Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I brought my wife's 2005 Ody in for the master cylinder recall this morning. When I brought it in they reminded me that I was due for a timing belt change (we have just over 99K miles on the van). I told them to do it.

I received a message at 2:00 and they said that the tensioner was leaking and needed to be replaced. I did not listen to the message till about 4:00 and they told me the van was holding up the lift so they just went ahead and replaced the tensioner. I asked if the tensioner (part only) was covered under my extended hondacare warranty.. they said no, its a "wear item". I paid over the phone ($150 extra for the part) and picked up the car after hours.

I was thinking about this at home this evening and decided to poke around, I seemed to remember that the tensioner was covered.

I found a couple places online that does mention that Hondacare covers the tensioner.. does this sound right to you all? I am thinking that I should probably get refunded for the $150 part??

Honda Care Extended Service Contract | Honda Cars of Bellevue | Omaha Honda Dealer | Bellevue Honda Dealer | Bellevue, Omaha, Council Bluffs, Offutt AFB, Lincoln, Nebraska, Iowa

Any insight or opinions welcome.

thanks,

-Bill

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
They should have replaced the WP + Idler Pulley as well.
At 100K miles, who knows what will fail next.

Re: TB tensioner, if the extended policy says it covers then you should get your money back, but you have to submit the proper paperwork through proper address.

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
$150 is absolutely insane given they had everything opened up already and the tensioner is a $40 part. Man I dread dealer service visits for that reason.

Joel

·
Registered
10 Posts
$150 is absolutely insane given they had everything opened up already and the tensioner is a $40 part. Man I dread dealer service visits for that reason.

Joel

I just got some quote for my 2006 Odyssey EX. The cheapest for TB and WP is $895 without tensioner and seals. The tensioner cost extra $148 and the seals $80. Are these insane? I am at metro Denver.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I just got some quote for my 2006 Odyssey EX. The cheapest for TB and WP is $895 without tensioner and seals. The tensioner cost extra $148 and the seals $80. Are these insane? I am at metro Denver.
Depends on market region and parts used. I do Aisin kit here installed with new spark plugs for $860

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
How much will it cost if you have to to go back in again in 20k miles and replace the water pump, tensioner (which often leak) or oil seals? Just do it and get it over with.

·
Registered
437 Posts
REPLACE the tensioner, regardless it is leak or not. timing belt rarely broken, but tensioner fail quite often.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We don't drive our van that many miles per year. At 49K miles now on a 2010.

Could be another 5 years before I hit 100K miles. Can I wait and not do this timing belt or do I need to do it at 7yrs (so in 2017?)

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
You're driving an average number of miles, maybe slightly less. Remember that time deteriorates the belt, as does mileage.

·
Registered
935 Posts
How much will it cost if you have to to go back in again in 20k miles and replace the water pump, tensioner (which often leak) or oil seals? Just do it and get it over with.
I tell this to people time and again, yea you save a few bucks right now but what about a few months from now.........was that few bucks really worth holding on to?

We don't drive our van that many miles per year. At 49K miles now on a 2010.

Could be another 5 years before I hit 100K miles. Can I wait and not do this timing belt or do I need to do it at 7yrs (so in 2017?)
I'd change it at the year interval for your driving habit, Even though the drivetime isn't set on the belt the installed time will still wear it and it will usually go out at the worst time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi TSM,

The Aisin kit does not come with the camshaft and crankshaft seals. How much more it will cost for replacing 2 camshaft and one crankshaft seals. Will there be extra labor involved?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi TSM,

The Aisin kit does not come with the camshaft and crankshaft seals. How much more it will cost for replacing 2 camshaft and one crankshaft seals. Will there be extra labor involved?
It adds about an hour in labor so that will depend on which shop you go to out in CO.
The seals themselves are about $20 extra (total for all 3).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi TSM,

So basically, I should replace all the followings:

Timing belt, Water pump with gasket, Idler pulley, Tensioner pulley, Hydrolic tensioner, Front camshaft and crankshaft seals (2 camshaft and one crankshaft) and Serpentine belt.

What should be the price range?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi TSM,

So basically, I should replace all the followings:

Timing belt, Water pump with gasket, Idler pulley, Tensioner pulley, Hydrolic tensioner, Front camshaft and crankshaft seals (2 camshaft and one crankshaft) and Serpentine belt.

What should be the price range?
$850-1250 installed out here in CA sir, i always add plugs too since it is also a wear item

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi TSM,

Should we replace the camshaft and crankshaft seals? One local shop here says that these rarely leak and just need an inspection?

What do you recommend?

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
When I did mine I replaced the crank seal but not the camshaft seals. The crankshaft seal is too easy when you're in there not to replace it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I recently changed a timing belt on a 2006 accord with 15x,000 miles. I wouldn't wait that many years or miles, but it honestly looked ok. Tensioner was leaking a bit. Idler had some bearing slop. Water pump weep hole was gunked up. No oil leaking at cam seals or crank seal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts