high>
<embed src="http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/title.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="364" height="60">
</embed>
</object>

[This message has been edited by TAllen (edited 06-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by TAllen (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Registered
255 Posts
toyman said:
Anyway, I do not know where the factory keyless entry module is located in the car. I will look for it next time. The module will probably have a FCC code on it (the only metal box in the car with FCC code on it)
I believe I saw it when the glove box was removed. It was directly under the A pillar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts