Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Odyssey EX and as I was trying to replicate another problem (engine stalls out while driving down the road, put back in park and starts right back up) I caused another problem (problem 2). I thought problem 1 was the result of a bad ignition switch so as I was driving I was messing with the key and finally got it to stall. The problem now (problem 2) is that I can start it up but it wants to die out. I can start it up and give it some gas but if I take my foot off the gas it idles really low and or stalls out completely. I noticed that if I take the two vacuum line off the back (firewall side) of the intake manifold, it will idle higher and almost normal. Also, I can take the vacuum line off the side of the throttle body and it idles fine. Is this a problem with the idle air control valve maybe? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No engine light? The PCM pretty much controls everything including the ignition system (switch, timing, coil packs, etc). Honda replaced my PCM when they replaced my transmission in December 2005. I don't know if they start to malfunction or just drop dead completely.

A bad IAC valve will cause the engine to surge from 500 to 2500 rpm but not stall. It least it didn't stall on me. I had the surge problem last November and a new IAC valve was all it needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. No check engine light. No engine surge. It just happened after I turned the key slightly back while driving to get it to stall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
well actually it might still be the iac. they can short internally and give you a very low idle that stalls the car out. If you don't have the ability to test the one you have I would hit a pull ur part junkyard for one. The ody and 98-02 v6 accord should use the same one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hate it when no engine light comes on ‘cause now you have to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting. I tried cleaning my IAC valve with electronic cleaner and a small brush before replacing it but it didn’t work. They build up with carbon so cleaning might make the valve move freely again. It could be the coil packs too but with no CEL, it’s a guessing game. If you do replace the IAC, it’s bolted to the bottom of the throttle body valve. I removed the TB to make the job 100 times easier. Don’t know what a junkyard part would cost but I bought the new one at Advance Auto for $80 something. Out of curiosity, I went to the stealership to see the IAC they sold and it was the same exact thing with a Denso sticker on it. Their price was $190.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I took my Odyssey to my mechanic that works only on Honda/Acura. I had to disconnect the two vacuum lines coming out of the back of the intake in order to keep the van running. When he plugged the lines back in, the van runs fine! The only thing I can figure is that whatever the problem was, it must have cleared itself on the way to his shop (around 10 miles away). Thanks for your responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts