Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2004 Odyssey recently suffered the infamous worn tumbler failure, so I disassembled the column and removed all but two lock cylinder washers. The cylinder still refuses to turn until the key is completely inserted, but the key can now come out regardless of the cylinder position. Not a problem for me.

I managed to out-dummy Honda's engineering during the reassembly and discovered that if you place the spring that tensions the steering wheel lock lever underneath the lever, the steering wheel lock won't function properly. That cost me a frustrating extra half day to figure out, but I finally did.

Now I can't get the key warning circuit to recognize that the key is removed from the cylinder. This is a huge problem, because the van will not let me lock the doors when the engine is off! I've taken the assembly off five times already, and can't figure out what's wrong - the circuit board that encircles the lock cylinder mouth has a little plastic pin that sits on a brass nub and two metal pins sticking towards the steering wheel lock lever, and they seem like the parts that would do the detection, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to trick it into recognizing that the key is removed. This is a huge problem because I am using the van to coach baseball at a very dodgy park and stuff will walk off the instant I leave the van unattended. Help!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I can't say how the key activates the switch, but the wiring diagram shows that the key-in signal is made to the multiplexer by the blue/white wire that connects to pin 1 of the key switch/key light assembly connector as follows:
  • Key in: blue/white wire is grounded
  • Key out: blue/white wire is not grounded
It's a total hack which I abhor, but you could add a manual switch to the blue/white wire. Switch to the grounded position when the key is in; to the ungrounded position when out.

Have you tried turning the key to OFF before removing it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's the kind of information I needed. Yes, I've tried every combination of position, both with everything reassembled and with the pieces loose so I could manipulate them.

There are three items connected to the circuit board: the little nylon plunger that rests on a brass pin in the cylinder housing, two blade-type contacts that sit above the steering wheel lock lever (which is attached to the lock cylinder and reaches deep into the cylinder housing), and a white plastic box that screws to the cylinder housing. This plastic box has a steel plunger that connects to a lever, which moves back and forth inside the housing near the retaining sleeve that holds the cylinder body inside the keyway. I can't figure out what that lever does, or when it is actuated. I think it's reinstalled correctly, but I have never seen it actuate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turns out that the easiest workaround for the faulty key inserted warning is to leave the connector empty. The warning won't work, but the van starts and drives normally. While I hate leaving a repair incomplete, it is convenient to just forego the warning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts