Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So I am having this problem with my van. Where the car idles funny. The revs are higher then usual during idle.

So I have come to the conclusion its either the IAC Valve or the EGR Port, maybe?

I did some searching, and am not sure what steps I should take from here to narrow down which one it is. Can someone please give me some direction.

I have no check engine lights, but the car is def revving higher during idle.

So if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Search in particluar on subjects like Idle Air Control Valve and power-steering switch.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
VQPower37 said:
Hi Guys,

So I am having this problem with my van. Where the car idles funny. The revs are higher then usual during idle.

So I have come to the conclusion its either the IAC Valve or the EGR Port, maybe?

I did some searching, and am not sure what steps I should take from here to narrow down which one it is. Can someone please give me some direction.

I have no check engine lights, but the car is def revving higher during idle.

So if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Here's a test for the IACV:
- find out exactly where the IACV is.
- with the engine idling and the bad symptoms present (high idle, erratic, surging, ... whatever it is),
- tap the IACV housing with a socket extension or similar ~heavy tool
- see if anything changes

When the IACV goes bad, it is usually due to getting gummed up. I successfully cleaned mine on my '99 and it is as good as new. Idle problems are caused when the valve itself does not move freely, typically due to residue buildup. Tapping the IACV may knock it free, temporarily allowing it to work. If the tapping makes the symptom go away temporarily, or at least change, it is a clue that the IACV needs cleaning or replacement.

However, if the tapping has no effect, it does not necessarily mean the IACV is good. So this is not an ideal test, but it's easy and may tell you something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts