Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I have searched the previous generation forums but could not find a satisfactory answer, so I apologize if I am being repetitive. I am wondering who knows of any aftermarket company (mugen, spoon, Neuspeed, etc.) who makes a front strut tower brace?

Thanks in advance,

Art
2011 Tafetta White / Truffle Ody Touring Elite

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Not aware of anyone who makes a strut tower brace for Generation 2+. For Gen 2 (not sure of your Gen 4 but probably), this could be because the strut towers are under the front cowl. So it would be very difficult to attach a brace to them. Or, it could be just that there isn't a market for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave - Well, it was worth a try...

Shazzam - I was just trying to just "tighten up" the handling just a bit more to decrease the sway.

Would you guys have any other suggestions?

thanks again..

·
Registered
21 Posts
The benefits of a STB have always been dubious on any car, much less a minivan IMHO. Most units don't triangulate contact points and so limit their effectivness. I had them (or something similar) on my old cars (read NSX) and felt nothing (on and off the track)

What will do more are larger sway bars which don't change spring rate while going straight but keep the car from rolling over as much.

we ride on 65 series tires... i just can't see the benefit of a Strut Tower Bar.

·
Registered
613 Posts
a rear sway bar which is currently not made would help handling quite a bit. I'm looking to see if I can convert a ridgeline rear bar but it will take some modification.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
I'm curious, what would be the point of it?
A strut tower brace reduces the flexing of the body in hard turns by transferring some stress from the overloaded tower on the outside of the turn to the unloaded tower on the inside. Reduced body flexing keeps the car more level in hard turns and so handling is improved.

Some cars have stiffer bodies than others. A STB would be less effective on a car that already has a stiff body. I suspect the NSX that Hiroshima mentioned would fall into this category. Regardless of its effectiveness, it looks boss IMHO on every installation.

·
Banned
728 Posts
A strut tower brace reduces the flexing of the body in hard turns by transferring some stress from the overloaded tower on the outside of the turn to the unloaded tower on the inside. Reduced body flexing keeps the car more level in hard turns and so handling is improved.

Some cars have stiffer bodies than others. A STB would be less effective on a car that already has a stiff body. I suspect the NSX that Hiroshima mentioned would fall into this category. Regardless of its effectiveness, it looks boss IMHO on every installation.
Hard turns?? I'm driving a 2011 Odyssey with a 4 year old and a 1 year old in car seats in the middle row. If I want to take "hard turns" I'll leave the kids at home and drive the sports car.

It is a mini van!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Does the MDX have one because it might be interchangeable just like my 01 Accord and the TL from that era. I have a TL type s steering wheel, a TL type s strut bar and TL type s rear sway bar all which were interchangeable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Shazzam -

LOL!! No, not neccessarily hard turns on a regular basis. i am carting around a 2 and 7 year old myself. Just wanted to see what the possibilities out there to have incraesed handing for those times when you need it most, preventing an accident, avoiding emergencies, ability to handle last minute changes in direction, etc. I live in Northern California, and around me, we have the greatest drivers here (sarcasm), and you never know what they will pull out in front of you (pun intended). I know we all bought an amzing piece of machinery, and just wanted to know if there was anything there was to improve upon it, that's all.

cheers,

Art

·
Registered
511 Posts
i'm with you.. would like to make the van handle better myself and not for spirited driving but just for whenever you need to. And sure it's a minivan, but that makes it even more fun and challenging. I'm sure that's what went thru the minds of the people who built Turbo Ody for one lap of America.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! Funny. Just gotta keep an open mind, and you never know who will come up with an idea that will benefit us all. Love this forum. BTW, not to change the subject, but just got the allweather floor mats, cargo liner and the second row seat covers, and feel much better about protecting the interior! You never know with the little ones!

·
Banned
728 Posts
At this time of year (wet slushy melt going on), I'm tempted to make my 4 year old take her boots off before she starts climbing into her car seat installed in our brand new van. Oh well, not really practical so it is another clean up job for me every week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in sacramento too...

If you want better handling, I honestly think you would benefit from lower profile tires that have less sidewall flex than a STB. STB's and most underbody braces will have the least amount of gain of all handeling bolt-ons.

Lets put it this way. Its like putting on a big-bore throttle body on a car with a stock intake, header, exhaust. Sure it may help, but the time and money (if it were mine) I would rather spend elsewhere.

Not to pooh-pooh your idea. I have had more than a few cars that have had them... its just that I have never had one that actually made any difference (that I could tell). I would bet you would feel more difference by stickier tires (probably makes more difference than anything). If you have seen the van that laps the nurburgring passing P-cars and other exotics, body roll is annoying but it does not necessarily limit grip to a point that it will make a difference for any of us who drive a 4500lb minivan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does the MDX have one because it might be interchangeable just like my 01 Accord and the TL from that era. I have a TL type s steering wheel, a TL type s strut bar and TL type s rear sway bar all which were interchangeable.
I have a 2006 MDX. There is no stock STB on my vehicle (I have the touring model of that car also).

·
Registered
427 Posts
The benefits of a STB have always been dubious on any car, much less a minivan IMHO. Most units don't triangulate contact points and so limit their effectivness. I had them (or something similar) on my old cars (read NSX) and felt nothing (on and off the track)

What will do more are larger sway bars which don't change spring rate while going straight but keep the car from rolling over as much.

we ride on 65 series tires... i just can't see the benefit of a Strut Tower Bar.
Put the Touring 18 inch which are 60 series (profile) tires on. The ride isn't really any worse. That said, the 2011 Oddy has a little less body lean than the 2005-2010 generation in my opinion from having 2005.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I live in sacramento too...

If you want better handling, I honestly think you would benefit from lower profile tires that have less sidewall flex than a STB. STB's and most underbody braces will have the least amount of gain of all handeling bolt-ons.

Lets put it this way. Its like putting on a big-bore throttle body on a car with a stock intake, header, exhaust. Sure it may help, but the time and money (if it were mine) I would rather spend elsewhere.

Not to pooh-pooh your idea. I have had more than a few cars that have had them... its just that I have never had one that actually made any difference (that I could tell). I would bet you would feel more difference by stickier tires (probably makes more difference than anything). If you have seen the van that laps the nurburgring passing P-cars and other exotics, body roll is annoying but it does not necessarily limit grip to a point that it will make a difference for any of us who drive a 4500lb minivan
It depends on how many compromises you want to make. Keep in mind stickier tires will lead to decreased gas mileage as well, esp on highway trips.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hard turns?? I'm driving a 2011 Odyssey with a 4 year old and a 1 year old in car seats in the middle row. If I want to take "hard turns" I'll leave the kids at home and drive the sports car.

It is a mini van!!
Agreed! Although you would be surprised at how some of the crazy drivers I see in the New York area drive these vans, like they are racing them...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts