Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I sat-down in my 2000 Ody and my key will not turn in the ignition. The steering column was not locked (it is now) but it still would not budge. It appears that the ignition lock is either broken or just refusing to unlock. I turned the wheel (which eventually locked, but wasn't to begin with) while trying the key with no results. It looks and feels like the tumbler wants to turn, but that something (I'm assuming the lock) won't let it go. Anyone have similar problems or any suggestions. It's my only vehicle right now and am looking at hunting for a replacement ignition lock and cylinder switch tomorrow, but if this isn't the problem or if it can be jimmied in the meantime, any help would be super appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I don't have multiple chipped keys, but I have basic copies that have never failed to turn the ignition (even though they won't start the van). None of them are able to turn the ignition.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Try some lockeeze or other lock lubricant. Work the key in and out a few times and then see if it will turn. Sounds like the tumblers may not be lining up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try some lockeeze or other lock lubricant. Work the key in and out a few times and then see if it will turn. Sounds like the tumblers may not be lining up.
I feel kinda stupid now. I don't have any specific lock lube, but a squirt of WD-40 and working it in and out like you said, and she opened right up. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think of that one myself:duh:, but thanks again. Beats buying a whole new ignition lock.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
WD-40 is not the right material. Follow WW's advice and get the proper lubricant. Otherwise, you may compound your problems.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
WD40 should not hurt it as it evaporate and doesn't leave a film but it is not a lubricant and not a long term solution. Do NOT use any oil base product as it will gum up the tumblers. Get a correct lock lubricant which are mostly graphite base.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys. I will look at getting a proper lock lubricant for a correct fix, but I was just using what I had on-hand and available with the WD.
Any suggestions (in addition to Lock-Ease) on a good long-term lock lubricant?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Walk in any parts store or wallMart and they will have several. They will all work. I use lockEeze as I have a spray can that I have had for at least 30 years and it still works when needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts