Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1999 Ody has been getting difficult to start with my ignition key, I have to fiddle to get the key "just right" or it won't allow me to go to the start position.

My wife has started having similar trouble with her key recently, although not nearly as often as what I've experienced.

I tried the never-used hide-a-key today and it worked fine. I noticed that the first shoulder out from the keyring was sharp and well-defined on the spare, but the shoulders on both of our everyday keys are quite rounded and worn.

Would I be so lucky to think that a replacement key(s) could solve the problem? :huh:

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
That would be a possibility, especially if your spare key works better.

Also, the 1999 model year had an ignition switch recall and the symptoms are similar to what you are describing with your primary key.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If you mean you cannot turn the key without jiggling then get some new keys cut. Many places now make these keys but I think there's a process for the van to learn the new security side of the key.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not sure if the 99 has a different key, but the 2000 has a security chip inside that is read by some electronic device near the iginition switch. I couldn't find anyone that could duplicate it except the dealer. It wasn't super expensive (like the new key/remote security keys) I think it was around $20.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's an update on my key problem. I went to the local Honda dealer with my spare key and ran through the problem with a manager in the parts dept. The first thing he said was I probably needed an ignition switch (to the tune of $350).

I suggested that since the spare key was working fine, why don't we try cutting another one and trying that first? Anyway, he got called out of the room on another matter and another fellow behind the counter said he'd cut a new key for $30 and that would probably do the trick. Sure enough, five days later and after numerous starts the new key hasn't missed once.

No wonder the service center can afford La-Z-Boys and flat screens all over the waiting area......

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
That's why I dislike dealerships. How about try the cheap fix first and go from there. BTW, if it turns with one key and not the others then it would not be the switch which is electrical. It could be the tumbler section though. The actual switch is on the opposite side of the stearing column and is turned by a small piece of metal (or maybe it's plastic, I forget).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts