Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the early stages of looking for my first Odyssey. From what I've learned the 2008-2010 is the year to focus on. Not sure if it is worth going after the Touring package? I'm aware of the PAX option and am not interested in dealing with that ordeal. I do want leather, NAV and RES. I am in no rush and want to find that "perfect" van. Any and all advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I wouldn't go with anything earlier than a 2007. 2007-2010 would be ideal IMO. I prefer LX's because of their simplicity and cost-effectiveness.

Joel

·
Registered
288 Posts
From what I've learned the 2008-2010 is the year to focus on. Not sure if it is worth going after the Touring package? I'm aware of the PAX option and am not interested in dealing with that ordeal. I do want leather, NAV and RES.
This is an area where you will find all sorts of opinions. MTPockets08 loves his LX. I am partial to my EX, as it has a few options on it over the bare-bones LX. But when you say "I do want leather, NAV and RES." your only choice would be an EX-L or Touring model, and both come with the VCM engine, Do a search on that topic and you will find owners who wish that they did NOT have the VCM. But, to each their own. It's ultimately your call as to what fits your needs and budget. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but I think the only way you can get NAV and RES in the same van is the Touring trim level, yes?

Nate

·
Registered
412 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but I think the only way you can get NAV and RES in the same van is the Touring trim level, yes?

Nate
Nope. I got a heavy-loaded EX-L, specifically because I didn't want PAX, and the adjustable pedals did nothing for me. I have the Nav and the RES, I even have the back-up camera and proximity sensors. The only thing I don't have is the chrome trim and the TOURING badge on the tailgate...

And I thought the 2011 models looked hideous, and weren't anywhere as nice as ours inside... so we rushed and got ours before the ugly ones came out (flame suit on).

·
Registered
786 Posts
One thing to consider is that 2007+ models have an upgraded transmission. However, the 2005 & 2006 transmissions are pretty much problem free (unlike the 2nd generation). There were changes made during all years, except 2009 & 2010 (I could never find any, but I'm sure there were a few). If you value a power liftgate, and most do, than you have to get either a Touring or an 2009 or 2010 EXL. The vast majority of Tourings sold after 2008 were PAX free, however PAX models do exist. Do you have any color preferences? If you do, whether interior or exterior, that will limit your search.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would go with 07+. In 2007 EX-L, optional NAV/RES, Touring, optional RES, standard PAX. In 2008 EX-L optional NAV/RES, Touring standard NAV/RES, NO PAX from this year beyond. 2009 & 2010 EX-L (optional NAV/RES) became almost as Touring (standard NAV/RES) bc they offer the power hatch. My ideal would be like the one I have, bc am not to fond of the 2008+ front grill, but I do like the 2008+ Touring wheels!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have any color preferences?
Our first choice is Ocean Mist and second is Baltic (Bali) Blue. That being said, we are limited to a grey interior I believe. Is there a dealer that is known for good used Odysseys? Thanks again for everyone's input!

·
Registered
252 Posts
IMO as asked - I like the '08-'10 EX-L because I do oike the some of the automic feature but not the one the Touring adds for the price. The Touring only gets some more electronic courtesy feature that are expensive to fix when failed, and the horrible PAX (on most). Having kids, I like the durability of the leather. I put a Pana-vise custom mount next to ther radio for the Garmin that works much better than the Honda NAV system and I can upgrade to newer NUVI's as feature (traffic, etc...) are added.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Our first choice is Ocean Mist and second is Baltic (Bali) Blue. That being said, we are limited to a grey interior I believe. Is there a dealer that is known for good used Odysseys? Thanks again for everyone's input!
Do a search on this forum for "Baltic Blue" You may want to stick with the Ocean Mist color! In terms of a dealer for good used Odysseys, 1). How far are you willing to search for your ideal Odyssey? and 2.) How much are you willing to spend when you find one that has everything you want? Use sites like AutoTrader.com with a WIDE search area to start your search. Also do a wide search on the Honda Certified Used Cars website if you are interested in CPO used vans from Honda

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1). How far are you willing to search for your ideal Odyssey? and 2.) How much are you willing to spend when you find one that has everything you want?
The distance really isn't a huge deal for me. I fly for an airline so if I find that "perfect" deal, I can fly out and drive it home. Obviously I would prefer it be as close to Nashville as possible but I wouldn't mind a road trip home for the right deal. Is a Certified Used Car really all it is said to be? Looks like it time to start searching.....

·
Registered
786 Posts
All early model Tourings in Ocean Mist Metallic came standard with a Black interior. Back in the fall of 2004, I wanted the Ocean Mist Touring, but changed my mind immediately after hearing about the black interior. I don't know when exactly Honda started offering Tourings in Ocean Mist with gray interiors, but it was pretty late in the generation's run. Here is a thorough break down of specific trims.

LX
EX
EX-L
EX-L w/DVD
EX-L w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/PAX
Touring w/PAX w/DVD w/NAV

LX
EX
EX-L
EX-L w/DVD
EX-L w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/PAX

LX
EX
EX-L
EX-L w/DVD
EX-L w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/PAX w/DVD

LX
EX
EX-L
EX-L w/DVD
EX-L w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/DVD w/NAV w/PAX

LX
EX
EX-L
EX-L w/DVD
EX-L w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/DVD w/NAV w/PAX

LX
EX
EX w/DVD
EX-L
EX-L w/DVD
EX-L w/DVD w/NAV
Touring w/DVD w/NAV

Some of the notable changes through the years were:

In 2006:

EXL's got leather wrapped steering wheel & shift knob. (previously Touring only)
The "Odyssey" badge was moved from the right side of the tailgate to the left.

In 2007:

The color Sage Brush Pearl was replaced with Nimbus Gray.
The color Redrock Pearl was replaced with Dark Cherry Pearl.
All leather third rows became vinyl.
Cd players in all models got MP3 Jack and gained the capability of playing mp3 discs.
All models lost 1 of the 2 power outlets in the front dashboard.
The lockable in-floor storage, as well as the lazy susan became exclusive Touring features.
Tourings gained reverse-linked side mirrors.
DVD became standard on Touring models.
The Lock buttons on the front doors and the Moonroof buttons were labeled with their respective words on all equipped models. ;)
All models gained a coin holder.
All models gained a tire pressure monitoring system.
All models gained a new transmission.
All models lost an MPG rating as a result of the new transmission.
The windshield washer dispensers on all models were painted black, rather than being body colored.
All EX & EXL models gained programmable door locks.
All models with VCM gained the ability to shift from 3 to 4 to 6 cylinders.

In 2008

The color Midnight Blue was replaced with Baltic Blue.
The color Desert Rock Metallic was replaced with Moca Metallic.
All models received a front and rear end facelift.
All Tourings got an 8th seat.
The 8th seat became less compact and a storage bin was added.
PAX became an option.
Tri-zone automatic climate control became standard on EX & EXL models.
Cup-holders on the sides of the captains chairs were removed from all models.
All gray interiors received a change in color.
All Navigation models gained the traffic monitoring capability.
All Tourings gained Bluetooth.
There have been numerous claims that there was a decline in material quality on all models. Although this is a personal preference.
The center console was removed from the Touring.
The mesh seat back pockets were removed from the 2nd row.
The power adjustable pedals in all the Touring models were fixed to only being adjusted when in PARK.
All models received active front head restraints.
All models received new wheels for their respective trim levels. (PAX system excluded)
The EXL models received the previously Touring exclusive auto-dimming rearview mirror.
All EXL models equipped with a DVD player received the 115 volt power outlet in the 3rd row.
All EXL and Touring models gained a power passenger seat, but lost the storage compartment beneath.

In 2009

The color Baltic Blue was replaced with Bali Blue.
The color Nimbus Gray was replaced with Sterling Gray.
The moonroof button was "deformed" on all moonroof equipped models.
All EXL models gained a power tailgate as standard equipment.
All EXL models equipped with Navigation gained Bluetooth.

In 2010

The color Silver Pearl Metallic was replaced with Alabaster Silver.
The color Nighthawk Black Pearl was replaced with Crystal Black Pearl.
The color Sterling Gray was replaced with Polished Metal Metallic.
Touring models were no longer available with an Olive interior.
Slate Green Metallic, Taffeta White, and Ocean Mist Metallic become the only colors to survive the entire run of the 3rd generation.
PAX was completely dropped.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but I hope this helps. If anyone has any additions or corrections, please feel free to post.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I knew I would forget something.

In 2008

All EXL models without Navigation got a reverse camera mounted in the rearview mirror.
The lockable storage door and lazy susan were removed from the Touring and no longer offered on any trim level.
Satellite radio was offered on all EXL and Touring models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Holy details Batman! THANK YOU CNTRTWNLTD for that family tree you posted! That is some great info! I also found some great deals on the Honda Certified Pre Owned website that GEO mentioned. I found two killer 2009 / 10 vans in my zip code that are exactly what I'm looking for. This is a really great forum! Just wondering - to throw another wrench in the gears, I'm also interested in towing a boat. Right now, what I have isn't much of a threat. She is a 15' Mako that has a total weight of 1,100 lbs. I have an 2002 MDX and dropped $1,200 on a towing package from Acura. This included the hitch, wiring, trans and power steering cooler. I know these are close to being the same type vehicles so I assume that the van will need the same type system for towing? I do plan to move up in boat over the next few years but nothing over 3,000 lbs with trailer brakes. I plan to only use a Honda dealer for the install.

Oh - and is there a way to see if the van I'm looking at has the PAX system? Is it in the VIN, Car Fax, or maybe the door jam tag?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go for an 09/10 model and I think Touring models were the only ones with PAX.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't go with anything earlier than a 2007. 2007-2010 would be ideal IMO. I prefer LX's because of their simplicity and cost-effectiveness.

Joel
I think 2008 EXL is best value. Dont go for LX especially when it is already this old. The price advantage is already gone by now.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think 2008 EXL is best value. Dont go for LX especially when it is already this old. The price advantage is already gone by now.
Even with the 09 EXL getting a power tailgate? I think I always seemed to naturally discount the 08 EXL for that very reason.

By the way, I have 2 more things to add to my yearly changes:

In 2008

All models gained Daytime Running Lights.
All Tourings lost front cup holder garnish and rear chrome door handles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have owned two L Xs, one EX and now an EXL. One thing I have noticed is that a good EX is snapped up the moment it is traded but used LXs seem to sit on the dealers lot forever.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Several of 2007 options are wrong as I have them on my 07.

I have 2 powered switches and the locking lazy Susan on my EX.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts