Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting Number 2 in about 8 months and am looking for the latest and greatest(preferably not the most expensive) in infant seats--I would prefer LATCH system. Child car seats seem to change like the weather and I was wondering what any new parents are currently using. Our 23 month old daughter is using what we have now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I second the Britax vote. We have a LATCH compliant Britax seat that is utterly superb. Rock solid in the seat, easy to remove and install, and the straps work very well. Plus, judging from how well our son sleeps on road trips, the chair must be quite comfortable. Worth every bit of the $180 we paid. We had previously owned Evenflo and Century seats, and they are cheap crap plastic compared to this finely crafted European child safety device! You spent the money to get a better van--don't skimp on the seat!

STLODY

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The Britaxs mentioned above sound like they're Roundabouts or Marathons, which are convertible seats.

By "infant seats" I assume that you're looking for the style with the carrier that pops out of the base. If so, Baby Trend has a new model out with rigid-LATCH and an available five point harness.

Darren has some pictures in his gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/image/4294571

There's a detailed review by another CPS tech at http://www.carseatdata.org, but it's not working right now.

I've heard it's about $80.

If you don't want to go that route, the Graco Snugride is well liked. All carseats now must be LATCH compatible so that won't be a problem for you. Supposedly this rigid-LATCH Baby Trend goes in very easily.

Michelle

·
Registered
178 Posts
we have a britax and a fisher price, the britax roundabout is twice the price, and seems more comfortable, plus I like the fact I can tether it when it is rear-facing.

you might want to check consumerreports.org though, they rate the fisher-price higher than any other.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Britax and the Fisher Price. My daughter is using a Fisher Price in the Ody and a Graco in the Accord. They're both good but neither are LATCH.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
icydon62 said:
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Britax and the Fisher Price. My daughter is using a Fisher Price in the Ody and a Graco in the Accord. They're both good but neither are LATCH.
fyi: the Fisher Price seats (all of them) have been discontinued for about two years.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I didn't know about the fisher price's - thanks.

here is what consumer reports says about the first couple of latch seats they tested (dated 9/02):

The Safety 1st Comfort Ride 22-400, $70 (tested as the Forerunner 02-925, its earlier model name), requires attaching a top tether to the car seat and adjusting its length. The tether prevents the child's head from moving too far forward in a crash. The Safety 1st tether is very difficult to fit and adjust. But when it is set up correctly, the seat affords very good crash protection for a toddler. Rear-facing for infants, the Comfort Ride provided only good crash protection, we found.

The Britax Expressway Isofit, $200, designed for toddlers only, has a factory-installed top tether that's easy to adjust. But installation instructions aren't as clear as they could be, which could mean that the LATCH connectors aren't routed to the lower anchors correctly and you may not get a secure fit. When properly installed, the Expressway afforded excellent protection in our crash tests.QUOTE]

their last full-test was 7/01.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
For clarification, what kind of seat are you looking for? An infant seat to bring the new baby home from the hospital in, or a new seat for your nearly 2-year old? What is your child in now, because that does make a difference?

G

·
i have two britax marathons and they are good. i am not convinced that the most expensive are the safest but the marathons are easy to use and the straps are the best i have seen. i like that they are simple to use so they are used correctly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Emilie has a Fisher Price in the Ody and it can be used as a booster when she's old enough. In the Accord is a Graco that covers infant thru toddler but can not be used as a booster seat.

So for Number 2 I want something that can be used for infants and then switched to rear facing at age 1 (I guess that's called a convertible). This would be installed in the Ody.

I've been quite pleased with the 2 seats we have. I will check out the Britax. Oh, I saw a leather seat in Target for a mere $179.95. Now if the leather matched what was in the Ody I guess I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
icydon62 said:
Emilie has a Fisher Price in the Ody and it can be used as a booster when she's old enough. In the Accord is a Graco that covers infant thru toddler but can not be used as a booster seat.

So for Number 2 I want something that can be used for infants and then switched to rear facing at age 1 (I guess that's called a convertible). This would be installed in the Ody.

I've been quite pleased with the 2 seats we have. I will check out the Britax. Oh, I saw a leather seat in Target for a mere $179.95. Now if the leather matched what was in the Ody I guess I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Thanks for the input.
Yes, that is a convertible car seat. That leather seat you saw was probably a Cosco Alpha Omega Eddie Bauer, which many people don't really end up liking.

Here's some options:

Britax Roundabout with LATCH: goes up to 40 lbs. has EPS foam, lockoffs, front adjuster, etc. etc.

The Britax Marathon goes up to 65lbs.

Also, you might check out the Graco Comfort Sport. I haven't really had a chance to road test it, but it looks like a very nice seat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another Britax Vote!

Britax, I have found are easiest to CORRECTLY install and are safe. Have two, one in my wife's ODyssey and another in my A4 . . . .

G

·
i just turned one of our marathogns forward facing and it was easy. but i did remove the headrest on that particular middle row captain chair.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd definitely recommend the Graco Snugride as a carrier, and a Britax Roundabout as a convertible.

FYI, I notice you mentioned that you already have a Snugride that's not LATCH. Graco makes a LATCH kit for this seat; the kit is about $20 and is available directly from them or from baby stores. If you want to use the base, though, you may need to buy a new one (again, about $20), since the older bases aren't compatible with their LATCH kits. It may be just as easy to buy a new Snugride, then.

-dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts