Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3 year toddler who will be in the 3rd row in a booster seat, and twin newborns who I would like to put in the second row in the rear facing car seats. When we brought them home from the hospital, we used our convertible car seats in the rear facing positions, but you couldn't get into the van from the sliding doors because the car seats were up against the backs of the front row seats. Are there any suggestions on specific brand infant car seats that are small and work best in the Ody? We just got ours (7/01) and are complete minivan novices. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What if you put the two 2nd-row seats together as a bench? This would allow you to get into the cabin via the passenger side sliding door.

That is of course if both carseats will fit when the 2nd-row seat are in the bench position.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to the OdyClub and especially welcome to the twins club. I too have a 2 1/2 year old son and 10 month old girl twins. You can quess what drove me to buy a minivan. You made an excellent choice in purchasing the Odyssey. Good Luck with yours. Anyway getting back to your dilemma I placed my son in the third row in a booster seat and my daughters in rear facing infant car seats made by Evenflo. I also moved the captains chairs to the bench position which allowed easier access to my son. Unfortunately the seat belt on passenger side still got in your way.
Please note the rear facing seats were a pain even with the bench arrangement but you get use to it.
I recently turned the girls to the forward facing position and was able to return the second row seats back to the captains chair position. What an improvement in terms of moving around in the cabin and access to all the children.
The type of car seats that I am using are the Fisher Price Safe Embrace and the Booster seat is a Graco Cherish Cargo. The infant carrier seats were made by EvenFlo.
I hope this info is helpful and let us know how you make out. Good Luck and take it one day at a time with those twins!!!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Some options:

1) Buy two infant seats. These usually take less room than a convertible, and may be more convenient for newborns. Visit your local ToysRUs or BabiesRUs (who usually offer a twins discount, I understand) and bring a ruler :) All models will be safe if they fit properly. The Graco Snugride DX5 is one many parents seem to like for its features and smaller size. You might be sure to include that one in your search. Dimensions of carseat models can also be found here:
http://www.carseatdata.org/csstats.html

2) Move the 2nd row seat to a bench, and put a LATCH compatible carseat on the passenger side so that the seatbelts do not block access to the third row. You can then move that chair as far forward as possible. Any Century carseat since 9/1/97 can use the Century EZ LATCH adapter for this purpose. Also see http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html .

Please, under no circumstances turn your infants front facing until they are at least 12 months AND 1 year old. Rear-facing is the safest mode of travel for infants and all passengers. It is preferable that children remain rear-facing to the limits of their carseats (30-35 pounds on many newer convertible models). This practice is endorsed by every organization involved in injury prevention, including the American Academy of Pediatrics. It is also likely to appear in state laws in the future.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I have some additional information and photos on carseats in the Odyssey here: http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:
Please, under no circumstances turn your infants front facing until they are at least 12 months AND 1 year old.
[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 08-09-2001).]
</font>
Caviller - don't you mean 12 months and 20 lbs????

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robr2:
Caviller - don't you mean 12 months and 20 lbs????

</font>
Um...Just checking to see if anyone was paying attention? Yeah...That's the ticket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
caviller said:
Congrats and welcome. Some options:

1).... The Graco Snugride DX5 is one many parents seem to like for its features and smaller size...

2) Move the 2nd row seat to a bench, and put a LATCH compatible carseat on the passenger side so that the seatbelts do not block access to the third row. You can then move that chair as far forward as possible. Any Century carseat since 9/1/97 can use the Century EZ LATCH adapter for this purpose. Also see http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html ......

Does anyone happen to know if the Graco Snugride is compatible with the Century EZ LATCH adapter? My understanding is that Graco and Century are owned by the same company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts