Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get an extra key made to wrap in a plastic baggie and place in a magnet attached key lock box that is then hidden on the underside of the vehicle for emergencies. Yes, I've locked myself out before on other cars and was glad the hidden key was there. I carry an extra key in my wallet too, BTW, but had left the wallet inside the car. Doh!
The problem is, my current lock box and any I've found at parts stores are too short for the Ody's coded key. Does anybody know if it's okay to trim the top part of the key's plastic ring loop without damaging the code implant? I need to shorten the overall length by 1/4 inch. I'll be asking the Honda parts people when I get the new key made but though maybe someone had already gone through this.
Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Somebody else here had a great idea to make the immobilizer system work for you in this case:

go get a standard, non-immobilizer Honda key blank. Cut your spare key on that one, and use THAT one to put into the magnetic box outside your car.

Then, get an immobilizer-equipped key cut at your dealer--and hide this inside your Ody somewhere.

This way if someone finds your magnet box (hehehe--"Magnetbox, Panaphonic, Sorny"--sorry, Simpsons joke there) the most they can do is unlock the doors. They can't use that key to steal the car.

You, however, can drive the car away since you know where the real key is hidden inside.

Make sense? Sure does to me. I don't remember who came up with it, but it's a good idea.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Somebody else here had a great idea to make the immobilizer system work for you in this case:

go get a standard, non-immobilizer Honda key blank. Cut your spare key on that one, and use THAT one to put into the magnetic box outside your car.

Then, get an immobilizer-equipped key cut at your dealer--and hide this inside your Ody somewhere.

This way if someone finds your magnet box (hehehe--"Magnetbox, Panaphonic, Sorny"--sorry, Simpsons joke there) the most they can do is unlock the doors. They can't use that key to steal the car.

You, however, can drive the car away since you know where the real key is hidden inside.

Make sense? Sure does to me. I don't remember who came up with it, but it's a good idea.
</font>
That is a great idea. I'll do that. BTW. A stop at an out of the way parts store found a key box that easily fits the Ody key, so that problem is solved. But I like the idea of a standard Honda key for the thieves to find. Love the Simpsons!

-Mark

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RonD:
Only lock your doors with the remote. Then you will never lock your keys in the car. </font>
True for not locking the keys in the vehicle, but I lost the keys while shopping causing one lock out and the hidden key got me home and a hidden key in the garden got me in the house. I now carry keys for the house and both cars in my wallet too. Can't be too save.
-Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Adam1991,

Great Idea!!

I was worried about placing a true "Honda" key within a magnetic box under my Odyssey for moisture reasons (I've never found a magnetic hide-a-key box that seals very well).

Thank you very much for the tip.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
</font>
I also read this somewhere and FINALLY found a good place for the magnetic box on the outside!
Now I need to find a good place inside for the valet key! Still looking...

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts