Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had to use the spare tire and the jack and tool kit today.after i got done washing/drying my gg 01 lx i noticed the left rear tire looked low and aha!i found a self tapping phillips head screw in it.i used the jack and noticed it was starting to look 'distorted'as i got the left rear tire almost off the ground!-this with an empty van and only 3/4 tank full of gas!i opted to use dad's floor jack instead!
Anyone else think the factory scissor jack is inadequate?
Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think all factory jacks are inadequate.

Before I even took delivery of my Ody, I picked up a small 2-ton floor jack at WalMart. It came in a nice plastic case.

I keep it, along with some tools, maps, a flashlight, a jump-start battery thing, some first-aid equipment and other miscellany in a rubbermaid 'ActionPacker' bin in the back of the van. (You can see the bin in one of my pics, if you care. Click the link in my .sig)

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by perlguy9:
Before I even took delivery of my Ody, I picked up a small 2-ton floor jack at WalMart. It came in a nice plastic case.
</font>
Neat! I have same jack (I'm assuming) without the case. I use it for my SE-R at the drag strip. It's fairly light and was cheap. I have a huge Harbor Freight floor jack for the Ody at home. I need to pick up a jack to carry in the van.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
I need to pick up a jack to carry in the van.

</font>
I found a couple of hydraulic scissor jacks on Harbor Freight website, 1 ton and 2 ton:

-Harry

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
I found a couple of hydraulic scissor jacks on Harbor Freight website, 1 ton and 2 ton:

-Harry

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 07-03-2001).]
</font>
FWIW, I've had a jack for about five or six years that I think is the same one pictured, and it's worked well and often.
I've used it a lot. If you need a small jack, it's just about perfect.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not that I would argue with the previous posters, but I did have occassion to use the Honda-supplied jack today and had no problems whatsoever. I found it quite easy to use and was somewhat surprised at the relative ease of getting the considerable bulk of the Ody into the air. I would think that the Honda-supplied jack would be pretty well stress-tested if for no other reason than potential liability issues. But if you had to use it often, you would probably want to go with an easier and more sturdy product as mentioned by other posters.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts