Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our 2011 Oddy EX-L RSE 2 week ago today..........took it on our annual family vacation, and here's our thoughts:

1) LOVE THE VAN. Awesome with a 4 yr old and 3 mo old. Center row is slick with the wide-mode seating. Enough room for Mommy to sit where she needs to tend to the baby, etc. Power Doors and low step-in-height are great with the 4 year old. She no longer needs to be lifted in to the car (QX56).

2) Gas mileage is GREAT. Averaged about 26mpg on our 800 mile trip, mostly 2-lane highway going 65mph. This is WITH a Thule Ascent 1500 roof box on the roof (not necessary, but nice to keep some of the junk out of the van, like the porta-crib, beach toys, etc etc), 5 suitcases, bouncer seat, 4 people, etc. Based on my observations driving the van empty, I think I could have gotten VERY close to 30mph with a single driver, no Roof Box, and no luggage. Impressive for a vehicle this size!

3) Road noise is a little louder than the 08 we test drove. I am going to undercoat the van and see if that helps.

4) Why isn't there a built in mini-vacuum? Seriously, I can't stand the crap all over the floor of the van after being on a road trip.........maybe I'll plug a dust-buster into the 110 outlet in the cargo area:)

5) Van drives like a dream. No back pain, foot rest is where I like it, good headlights (non HID), etc. Plenty of passing power, etc.

6) Plastic fitment around the front door power window controls is a bit shoddy.....where the window switch module clips into the door trim on the armrest, the fit is slightly jagged. Honda could have trimmed that out better.

Overall, we love it, though!! No regrets here!! :))

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope.........but it has no "steering feel" / feedback at all........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could not agree more with point 6. That fit and finish is very disappointing, especially for a vehicle that lists for up to $45000!

·
Banned
728 Posts
Could not agree more with point 6. That fit and finish is very disappointing, especially for a vehicle that lists for up to $45000!
We got an EX RES. I wouldn't pay $46,990 for this vehicle, no matter how many toys it had - the interior quality and road noise make it not worth it for us. Other disagree obviously - to each his own.

As a people mover @$35,000 ($CAD) I think it is really good value. At 6,500 miles, we've had few problems with ours and none requiring a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, to expand on my comment:

Road noise is quite loud........we'll see how much undercoating helps.

Carpet quality is OK, although there are a couple very obvious seams which could have been hidden better (by the side of the front seats, for example).

Leather quality seems pretty good.

OEM carpet Floormats are super lightweight and flimsy (although the retaining piece on the front mat edges is a brilliant design)

The plastic edge of the power window button module on the front doors is poorly finished, as I mentioned above.

Trim piece on the vertical edge of the front doors, OUTSIDE, painted matte black, do not seem solidly affixed to the van. They wiggle if you grab the edge of the door to slam it, for example.

I've got two trim pieces that do not seem well attached inside.......one is on the top edge of the tailgate.........the other is the left side step pad at the sliding door on the driver's side.

Overall, a nice van................Personally, I would have been happy to have paid another $250-500 to have these pieces of trim and finishing done in a more quality manner:)

FWIW, I paid $34,0xx for my van...........EX-L with RSE.

Oh yeah, and one more comment. I find it annoying that the rear load floor is not FLAT when the seats are folded down. The downward sloping angle makes it difficult to load suitcases evenly:)

Don't get me wrong, I love it, just some observations....

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
***snip***
3) Road noise is a little louder than the 08 we test drove. I am going to undercoat the van and see if that helps.
***snip***
Recently saw Lizard Skin Sound Control advertised - claims 12 db noise reduction. Just passing on the info - I haven't used it.

Also a cavaet - if you live in a snowy area, undercoating can trap salt and accelerate body corrosion.

LizardSkin Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Recently saw Lizard Skin Sound Control advertised - claims 12 db noise reduction. Just passing on the info - I haven't used it.

Also a cavaet - if you live in a snowy area, undercoating can trap salt and accelerate body corrosion.

LizardSkin Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin
Anybody used this? If so, how much? Does it work? How well does it work? Is it easy to apply? How long does it last?
Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I posted this on a different thred earlier...

Well, I have to say coming from a 2002 Olds Silhouette to the 2011 Odyssey was a great move for us. We completed our annual 3000+ mile 2 week trip in July with 4 adults and 2 kids and easily fit all of our luggage etc. in the van without the rooftop carrier we were required to use for the Silhouette. We basically had the van for a month before the trip. The Odyssey performed flawlessly and never felt underpowered through the mountains. I'm 6' tall and never felt like I was cramped or needed to stretch. It had to be the easiest long distance drive I ever made. The van got fantastic gas mileage even with all the weight in it and the high speeds we were travelling. We looked at the 2010 before our purchase but loved the styling and features of the 2011. All in all the best buying experience and vehicle I've ever purchased.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I posted this on a different thred earlier...

Well, I have to say coming from a 2002 Olds Silhouette to the 2011 Odyssey was a great move for us. We completed our annual 3000+ mile 2 week trip in July with 4 adults and 2 kids and easily fit all of our luggage etc. in the van without the rooftop carrier we were required to use for the Silhouette. We basically had the van for a month before the trip. The Odyssey performed flawlessly and never felt underpowered through the mountains. I'm 6' tall and never felt like I was cramped or needed to stretch. It had to be the easiest long distance drive I ever made. The van got fantastic gas mileage even with all the weight in it and the high speeds we were travelling. We looked at the 2010 before our purchase but loved the styling and features of the 2011. All in all the best buying experience and vehicle I've ever purchased.

how do you get to that screen display?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's under the display settings.

Options are something like this:

TRIP COMPUTER (shown)
Stereo
USB Input (picture of a Honda Logo)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

TRIP COMPUTER (shown)
Stereo
my trip computer shows me some 'highlights' of my last 2 trips and current trip highlights. nothing as detailed, I'll play around when the wife brings the van home :)

thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
We got our 2011 Oddy EX-L RSE 2 week ago today..........took it on our annual family vacation, and here's our thoughts:

2) Gas mileage is GREAT. Averaged about 26mpg on our 800 mile trip, mostly 2-lane highway going 65mph. This is WITH a Thule Ascent 1500 roof box on the roof (not necessary, but nice to keep some of the junk out of the van, like the porta-crib, beach toys, etc etc), 5 suitcases, bouncer seat, 4 people, etc. Based on my observations driving the van empty, I think I could have gotten VERY close to 30mph with a single driver, no Roof Box, and no luggage. Impressive for a vehicle this size!

5) Van drives like a dream. No back pain, foot rest is where I like it, good headlights (non HID), etc. Plenty of passing power, etc.

Overall, we love it, though!! No regrets here!! :))

2. yes-- gas mileage is awesome

3. road noise-- I read this a lot. I find the odyssey to have a lower wind/road noise specially when highway cruising.. I dont know if this makes a difference but I do leave my radio/music ON while driving-- I believe our ody came with "active noise cancellation" system----so I would say I'm not gonna agree with these statement.

5. I have replaced the oem bulb with an HID kit and found out that the bulb is actually sylvania (OSRAM) made from germany (?) not the crap that we have here ( I think its china made-- no offense)

did you forget about the brake? YES-- I think the brakes are good and NO nose dive on panic braking..

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
3) Road noise is a little louder than the 08 we test drove. I am going to undercoat the van and see if that helps. :))

Am I missing something here........You pay 40K for a vehicle and have to undercoat it because it is so noisy.........??

I would think they might have this problem solved by now............

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

TRIP COMPUTER (shown)
Stereo
I looked and couldn't find it. The I looked in the user manual and I only saw that screen for models without a bavigation system, lame.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts