Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All six coils on the 01 Odyssey are protected by a single fuse.
If ANY ONE of the coils fails, the fuse will blow and the engine wild stop.
To avoid being stranded (again), I installed a six fuse block, one fuse for each coil. The OEM Honda fuse is 15amp, so I used 5 amp fuses for the individual coils
The current flow is .. OEM fuse -> my 5 amp fuse -> individual coil.
The upgrade material cost was about $20. My labor about 2 hrs.

Open the wiring harness to the coils and look for a BLACK wire with a BLUE stripe. This is the common wire from the 15Amp Honda fuse. Cut this wire back toward the input end.. near the Drive's side end of the engine at the front Cyl head. Attach the hot end of the wire to the input terminal of the 6X fuse block. Attach the Coil ends of the wires to the fused terminals on the 6X block.

To re wire the rear bank coils, expose the wiring harness, cut the Black/Blue wires to the Coils and attach to the 6X block. I mounted the 6X block near the battery and with the fuses lined up to match the coils they serve.

I will be HAPPY give any additional help/information
M I K E

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of this being an issue before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else, either. but when its YOU, that's a 100% Failure Rate. There is probably a database somewhere that would show how often coils, and other parts, fail on various cars. Autoparts suppliers would have to know so they would know which parts to stock.

In 50 years of driving, this is the first time I've had an engine just stop. And it stopped on a very busy highway at a very inopportune time. I can think of several things that can kill an engine without fore warning, but this was one item I could mitigate.

M I K E

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I haven't heard of this either except there is a fuse for the coils. In reading here, if a coil is faulty, a code is stored, a CEL is illuminated and it runs rough.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
If ANY ONE of the coils fails, the fuse will blow and the engine wild stop.
This is the part I struggle with. Coil failure is fairly common here....but I've never heard anyone experience a blown fuse and a stopped engine based on the failure of any one coil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The effect on the engine depends on the nature of the coil failure.
If its and "open", yes, the engine will miss and the fuse will not blow because there is no excess current flowing to the coil.

If the coil "shorts", the fuse will blow and the engine will stop. Disconnecting the bad coil and replacing the fuse will allow the engine to run on the remaining five cyls.

Engine failure can vary from being an inconvenience to an emergency, depending on the circumstances

Does anyone know where to find a database covering the failure rates of various components?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts