Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 Ody (215,000 mi.) Dies when idling

Symptoms: Car dies when idling during first run of the morning. After it warms up, seems to run fine.

I actually figured this one out myself. Thought it would be useful to post my findings.

I checked all the usual suspects; EGR valve, IAC valve, vacuum leaks, even the upstream O2 sensor. Time to think outside the box. I started unplugging sensors on the throttle body one at a time and noticing the effect. Unplugging the MAP sensor (the one right on top) had the most similar effect, died while idling. So I pulled it off to have a look. O-ring under it was flattened, dry and cracked. Put it back and tried it with loose screws. It had trouble idling. Tightened screws and it was improved but not great.

Hmmm, this could make sense. When cold first thing in the morning, the o-ring wasn't making a good seal. But after things heated up, and that doesn't take long in the Texas summer heat, it was making a better seal.

Put the MAP sensor back with a new O-ring and it idled better than with the old o-ring. Had to wait till the next morning though after everything cooled off to really prove the fix. Next morning it ran and idled fine all day.

Fixed with a $0.10 o-ring (and 3 or 4 hours of messing around with it).

Todd K.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Good deal, how can you hate a 10 cent fix. Thanks for posting back, so many people never do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Experiencing low idle when cold with my '02 Odyssey with 205,000 miles. No check engine light, so not much to go on. Will check this out on mine and see what happens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks

Awesome. Thanks for your unselfish move of sharing what you found out. For sure, no less than $50 will fly out of your pocket if you let the dealer diagnose it, and 99.999% sure they'll come back to you saying they couldn't replicate the problem.

I'm sure this not only applies to Odysseys, but on other Hondas as well, even perhaps other brands too.

PS: Would it be too much if you share a pic of what a MAP sensor looks like in an Odyssey?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS: Would it be too much if you share a pic of what a MAP sensor looks like in an Odyssey?
There are a few sensors on and around the throttle body. The MAP sensor sits literally right on top of the throttle body held on by two screws. You can't miss it. I identified the various sensors by unplugging them one at a time then reading the CEL code.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for your unselfish move of sharing what you found out. For sure, no less than $50 will fly out of your pocket if you let the dealer diagnose it, and 99.999% sure they'll come back to you saying they couldn't replicate the problem.
You got it all wrong. Not sure where you live but they want $89 to diagnose here but no charge if you get it fixed there. They would then replace a bunch of things one after the other and perhaps make this a $1000 + job and most likely wouldn't even check the MAP sensor gasket. Odds are, they would replace the whole sensor costing quite a few $$ after replacing a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You got it all wrong. Not sure where you live but they want $89 to diagnose here but no charge if you get it fixed there. They would then replace a bunch of things one after the other and perhaps make this a $1000 + job and most likely wouldn't even check the MAP sensor gasket. Odds are, they would replace the whole sensor costing quite a few $$ after replacing a bunch of unnecessary stuff.
Ouch! Thanks for pointing that out Professor that all I said are all wrong. I shouldn't have messed around with people like you who think the world revolves around them. Sorry for my earlier post and for thanking the OP.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Ouch! Thanks for pointing that out Professor that all I said are all wrong. I shouldn't have messed around with people like you who think the world revolves around them. Sorry for my earlier post and for thanking the OP.
Who peed in your cornflakes? I was agreeing with you actually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Who peed in your cornflakes? I was agreeing with you actually.
Oh, I'm sorry. Maybe it's my English but now I know that when you say that I got it all wrong, you are actually agreeing with me.

todd, this is not a flame war. Your post is very informative, don't get me wrong.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
He was saying that a dealer would have most likely fleeced him for hundreds if not for thousands of dollars instead of $50.

However, he should not have said you were wrong because you said "no less than $50"; since hundreds or thousands is "no less than $50", you were perfectly right :)

- Vikas

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks sontakke for clearing the air out. The first sentence of his reply was just a little bit disconcerting; felt like I am trying to misinform anybody with my posts.

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
It's hard to communicate written sarcasm. I didn't pick it up either until near the end of dv's post. Glad everyone made up. And yes, this is a good thread about finding the root cause of the problem through trial and error.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Yes. I was being totally sarcastic just to clarify. :) I guess I need to work on my sarcasm. Perhaps PSU can help me out next time. ;)

Ok. So now that everybody gets it, lets get back to regular programming at the odyclub and yes this is an excellent thread of a problem that is quite difficult to diagnose and fix.

:)

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
.... I guess I need to work on my sarcasm. Perhaps PSU can help me out next time. ;)....:)
Dude, now THAT is sarcasm! Even PSU would approve.

Great thread, all. I do love 10-cent fixes. I remember when that's how much a cup of coffee was (well, it was a really small cup...)

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Dude, now THAT is sarcasm! Even PSU would approve.

OF
Except, that wasn't sarcasm. PSU had the text "Sarcastic SOB" as his user status (now most have Registered User or something of that sort) for a very long time.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Except, that wasn't sarcasm....
Aaarrgh, I guess my subtle attempt at sarcasm was pretty much a failure! :(

OF

P.S. I'm still marvelling at the simplicity and effectiveness of the OP's fix. toddk63, hanks for sharing this one and reporting back!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts