Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Idea to reduce road noise

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  County Honda 
#1 ·
Swapping the snow tires to regular tires last week, I noticed the wheels are metal to metal with the hubs. I was wondering if I could put some sort of material between the wheel and hub such as gasket material to reduce any road noise that would transfer from the tire to the hub and into the car.

I'm not sure if it would hold up to the stress of driving and even weather. I don't want it to degrade, fall out and cause the wheels to be loose.

Any thought on my patent pending idea? What material might be best for this? Or is there not really enough road noise from there to worry about.

Thanks.

Oh, it's a 2006 EX-L.

#2 ·
a compliant layer/material between the wheel and hub would not be a good thing... (if you want to cut down road noise, using dynamat or similar on the doors, floor, and firewall will make a big impact - tire selection can have a pretty dramatic impact on road noise, too)

#3 · (Edited)
rwbest said:
...wondering if I could put some sort of material between the wheel and hub such as gasket material to reduce any road noise that would transfer from the tire to the hub and into the car...
You are correct in mentioning the possibility of the wheels coming loose and falling off while underway...because they would.

This site looks pretty interesting:

Sound Deadener Showdown

OF

#4 ·
Dont even think about doing that!!! At a minimum you will get wheel vibration, which will eventually lead to many problems, including loss of the wheel!

#6 ·
wild willy said:
If u do it......... Stay in WA
If he did it, he WOULD be stuck in WA! ;)

OF

#7 ·
Ya, I thought it was far fetched indeed.

I've looked at all the sound deadening sites and just the thought of tearing out the interior does not appeal to me. It's the wife's vehicle and all the rattles, squeaks and road noise doesn't seem to bother her. Guess I'll leave well enough alone.

#8 ·
The Ody interior is actually pretty "friendly" in terms of disassembly and re-assembly. I've installed a DVD player and overhead LCD screen, as well as removed items to facilitate replacement of a vent window motor, plus run wiring for OEM foglights on 3 of these cars. Far easier than any GM or Chrysler product I've worked on in the past.

OF

#10 ·
If you want really QUIET, buy a Chrysler...all of our gov't-owned Chrysler products at my last deployed location (Arabian Gulf region) ended up in the salvage yard due to ridiculous systems failures. You can't get quieter than a kaput vehicle.

OF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.