Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD changer jammed, and I'm told it will be three weeks to get the radio unit back as they aren't fixed on site.

I have been meaning to explore running my iPhone 4 through it anyway for all the obvious reasons.

The problem: going on a cross country drive soon and don't want to risk not having the radio at the least.

Is there a really affordable to "line-in" my phone to have some music?

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a little confused: are you saying the entire head unit has been removed from your vehicle for repairs, so you want a way to connect your iPhone directly to the audio wires that normally connect to your head unit?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the unit is there and works, save the jammed CD.

I don't want to pull it and lose the head for three weeks while I drive.

I'm sure any solutions require getting behind the unit, so I'll be researching how to pull it as well.

Sorry for the confusion. The unit will be in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure if this will work for you or not but here is what I did.

Look in the back row of seats, on the driver's side and under the arm rest/cup holder. There should be a (if memory serves me correctly) a red and white RCA connector back there. Find a cable with those two plugs on one end and a standard head phone jack on the other, with enough length to reach the front. You can listen to it via the Aux channel on your radio.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my EX-L the head unit has an aux line-in port, down near the cigarette-lighter-type ports. I'm assuming your EX does not have this line-in port, or else you wouldn't be asking the question :)

I'd recommend buying an inexpensive FM transmitter. These devices are $15-$30, and plug into your iPhone via the headphone port. They transmit the audio coming from the headphone port as an FM signal, and you then tune your radio to that FM frequency. This seems like the simplest, cheapest solution -- certainly much simpler than pulling your head unit to find inputs behind it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
How about some more info on the car - model year, is changer separate from the head unit? 2008+ have the built in aux port near the bottom of the "stack" but as previous poster mentioned I am guessing you don't have that.

If the changer is separate, you can reomove the radio, unplug the changer, trash it, and get an aux adaptor from companies like PIE or Blitzsafe to name a few, and plug it right in. If it is an integrated changer unit, your best bet is to get an aftermarket radio with an input. Search here in the audio forum for more information and options.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Search for the radio reset procedure. The CD Changer perhaps just might working after the reset. Several have had luck with that. This belongs to the Audio/Video forum so its moved.

As to adding iPod/iPhone connectivity, several different options on that one with multiple DIYs posted on here for the budget consious.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no lines in on the head unit, below dash, or in the back.

2007 EX-L.

Its been a while since we bought it, but I could swear it was just an EX although my insurance card is calling it an EXL.

No nav/entertainment. I just got it for the 8th seat.

I'd like to look behind to examine the head units layout. Is pulling the radio difficult?

·
Registered
632 Posts
EXL is leather seat while EX is plain cloth seat

·
Registered
747 Posts
Before you go in, I would decide on an AUX adaptor unit and buy it. That way you only need to go in once. I would say do that and forget about CD's.

We have a 6 disc changer in our '10 and have never put one in it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts