Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was interesting to see this video on NBC today show. They talk about the image of the minivan today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41231866#41231866

I too was skeptical about ever owning one especially owning 2 big SUVs- but I have to say it's so practical and fuel efficient, and kid friendly, I don't mind driving it at all.

My friends & family say "what? you sold your Hummer for a minivan?"

But, I do enjoy driving this Ody alot. I was initially interested in a minivan due to the commercials of Toyota's Sienna, but after driving both, I felt the Ody was a better driving vehicle.

So, I'm a believer in the minivan.

:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the club. I get in arguments with colleagues at work about this all the time. They would "never" drive a minivan.

Of course, most of them are either single or married with no kids. There's one hold out with two and a Pilot. Hey, if he wants to make life more difficult for himself, what can I say.

But it does annoy me. I'm 30 years old, with 2 kids and another one coming. It was not my dream to own a minivan, nor was it my wife's. But when the kids starting coming, it became clear that we could either buy something less practical because we wanted to maintain a certain image, or we could just embrace the fact that we're grownups now, with real responsibilities and children to take care of.

Our nod to impracticality was trading our '07 for the '11 to get RES and all the new features. Frankly, the Odyssey drives better than most SUVS I've driven--certainly way better than something like a Tahoe--anyway.

And for the money--I paid $33k for my EXL-RES, and we got a lot of vehicle for that price. Its not a luxury car, sure, but it has plenty of nice features, a pleasant environment, and is well built.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MFLetou said:

Of course, most of them are either single or married with no kids.
But when the kids starting coming, it became clear that we could either buy something less practical because we wanted to maintain a certain image, or we could just embrace the fact that we're grownups now, with real responsibilities and children to take care of.
I totally agree with your statement. I was being somewhat selfish keeping my 08 H2. My 3 boys had to climb up and down that thing if they were to ride with me. I took the older ones to school through the car pool lane- they had to be careful not falling out of it as it was pretty high off the ground.

The responsible thing to do is get something the whole family can enjoy.

That's what I did. Plus, it drives so much smoother than the Hummer on the road.

SAVES on GAS too!

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
My 1969 StingRay Roadster (matching #'s) was fun, but once we decided that kids were in our future....that and the 4x4 truck immediately hit the sales block.

Power and hand tools that reliably function are big on my hit parade. A rifle that can find black paper (the 8-ring and smaller) on a paper target at longer distances is like zen. Shoes that fit and are comfy allow me to concentrate on my work. It doesn't take much to make me happy, because I've turned into a "utilitarian" type of guy as I've gotten older. That's my image, I guess.

Our two Odys do that for me, though my wife does not share this view. For her, it's just been reliable transportation with predictable driving manners.

Image definitely has a large continuum, from left to right and up and down...like the guy I saw who had a new Dodge Durango with brand new chrome spinner mags and the lowest profile tires I've ever seen on an SUV. His car sputtered to a stop on a 4-lane high-speed surface street (no parking lane), and he had just enough speed to carry himself over a 4-inch curb and onto a smooth grassy area to get the car off the road...but he didn't. He left it in a lane of traffic, because he was afraid to damage one of those fancy wheels or bruise that 35-series tire. I think getting older and having 4 kids has definitely steered me away from that type of thinking, purchasing, and planning.

I like those new 2011 Odys. They look much, much better in person. This is one of those things where I can safely say the pics do not do it justice in any way.

OF

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had a 4x4 truck prior to kids, std cab 8' bed. Not great for kids. Was looking for a extended cab truck, happened to be looking at the time in a "truck trader" mag, and there was a really inexpensive used minivan. I got looking at it and my mind started running..... cheap to buy, holds my stuff (home improvement and camping gear) and the stuff is protected from theft and elements. And if I want to bring my folks along when they visited, I'd have seats for them. Insurance would be cheap.....hmmm... A few weeks later I was driving my first minivan. Wife thought I had lost my mind, that with one kid we didn't need it and she did not want to be a soccer mom image (she works). But now she admits is a great idea. And our '06 is even better than the old one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Insurance would be cheap. Wife thought I had lost my mind, that with one kid we didn't need it and she did not want to be a soccer mom image But now she admits is a great idea.
Dirk, you nailed it on the head!

I'm saving approx $500 a year going from the H2 to the Ody.(on insurance)

Also, my wife also was reluctant to trade her Escalade for the Ody.
After the purchase, she likes it, but doesn't want to drive it daily.

My boys love it.:)

I like storing my tools- easy to "hide" the magic 3rd row seats for moving things. It drives surprisingly good...it doesn't drive like a minivan..."boat" feeling...like the Sienna.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I thought it was interesting to see this video on NBC today show. They talk about the image of the minivan today.

msnbc.com Video Player

I too was skeptical about ever owning one especially owning 2 big SUVs- but I have to say it's so practical and fuel efficient, and kid friendly, I don't mind driving it at all.

But, I do enjoy driving this Ody alot. I was initially interested in a minivan due to the commercials of Toyota's Sienna, but after driving both, I felt the Ody was a better driving vehicle.

Agreed! After owning a Pilot, Oddy is far better, drives/handles better, far more room, esp the 3rd row and behind it and far better highway gas mileage, Only disadvantage is no all wheel drive, but the front is usually good enough.

Agreed on the Sienna, the newer one (Sienna) drives better than it used to, but the Oddy seems to be a better handler/driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to the club. I get in arguments with colleagues at work about this all the time. They would "never" drive a minivan.

Of course, most of them are either single or married with no kids. There's one hold out with two and a Pilot. Hey, if he wants to make life more difficult for himself, what can I say.

....or we could just embrace the fact that we're grownups now, with real responsibilities and children to take care of.
Agree, after much thought and realization it was the only sensible thing to do. Wife wasn't excited, but realized how much easier it makes things. The fact that we fit our 2 plus her sisters family (four more) when they visit, in one vehicle made her very happy though.

So far so good in our Polished Metal 2011 EX-w/RES!

·
Registered
69 Posts

msnbc.com Video Player

i'm with you for sure... never thought i'd get one since i always thought a nice sporty station wagon would always be my vehicle of choice (fun to drive, practical). but when it was time to get a new car, with 2 kids, 2 grandparents, 1 dog, the station wagon wasn't going to hack it.

swallowed my pride, figured it's a stage of life i may as well get used to... but i've gotten really positive feedback.

maybe it's people being nice/polite, but i've gotten quite a few compliments! definitely from current/previous minivan drivers... "the ody was the best car i ever owned," "our kids love ours, you can't go wrong," and even "nice car!" from some 20 somethings who see it as a party mobile with all the space, res, etc. i've heard, our generation of 30 somethings who grew up as latchkey kids, really value family time (quantity over just quality) and minivan sales are on the upswing because of it.

and compared to the alternative people/gear hauler, a big suv, the minivan is definitely more economical/environmental. we're definitely that type (wife drives a prius and my daily commuter is a scooter!) -- i'm sure our next van when the 2011 ody is due for replacement in 2021 is going to be a hybrid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree! I NEVER thought that I would drive a minivan. I did not want to be seen as the "soccer mom" type. My husband tried to get me to test drive one with our first child and I wouldn't. When our second was on the way, he again tried to get me to test drive one. I gave in and fell in love! Between my husband and I, we had owned several Toyota cars (never a Honda), but I liked the Honda Odyssey over the Sienna. Now, I am getting ready to trade my '05 Touring for the 2011 Touring Elite.

We again looked at the new Sienna, but very cheap looking with open chair rail grooves in the floor and exposed seat rods in the back where the seats fold down. No comparison...Odyssey wins my vote again. We went to a car show and looked at all the new crossovers and SUV's, but I still want the Ody.

Can't wait to get my new one...stressing over color choice since not all colors have been available on the lots that I can actually see. See "color choice" thread and post your comments.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree! I NEVER thought that I would drive a minivan. I did not want to be seen as the "soccer mom" type. My husband tried to get me to test drive one with our first child and I wouldn't. When our second was on the way, he again tried to get me to test drive one. I gave in and fell in love! Between my husband and I, we had owned several Toyota cars (never a Honda), but I liked the Honda Odyssey over the Sienna. Now, I am getting ready to trade my '05 Touring for the 2011 Touring Elite.

We again looked at the new Sienna, but very cheap looking with open chair rail grooves in the floor and exposed seat rods in the back where the seats fold down. No comparison...Odyssey wins my vote again. We went to a car show and looked at all the new crossovers and SUV's, but I still want the Ody.

Can't wait to get my new one...stressing over color choice since not all colors have been available on the lots that I can actually see. See "color choice" thread and post your comments.
One of the biggest things now is the safety.. the '11 Oddy has better safety scores than the '11 Sienna, 5 star vs 4 star. The Sienna right front passenger was a low as 2 star in one of the tests.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts