Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I carry a lot of bikes around on my odyssey. Right now I have a roof rack with a pod and 2 trays, plus a hitch mount rack with room for 2 bikes. However, I would like to get a rack to hold 4 bikes for the hitch, but the lack of ground clearance makes me nervous. Has anyone experimented with "lifting" their odyssey? I'm looking into the airlift mod to keep the rear end from sagging, but that's not gonna help me with the overall clearance problem. I've searched and searched all over the internet and found nothing so far. And yes I know I should just buy a truck, but lets assume that's not an option. Thanks!
-Dan

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
How well the air lift option would help would be related to how much the weight of the bikes is coloring you sense of how low the Ody is now. It is low, for getting kids and stuff in and out, it's primary designed purpose. How about a hitch mounted rack that was modified to be higher. Not all trailer hitches stick straight out, some L up. Why couldn't a bike rack get some welding?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already done some basic welding to the rack to get it a bit higher. The problem is I wont be able to access the hatch if I get it any higher. And with a 4 bike rack, and driving up moutain road (sometimes fairly rough) clearance would still be a concern. I might be asking to much from the old odyssey here, but we'll see. I'm definitely gonna get the air lift doohickes if nothing else. But the problem is I'm also loading it with tons of cargo too: 4 adults, 4 bikes, and about 1000+ pounds of biking/camping related gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be really careful changing the suspension height of your van. I would stick with airbags to level out and leave it at that.

Keep in mind that anything like spring spacers or compressors that people use to change ride height also impact the suspension geometry such as caster, camber, track, etc. Wheels don't go "up and down" as you hit bumps, they travel in somewhat of an arc.

I've done some DIY suspension work before...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 3 kids and when we travel I use my thule basket on the roof and sometimes I would carry my thule 5 bike carrier rack. I did lift my 2002 odyssey by about an inch and added extra 700 lbs carrying capacity. This was done by having to add more spring rate (thicker coil springs in the rear with an extra inch lift. I changed the rear shocks to the Monroe reflex shock . The coil springs were custom made by coilsprings.com. The principle is the same as if you will convert your van to accomodate wheel chair lifts. The folks at coilsprings .com are very knowledgable with this. Of course you need to get an allignment after and you have to re-aim the headlights. My set up has been since 2004 when i had 54000 miles. Now I' m at 135,000 miles. The ride is smooth and controlled even fully loaded.
Hope this helps
Edwin
2002 Honda Odyssey EX
HID fog lamps
Framm horn
K&N air filter

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know guys in the Subaru world use spring had risers. they're pretty much special washers that go in between the top of the strut mount and the unibody. they come in various heights. not sure if they'd work on Hondas..?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This post isn't getting a lot of love, but I thought I'd ask, if anyone has tried using a lift kit like the Traxda lift kit on their Ody? I'm seriously considering this. Really tired of scraping bottom on parking blocks in virtually all parking lots. Already have had to reattach the plastic underbelly shield a couple of times. I'm thinking a 2" lift kit is not enough to change the ride characteristics tremendously, but enough to stop the scraping bottom all the time.

1/12/2020 Update: I installed the Traxda lift kit today. I've never touched a suspension before and was able to do it myself in my garage with a floor jack and a couple of Jack stands. The instruction sheet was useful, though not great, missing some pictures.
The Traxda lift kit is a 2" spacer kit that attaches to the top of your strut in the front, and to the top of the spring in the rear. Though the spacer unit is only 2", the effective lift at the bumper is 3.5-4". Now I've got about 11.5" inches of clearance at the bottom of the wheel well, where I use to have about 8". Not scraping bottom on parking blocks any more! Does not change ride characteristics.
Will report back here when I've got a few months use on them.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This post isn't getting a lot of love, but I thought I'd ask, if anyone has tried using a lift kit like the Traxda lift kit on their Ody? I'm seriously considering this. Really tired of scraping bottom on parking blocks in virtually all parking lots. Already have had to reattach the plastic underbelly shield a couple of times. I'm thinking a 2" lift kit is not enough to change the ride characteristics tremendously, but enough to stop the scraping bottom all the time.

1/12/2020 Update: I installed the Traxda lift kit today. I've never touched a suspension before and was able to do it myself in my garage with a floor jack and a couple of Jack stands. The instruction sheet was useful, though not great, missing some pictures.
The Traxda lift kit is a 2" spacer kit that attaches to the top of your strut in the front, and to the top of the spring in the rear. Though the spacer unit is only 2", the effective lift at the bumper is 3.5-4". Now I've got about 11.5" inches of clearance at the bottom of the wheel well, where I use to have about 8". Not scraping bottom on parking blocks any more! Does not change ride characteristics.
Will report back here when I've got a few months use on them.
@gflu - What year is your Odyssey? I noticed that Traxda Kit is for later models. I have a 2006 and am looking at this kit. I was just wondering if it was backwards compatible. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
@gflu - What year is your Odyssey? I noticed that Traxda Kit is for later models. I have a 2006 and am looking at this kit. I was just wondering if it was backwards compatible. Thanks
I have a 2011. It's a pretty simple kit so it might be compatible with a 2006.If the struts are the same it's likely they'd fit. The guys at Traxda should be able to advise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts