Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2016 honda odyssey with 60k miles. We recently as some of you know had the issue with the oil burning and fouled plugs, which honda had to replace all the Piston rings and plugs. Right after that I installed a muzzle on the vcm as well.

So ever since honda did the engine repair work, when parked at idle, every time the ac compressor kicks on, the idle dips low and the car shudders, and it recovers a second later. This repeats every time. It doesn't do it as bad when the car is idle in drive, mainly just in park. Any idea what could have happened during service? I'm no longer under warranty, and unless it's something I can prove they did, I'll be paying for it. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
My first suggestion would be to clean the throttle body and do a proper idle relearn with a scan tool after resetting the throttle position data. It takes a higher end scan tool to do the TP data reset prior to the idle relearn, though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The engine control computer is supposed to adjust idle to compensate. Even the pre-computer cars had an electro-mechanical system to prevent the compressor from lugging the engine down. They may have left something disconnected when they worked on the engine. Take it back to them to fix.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
The electronic throttle body does all the idle compensation so if there was anything disconnected it would set a check engine light. That's why I suggested a TP data clear and an idle relearn. Since you're only supposed to do that with a clean throttle body that's why I suggested a TB cleaning.

The other possibility is that the AC compressor is beginning to fail. If it's putting more drag on the engine than it's supposed to it would cause this.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The electronic throttle body does all the idle compensation so if there was anything disconnected it would set a check engine light. That's why I suggested a TP data clear and an idle relearn. Since you're only supposed to do that with a clean throttle body that's why I suggested a TB cleaning.

The other possibility is that the AC compressor is beginning to fail. If it's putting more drag on the engine than it's supposed to it would cause this.
makes sense...do the gen 4's have a known history of failing AC compressors at 60k miles?

Some observations up here in the colder north.
AC only gets used sparingly on all my vehicles, during the hot months mid june-mid sept.
Forcefully shut it off at the control when not needed. AC seems to default to the ON position.
All my cars the AC system has lasted the life of the vehicle.

anecdotal?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
makes sense...do the gen 4's have a known history of failing AC compressors at 60k miles?

Some observations up here in the colder north.
AC only gets used sparingly on all my vehicles, during the hot months mid june-mid sept.
Forcefully shut it off at the control when not needed. AC seems to default to the ON position.
All my cars the AC system has lasted the life of the vehicle.

anecdotal?
There's no known history of failing at that mileage but anything can happen. It has to be considered and at least ruled out.
AC is also used any time you set defrost, regardless of whether you have AC on. AC systems don't last forever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly this car has had nothing but issues since we bought it new in Oct 2016. Strut failure at 9k, been in 4 times for transmission issues, had the Piston rings and plugs replaced recently, brakes failed, on 2nd battery, shifting issues ect...

I wouldn't be surprised if there were ac issues as well.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I may remove the TB and clean it. How long does the relearn take?
You can clean the throttle body but you won't be able to do an idle relearn without a scan tool to reset the throttle position data. The idle relearn takes about 5-10 minutes after the the throttle position data has been reset.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Honestly this car has had nothing but issues since we bought it new in Oct 2016. Strut failure at 9k, been in 4 times for transmission issues, had the Piston rings and plugs replaced recently, brakes failed, on 2nd battery, shifting issues ect...

I wouldn't be surprised if there were ac issues as well.
1. Put a VCMTunerII on it to prevent any more piston ring and plug issues.
2. Don't use Honda brand batteries. They are some of the worst out there for longevity on these vans.
3. Transmission shifting issues--keep your transmission fluid changed. Around here it's recommended every other oil change. If you can change your own oil you can do your transmission service. it's super simple.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try that approach first, clean it and take it to a local shop for the reset. I wonder if there is anything on the Piston Ring Replacement that would have involved disconnecting the ac system. Maybe they over charged it when they put it back together or they were supposed to do a relearn?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I doubt they disconnected the AC. If it hasn't been very long since you had it worked on, and it's been doing this ever since, I'd take it back in the way it is and ask them to look at it. Once you start messing with it then it's all on you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. Put a VCMTunerII on it to prevent any more piston ring and plug issues.
2. Don't use Honda brand batteries. They are some of the worst out there for longevity on these vans.
3. Transmission shifting issues--keep your transmission fluid changed. Around here it's recommended every other oil change. If you can change your own oil you can do your transmission service. it's super simple.
Thanks, Ive already disabled the vcm and didn't go with an oem battery this time. We had the trans fluid changes back in Oct because the dealer added several qts to many which caused even worse issues than the reason we brought it in to begin with (flushing fluid 3x)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks, Ive already disabled the vcm and didn't go with an oem battery this time. We had the trans fluid changes back in Oct because the dealer added several qts to many which caused even worse issues than the reason we brought it in to begin with (flushing fluid 3x)
my 2012 TE has been a problem child as well, but no show stoppers.

TSB A13-081 for the piston rings was done on my 2012, and does not involve anything AC related except removing the serpentine belt and moving the AC lines out of the way.
There were 2 leftovers/defects by the tech on that TSB, the rear spark plug tube seal was ripped on reinstall that caused a major oil leak, and the spring tensioner for the timing belt was missing a bolt that was causing tensioner noise/rattle, and was on the verge of catastrophic failure.

Follow John Clarks initial guidance, and report back.
As you know, there are some dedicated and helpful legends here, who will help get you to the bottom of the issue.
all it takes is your time, patience and some know how.

a much better alternative vs. going in blind and handing over your wallet.

IF you intend on keeping this ride for the long haul, get a foxwell scanner.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
I can tell you what this used to be in older models, but Mr clark is saying the electronics are different now.

What peaks my interest is you having oil burning, plugs fouling and Honda replacing the rings on a 2016. Do tell us that story.

It also sounds like you have a challeging (challenged?) dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can tell you what this used to be in older models, but Mr clark is saying the electronics are different now.

What peaks my interest is you having oil burning, plugs fouling and Honda replacing the rings on a 2016. Do tell us that story.

It also sounds like you have a challeging (challenged?) dealer.
You can search my other posts, I made a video scoping the before and after of the cylinders. Yes, I've fought with 2 dealers now, telling me the issues were not real or not covered, only to do my own research and investigation to prove it. The new Piston rings are supposed to stop the burning oil.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
read your previous post on ac idle issues, and you did not confirm you did the idle relearn as suggested there.

what are we missing here besides you not following step by step advice?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
read your previous post on ac idle issues, and you did not confirm you did the idle relearn as suggested there.

Yes, I stated yesterday that I would take it in to do the relearn, which I have not had time to do yet since yesterday . I've simply been responding to users questions/statements since my reply. I'm not sure what your getting at?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Disabling the VCM is what will prevent the oil burning and plug fouling. Even with new rings it would likely happen again. Good that you have disabled it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes, I stated yesterday that I would take it in to do the relearn, which I have not had time to do yet since yesterday . I've simply been responding to users questions/statements since my reply. I'm not sure what your getting at?
you had complete other thread on the topic
what I was getting at, is you had a complete other thread on the subject 3 months ago, where it was suggested to do the relearn.
It was unclear in that thread if that was done or not.

if the dealer did it then, It would of been good to mention in this thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts