Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any opinions or thoughts on this trans cooler?

Part # 242012 vs Part #240514

available at advance auto parts

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&searchTerm=transmission+cooler

In case you are unable to get to the URL, choose Honda Odyssey as the vehicle and search for "transmission cooler"

They have a 25% coupon and free shipping for orders over $200. If this trans cooler is good, then I might order this and a few other things to go over $200

thanks

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Not really a fan of the long tube with fins. I just installed a Hayden 676 on my newly acquired 1998 Accord. I've got some Tru-Cool 4739-1's awaiting installation, but if I had to do it all over again for these three points,

1.) Price
2.) Performance
3.) Ease of installation

...I'd get this:

Long Tru-Cool LPD 4544 on Bulkpart

OF

·
Registered
46 Posts
What about B&M coolers.

I was talking to a guy at Summit racing about putting a cooler on my 2002 Ody with 100k miles. He was concerned that a super heavy duty cooler might be a strain on the circulation of the fluid. like this:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=4590

mine shifted hard and had burnt fluid when I bought it. Drained and filled 2 times with honda atf and now runs good with an occasional slip between 2 and 3rd

Why amsoil fluid?

·
Registered
46 Posts
A larger cooler...

Any reason not to get this one?

Do you think an inline filter would be over kill?

Do you think lubeguard red might reduce slippage between 2nd and 3rd?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I reccomend Amsoil mainly because of its ability to work well with just about anything.

Also, its got double the operating temperature range of Honda Z1.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Ditto on AmSOil. I'm running it in both of our Odys. It tolerates severe conditions (read this as heat, high temp) better than ATF-Z1, as far as I can tell.

Not sure why the guy at Summit Racing thinks that a bigger cooler (more plates) means more "strain" on fluid circulation. You get less resistance with more plates, since there's a greater cross sectional area for the fluid to move past. Did he mean a bigger cooler in terms of tube length (like those finned tube coolers you had in those links)?

Not a fan of the B&M coolers. They're not bad. It's just that I think a plate-fin setup (like a radiator or A/C condensor has) is a better choice.

Inline filter as "overkill"? I wouldn't think so; filtration is a good thing.

When you talk about slippage, do you mean that your 2-3 upshift is really soft, and the tach needle wavers a bit before it settles into gear? Lubegard Red won't help that since it's just a highly heat-resistant ester-based lubrication additive. Jerry O (one of our forum members) has used LGR for years in a couple different vehicles with good results.

OF

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oversized cooler

The guy at Summit thought that pushing all the fluid through the large cooler and then the filter would be a strain on the transmission.
He said if were a big V-8 Chevy or Ford with a beefy trans no problem. But wasn't sure if the Ody trans was up to the extra work.

Odyfamily
The one I was asking about was the same Long Tru-Cool LPD but a larger capacity and more BTUs.

The problem I experienced was that it wasn't going into 3rd out of second and just revving. I let off the gas for a second and the problem resolved. I'm thing that if I can get the operating temp low and keep it low it may stop this problem.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Re: Oversized cooler

chrisarnt said:
The guy at Summit thought that pushing all the fluid through the large cooler and then the filter would be a strain on the transmission.
He said if were a big V-8 Chevy or Ford with a beefy trans no problem. But wasn't sure if the Ody trans was up to the extra work.
All of those A/T's (GM Turbo 400, 700R4, Ford C series, Honda) use positive displacement pumps. The internal hydraulic circuits run over 100 psi. Also, again, more cross sectional area (more plates) = less pressure drop, so I'm not sure what the parts guy at Summit is talking about. Not trying to bring them down...good place, I buy stuff from them, too.

chrisarnt said:
The one I was asking about was the same Long Tru-Cool LPD but a larger capacity and more BTUs.
I don't know if you need one that big. If I could do it over again, I'd have just gotten the LPD 4544 for the reasons I mentioned. If you think you need that much heat exchange, go with MOCAL or Earl's. Even if you don't need more, but just want a cooler with a very small frontal area and great heat exchange capability, again MOCAL or Earl's...I can't think of anything better in terms of heat exchange vs. unit size.

chrisarnt said:
The problem I experienced was that it wasn't going into 3rd out of second and just revving. I let off the gas for a second and the problem resolved. I'm thing that if I can get the operating temp low and keep it low it may stop this problem.
Are you getting a Check Engine Light (CEL)? Something is not right with that scenario.

OF

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the Summit guy just didn't want to give me bad advice.

Check engine light was on, but I reset it last day after I bought and it hasn't come back.

I will check out that cooler.

I live in NJ, so on occasion we will get some 20 degree days in the winter. Will a cooler make trans run funny when cold?

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
chrisarnt said:
I think the Summit guy just didn't want to give me bad advice.
I would agree with that...sounds like he was just being cautious with a brand he was not very familiar with in terms of mechanical workings. Summit is a good place, one of my favorites. :cool:

chrisarnt said:
Check engine light was on, but I reset it last day after I bought and it hasn't come back.
I think I would have gotten it scanned to get the code it was alerting you for, and then look it up. However, if all is good (no CEL), I'd just keep on driving. That's what your Ody is for. :)

chrisarnt said:
I live in NJ, so on occasion we will get some 20 degree days in the winter. Will a cooler make trans run funny when cold?
IIRC, herrhaus, one of our PA residents, said it maybe got a little bit cold during a severe winter, with some firmer shifting (he uses an LPD 4544, I believe). Others on our forum have taped a piece of cardboard over a big ATF cooler during severe cold, and that little trick seems to work. Kind of like those big truck drivers with the snap-on tarp fabric radiator grill covers for winter use to keep their diesels warm.

Knowing what I know now, rather than try to go fancy with a monster ATF cooler that would be a tough, complex, challenging fit (and have it sit on a shelf for a couple years because I have no blamed time to install it and everything else), I should have gone with the LPD 4544, or a small Earl's or MOCAL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought the cooler you recommended with the Magnaflow magnetic filter and a bottle of lube guard red. We'll see how that goes on a 200 mile trip.

I am picking up the service records from the deal that that told the previous owner about the bad trans today.
I will post the code after I find out what it is.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to install the LPD 4544 than the 4739-1. You attach it with the included hardware, slip on the hoses and clamps, and you're in business. Just like all the other smarter (than me) individuals who went this type of route, and used Mel's instructions. Heck, an Earl's or MOCAL would've been easier due to size and common availability of AN fittings.

My Tru-Cool Max (4739-1) requires inverted flare fittings. It took me a year alone to find the right ones (mfg'd. by Dorman), from Woody's online, and while not expensive, they weren't cheap. It was war trying to find a male inverted flare 90-deg swivel fitting terminating in a 3/8" hose barb. :( The vertical fittings (not 90-degree) included with the 4739-1 would have been a tough fit in my Ody. Of course, they would have been no problem if I was installing this on a truck....

Well, when my 2003 EX is ready for its timing belt service, all that will be installed while she is laid up for DIY mechanical work.

Live and learn.

OF

Edited for: clarity regarding fittings in the Tru-Cool Max (4739-1) kit

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I've had a Tru-cool for over 3 years now, it was easy to install. No issues with New Hampshire winters. If I remember correctly, one of the pluses on this cooler is that it only allows fluid into part of the cooler if it is hot enough to flow into it so the cooling affect rises as needed.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
There you go. Another happy Tru-Cool LPD cooler customer, among many. The more I look at my Tru-Cool 4739-1's in my garage, the more I have remorse for not getting something like a Tru-Cool LPD cooler for the quality of a quick, easy and effective installation.

Don't get me wrong, the Tru-Cool Max (4739-1) is an awesome cooler...your friendly neighborhood Odyfamily just has not time to work fitting and installation of this beast into his DIY schedule.

OF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts