Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Odyssey with 130k miles
the ignition coils seem to be seized. I didn't try too hard to get them out.
Anyone have any suggetions?

Thanks
Emil

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Did you remove the screw?
If so:
Do they twist at all?
Have you ever removed them before?
Do they move at all?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I assume you've removed the screw :)

I think you should just overpower them(try twisting both ways, and eventually prying up with two screwdrivers or putty knives). Its most likely the coil's seal against the valve cover that's stuck, because the end down at the plug just isnt' big enough to resist much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys.
I haven't tried to remove them yet.
I got the car back from the mechanic and he told me they could be seized.
He didn't want to force them and break anything.
I have owned the car since new and never removed them
(SHAME ON ME)
The car has run beautiful from new till last sunday.

I'm heading to the Honda dealer tomorrow, but I still need to repair this car myself.

Thanks, Emil

·
Registered
27 Posts
EMIL said:
Thanks for the replys.
I haven't tried to remove them yet.
I got the car back from the mechanic and he told me they could be seized.
He didn't want to force them and break anything.
I have owned the car since new and never removed them
(SHAME ON ME)
The car has run beautiful from new till last sunday.

I'm heading to the Honda dealer tomorrow, but I still need to repair this car myself.

Thanks, Emil
I wouldn't be going back to that mechanic again if he couldn't remove a simple screw to get the coil out!! I'm assuming it's the screw he couldn't break loose, and hope it's not compleatly rounded off at this point!!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Glen1959 said:
I wouldn't be going back to that mechanic again if he couldn't remove a simple screw to get the coil out!! I'm assuming it's the screw he couldn't break loose, and hope it's not compleatly rounded off at this point!!
Aren't these allen head screws that hold the coils in?

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
psu ody fan said:
Aren't these allen head screws that hold the coils in?
Yes they are. If they are what's seized and not the coils, they could easily be rounded out as Glen1959 said above, especially by using a key that is of inferior quality. I put anti-seize on mine. I wonder, Emil, why you are going to the dealer even though you are going to repair the car yourself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the dealer to purchase a new car.
Now I will tackle the Odyssey ignition coil problem next week.
I spoke to the Honda service mechanic and he told me that the coils do sometimes expand and in some cases they have to chiseled out. The allen screws are not damaged. When I work on the car next week I will post my progress.
Thank you all for your help.
Emil

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
After you remove the low voltage wire connector and the allen screw, try rotating the coil for a bit.
I would think that the engine should be warm while doing this.
The prying with two screwdrivers sounds like it might work if you can't pull them off.
On my 2003 at 125k miles, it just took a little twisting and pulling.
It's possible that you may have to spray some silicone spray or similar while prying to let it break loose, but I doubt it.
Hopefully it will all work out a lot easier than it sounds.
Thanks,
Buffalo4
PS: At least one of the six coils should come out without a problem and then you can see what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
EMIL said:
***snip*** I spoke to the Honda service mechanic and he told me that the coils do sometimes expand and in some cases they have to chiseled out. ***snip***
Makes sense - then they bond to the valve cover. Next time I have mine out, I will add a film of dielectric grease to the contact surface to avoid this problem and to save such a brutal removal. Plus, coils are expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts