Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 30% oil life & leaving for a long road trip today, do I change the oil?
Not that I want to pinch every penny out of the oil but I just realized last night what oil life was at.

It's going to be kind of inconvenient and it's a last minute unexpected thing.

Driving from Milwaukee Wi, to Birmingham Al and back. Figure 1900 miles total.

I have Mobil 1 Syn 5W30 but i would need to run out and get a filter and change it.

Say if I am on the low side of the 30% left, would that be enough to get there and back?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Is Mobil 1 currently in the engine? If so...you're good to go. No reason to follow the maintenance minder if you're running synthetic. If not...you're probably still ok. Most oil analysis comes back with lots of life left on the oil. I did mine with conventional oil with 15% oil life remaining and it was well within spec.

·
Registered
513 Posts
30% would be about 1500 miles on my van, so you may not make it back before hitting 0%.

On the other hand, you should be able to find a 30 minutes oil change place on the way. Not the best, but would do in a pinch. :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Just enjoy the trip.

It is just a rough calculator etc.

I had the same thing: 30% left on the indicator, and yet I drove 3000 miles on it (the oil in the van now has 6000 miles on it).

I will change the oil soon.

On the other hand, if you want to change the oil now, then I use only Bosch Oil Filter because I think it is better than the "garbage" Honda filter (presumably made by Fram). You can get Bosch Oil Filter at local stores.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would change it only because for me, nothing is better than going on a long drive with "new" everything. Newly tuned up, newly changed oil, new plugs, newly washed and waxed - you get the idea.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Re-reading your post and the answers, I think it's probably a toss up as to whether you can make it without changing the oil but the fact that you care enough to ask the question means the peace of mind you will have after changing it now is worth whatever lost mileage the current oil and filter are still good for. :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
252 Posts
You're fine, especially with Mobil 1. If you are using Mobil 1, then why use the monitor as M1 is for extended drains. Probably 10K in the Honda. At the 15% notification I am at a consistent 6K miles and that is when I take it in for the $20 Honda Express oil change. Change the filter in between regular oil changes?? You must a member of Bob the Oil Guy forum; sorry but it's mostly self-proclaimed 'experts' that brainwash people into silly decisions like changing an oil filter part the way through an oil change of <10K miles. Changing the filter is for the 25K changes that originated with Diesel semi trucks. Please, for the love of God, enjoy the van and don't fret over something you read on the internet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
cnn said:

On the other hand, if you want to change the oil now, then I use only Bosch Oil Filter because I think it is better than the "garbage" Honda filter (presumably made by Fram). You can get Bosch Oil Filter at local stores.
Wix makes a better oil filter if you get their premium brands. Look for NAPA gold or similar brands that are made by Wix.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
nicomtl said:
30% would be about 1500 miles on my van, so you may not make it back before hitting 0%.

On the other hand, you should be able to find a 30 minutes oil change place on the way. Not the best, but would do in a pinch. :)

Nicolas
I wouldn't sweat it. Plus all highway you won't burn the OLM as fast anyway. Assuming the typical 6,000-7,000 on a full interval...you have about 1,500 easy. Like I mentioned, I did test on dealer oil change (castro, oem filter) and at 15% it still had tons of life.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
dagmando said:
You're fine, especially with Mobil 1. If you are using Mobil 1, then why use the monitor as M1 is for extended drains. ...
I think he has Mobil 1 on the shelf for the next change, but dealer oil in the engine (probably natural). Anyhoo, you are right - forget the MM when running synthetic, or just let it run two cycles to the next oil change.

·
Registered
606 Posts
How much is two oil X cycles in your experience?

My Oldsmobile uses a variety of things to calc oil life, and for us that means about 6000 miles give or take. I use Mobil 1 and change with the light. Are you saying you go twice your meter before you change? M1 is great oil but that's a long interval if that's what you are doing. :dizzy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The highway mileage you are about to drive is the easiest of all on the oil. You also have a great synthetic in there, and the MM is calibrated for regular conventional oil. No way I would change it now. I would drive happy, then upon return, change it then.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What really gets 'used up' with oil is the additive packs that are in them.

I was in a situation like yours a while back and what I did was pump 1 quart of oil out and add in 1 fresh quart (assuming you have a pump or an easy way to just drain 1 quart)

I felt perfectly comfortable putting an 'extra' 1000 miles on that oil change since I refreshed the additive pack with the one fresh quart of oil and it only cost me a couple dollars and a few minutes.

Short of doing what I state above, I would just change it. It seems that no matter how well I try to plan out a trip we always have a ton of extra driving I never thought about before we leave :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: I'm at 30% oil life & leaving for a long road trip today, do I change the oil?

Naim said:
I'm at 30% oil life & leaving for a long road trip today, do I change the oil?
Not that I want to pinch every penny out of the oil but I just realized last night what oil life was at.

It's going to be kind of inconvenient and it's a last minute unexpected thing.

Driving from Milwaukee Wi, to Birmingham Al and back. Figure 1900 miles total.

I have Mobil 1 Syn 5W30 but i would need to run out and get a filter and change it.

Say if I am on the low side of the 30% left, would that be enough to get there and back?
Yes, change the oil and be done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are 643 Honda dealers between Milwaukee and Alabama. When the change oil light comes on, pull into the next convenient one for an express change.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Dirkdaddy said:
How much is two oil X cycles in your experience?

My Oldsmobile uses a variety of things to calc oil life, and for us that means about 6000 miles give or take. I use Mobil 1 and change with the light. Are you saying you go twice your meter before you change? M1 is great oil but that's a long interval if that's what you are doing. :dizzy:
My 02 doesn't have an MM, so I go by the odometer and the calendar. Honda recommends changing the oil and filter every 3,750 miles or 6 months under severe service. With my setup (Amsoil synthetic oil and EA filter), the oil still looks new at that mileage. So I let it go to 7,500 miles or 6 months. Even then, it's still light amber.

The MM is programmed for natural oil. Synthetic oil and filter will last much longer. Changing syn at the same rate as natural is a waste of money and resources. So your MM goes 6,000 miles between changes? Like you, I might want to change it before 2 full MM cycles (especially with a conventional filter) - maybe 1 and then 50% of the second. However, IIRC, herrhaus has gone 18,000 miles and the used oil analysis still comes back good.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
davedrivesody said:
.....With my setup (Amsoil synthetic oil and EA filter), the oil still looks new at that mileage. So I let it go to 7,500 miles or 6 months. Even then, it's still light amber.....
I'm doing the same thing, except with Mobil 1. Ever since I started using the AmSOil EaO20 filter, I've noticed that the oil just doesn't get as dark as it used to whenever I checked the oil level. Same with the oil I drain out at 7,500 miles.

OF

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I just got back from the trip.
Did not have any time to do an oil change with getting everything ready before we left...
Considering I was getting ~400+ miles per tank (around 25 mpg:D ) on the trip down and back, I am guessing that the wear and tear should have been pretty low.

Tomorrow I am off to get a oil filter. Just too tired to do anything today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts