Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI!

I just installed the Honda "In-Dash 6 cd Player" that I got for $299.

It is made by Pioneer and is the same as their model with a few minor facial changes, MSRP: $495.00!

The Honda model has Pioneer on the bottom of the unit and is called a CDX-PDX6H !

The Pioneer is a CDX-PD6!

It really works great and I installed it myself in less than an hour !

Jim Knotz

Jim Knotz

------------------
Jim (2001 Ody') Kenwood KFC-XR60P front speakers, Boston FX4 4", pioneer powered sub ! (orig radio with CD)

Go Oregon State Beavers Football !!

·
Registered
59 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
Hi, I got the Pioneer In-dash 6 CD changer for $300 including installation.</font>
Is this with the factory head unit or a Pioneer head unit?

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
194 Posts
How does it work with the factory single CD player in the EX - can you control the CD and track number from the Stock radio, or just from the CD changer directly. Also - can you still use the single CD player - giving you a total of 7 discs?

Thanks Guys!

PS - "HabsFan" ya gotta be kiddin me!?!? Habs? In this century? Welcome to the world of Blue and White my friend! Bow down to the mighty Maple Leaf rising across Canada!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey PD55
Thanks for the heads up on the cheap 6 disc player at Dalts, I ordered one today.

P.S. 1967, 34 years and counting!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HabsFan:
How big of a job is it to install the 6 CD indash changer. </font>

This is one of the easier installs. The in-dash CD player mounts on the stock radio mounting brackets and it's wiring loom simply plugs into an accessory port on the back of the radio itself. If's you've never had the trim piece around the radio and AC controls off before, I'd allow 30 minutes. If you're comfortable getting that part off, it shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Intrepid175 - can you tell me How it works with the factory single CD player in the EX - can you control the CD and track number from the Stock radio, or just from the CD changer directly. Also - can you still use the single CD player - giving you a total of 7 discs?
Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
PD55:
Yes, you actually have a 7 disc changer. You can control the tracks on the in-dash 6 CD changer using the factory radio. All you do is press the 'CD' button once, you access the cd in the factory radio. Press it twice and you will have access to the changer using all controls in the factory radio.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
PD55:
Yes, you actually have a 7 disc changer. You can control the tracks on the in-dash 6 CD changer using the factory radio. All you do is press the 'CD' button once, you access the cd in the factory radio. Press it twice and you will have access to the changer using all controls in the factory radio.
</font>

Hi PD55,

Sounds about right to me!
The radio controls will allow you to select the tracks being played on the individual CD as well as repeat functions etc. The 6 disk changer has 6 buttons on it's face that allows you to select which disk in the in-dash unit you want to listen to. The CD button on the radios face will allow you to toggle between the radio's single CD player and the in-dash changer. It's very easy to use!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
PD55:
</font>
Can you instead get a cassette/radio unit (like in the LX) and add the CD Changer to work with that (who needs 7 CD's? I'd rather have 6 CD's and Cassette functionality)?

And if so, would/could this other unit work with the EX's steering wheel controls?

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
Can you instead get a cassette/radio unit (like in the LX) and add the CD Changer to work with that (who needs 7 CD's? I'd rather have 6 CD's and Cassette functionality)?

And if so, would/could this other unit work with the EX's steering wheel controls?

Many thanks!
</font>
If you use the LX radio/cassette with CD changer, you loose the steering wheel controls. Read vangirl's thread "Remote Audio Control Problem" two threads below.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can you shuffle between all songs across all CDs? ie. a continuous random play?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Can you shuffle between all songs across all CDs? ie. a continuous random play?</font>
Hi PD55,

I added the 6 disk in-dash changer to the AM/FM Cassette deck in my '01 LX. According to the directions, you can select random play from the radio and it's supposed to play all the selections on the selected CD randomly and then move on to the next disk. It should continue through all 6 disks. As far as I know, the single CD player that came with the EX is a seperate entity and thus will not be included in the rotation unless specifically selected by the operator.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks Intrepid175 - still one question is fuzzy - Can you play Randon songs from across ALL 6 discs like you can with a home carousel?

ie, CD1 Track3, CD5 track7, CD2 Track12,

Really Random?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Thanks Intrepid175 - still one question is fuzzy - Can you play Randon songs from across ALL 6 discs like you can with a home carousel?

ie, CD1 Track3, CD5 track7, CD2 Track12,

Really Random?
</font>

Oh, sorry, I wasn't fully clicking to what you were asking. The manual that came with my in-dash unit didn't say anything about that. It only talked about random playing on the individual disk. I know what you're refering to. My previous car had a Sony 10 disk changer in the trunk and it would randomly play what was available throughout the 10 disk magazine that was loaded in the system.

I don't think the in-dash 6 disk changer has that capability.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Unfortunately the factory disk changer does not have true random play. It will only do it for the disk selected and then move on to the next disk if all songs have been played.
This is because of how the factory unit is set up. The unit cannot quickly access the CD. It will have to store one CD first before it plays the other.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wohoo!! Just installed my $234 cad 6 disc changer from Dalts. Installation was straight forward. The plastic trim panel was the hardest bit. On the LX you just have to pull the radio fuse not take off the neg. battery cable.
It works great! Thanks PD55 for the heads up and thanks Wayne at Dalts Honda.

Next step Pioneer 1655's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad to help. I pick up my 2002 RedRock Pearl EX-L this afternoon. I had my dealer match Dalts price, then I paid to have him install it. I'm not real happy with the $98 he charged, but now it is part of the van for the 36 month warranty - covers both unit and install, and it's rolled into the lease.
Just made sense.

I am building a sub box that will fit beneath the 3rd seat - not in the well but under the seat itself. It will net 1.5 CuFt and be ported for a 12" sub. I plan to mount my amplifier behind the mesh net where the headrests get stacked - should be a tidy fit with most wires hidden.

The seat will still fold down into the well, and I can either throw cargo on top of the wide flat sub box, or remove it quickly.

I foresee us driving 90% of the time with the 3rd seat up in place - and the sub will be completely hidden in the config!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed mine this past Saturday. Piece of cake. I ordered it from Dalts in Toronto What's even more amazing is that I ordered it on Wednesday, and it was here on Thursday. I live in Hawaii and have never received anything in less than two days. Two thumbs up to Wayne and the crew at Dalts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts