Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the General Altimax RT43s recently, replacing the worn, noisy Hankook Optimo 727s (the Optimos were good at first, began to whine as they wore down -- no strange wear, but noisy at 6/32)

The RT43 is an upgrade of the well-respected Altimax RT -- specifically addressing winter performance. Here are my first thoughts:

-- Very quiet, excellent match for the road noise sensitive Odyssey. The engine is now louder than the road :)
-- Firm ride, better on corners than the H727 and seems sticky to the road. Controlled ride with good handling of bumps.
-- No experience on wet performance yet, but we did have a snow dump. The RT43 did fine on packed snow, but not as well as the H727 -- the TCS light and A/L system came on much more frequently than I ever had with the H727 (which were designed to do well in winter -- soft sidewalls and flexible rubber on the Optimo). But the Generals still felt safe.
-- Highway driving is a pleasure -- sure handling, straight tracking and low noise.

Excellent for a 70,000 mile budget tire. The pricing is great -- under $90 each for 225/60/16, street pricing.

Tire Rack seems to like it, also comparing the RT43 to the H727:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=178

All four of mine were Made in USA -- appears that the 225/60/16 are all made here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update -- in the middle of a snowstorm tonight, the Altimax RT43 did very well. The best description for the RT43 in snow would be "predictable" -- if there is a bit of slide the steering response is easy to control. Better handling overall than the Optimo H727, now over 800 miles and still very quiet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update -- in the middle of a snowstorm tonight, the Altimax RT43 did very well. The best description for the RT43 in snow would be "predictable" -- if there is a bit of slide the steering response is easy to control. Better handling overall than the Optimo H727, now over 800 miles and still very quiet.
Still have them/like them? Considering them for my '03 LX to replace Yokohamas.....

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks for the excellent and useful feedback on the Generals. I also thought that my Hankook Optimo 727s were rather noisy and it's good to hear someone confirm that!

I'll definitely consider the
General Altimax RT43 along with the Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring in a couple of months.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update -- With a few thousand miles, the RT43s are doing well. Dry traction is fine, excellent in the rain -- very predictable. Finding that noise levels can be variable: rough pavement does transmit through the tires, but the Odyssey does not handle road noise well anyway. Smooth roads can be eerie silent. Road imperfections are absorbed nicely. These tires have a good balance of sidewall compliance to soak up the bumps, but just enough firmness to make handling predictable. Wear is minimal, but this is still early on.

·
Registered
788 Posts
"Excellent in the rain" That's good news. Road surface is the great equalizer for sure, but those "eerie silent" moments are a real pleasure! Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have General Altimax on my 2004 and Yokohama on my 2001. The only issue in the first 10k on the Generals was the van pulling hard to the right which rotating the tires fixed. Generals are a lot quieter and gripping feeling than the Yokohamas, which are not bad tires. My.02

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just swapped on my new set of Continental ContiContact Winter (225/75-R16) on steelies on the '09 Ody. Brand new, bought on CL for only Cdn$300 in the summer :D My first ever set of Continentals and man, are these nice grippy and super-quiet tires. Even brand new with the little hairs still on the tread blocks, tire noise is zilch !

The stock Michelin LX4s are now in storage but I'll be replacing them (finally !) in the Spring. Glad to hear favorable reviews on the Altimax RT43s ....... found a local tire shop selling them (stock size 235/65-R16) for only $102 each. Will be getting these for sure unless I come across something even better in the same price range.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
20K miles later -- 14 months later

Update after two winters, 20K of wear, 14 months of use --

These Altimax RT43s are showing only moderate, even wear (rotating every 5000 miles). Have handled two winters with moderate snow/ice and many rain storms with no problems at all. Sure-footed, predictable response. Seems to have picked up in the noise level -- some of this is due to the propensity of the tread to pick up small rocks which stay wedged, causing some rumble. Should make it another 20K easily....

·
Registered
67 Posts
My initial experience so far with a new set of Altimax RT43's that replaced the horrid Michelin Defenders. Have gone less than 1000 miles on them, but they have seen typical central Ohio winter weather:
-They seem to ride softer than the Defenders and are quieter.
- Much MUCH better snow traction. Previous comments about being "predictable" is very accurate.
- Very good in slush
- Very good in rain
_They seem to be more sensitive to flat spotting after sitting for a day. After a few miles, it goes away. My Nokian's on my previous 2002 Ody exhibited the same behavior. Nokian said it was due to the higher amount of silicone in the tire.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just swapped on my new set of Continental ContiContact Winter (225/75-R16) on steelies on the '09 Ody. Brand new, bought on CL for only Cdn$300 in the summer :D My first ever set of Continentals and man, are these nice grippy and super-quiet tires. Even brand new with the little hairs still on the tread blocks, tire noise is zilch !

The stock Michelin LX4s are now in storage but I'll be replacing them (finally !) in the Spring. Glad to hear favorable reviews on the Altimax RT43s ....... found a local tire shop selling them (stock size 235/65-R16) for only $102 each. Will be getting these for sure unless I come across something even better in the same price range.
Well I FINALLY got around to getting a set of the Altimax RT43 but not a moment too soon. I happened to catch a good sale at Canadian Tire (a national automotive/tools/housewares chain) where the sale is basically 50% off the tires as long as you also get a 4-wheel alignment (which itself is only $90). So that knocked off $230 off the total bill (each tire is $115). They also waived the mounting and balancing fees and the 6-month storage fee ($60) for my winter Continentals (we live in an apartment with limited storage space in our underground parkade, so spare sets of wheels/tires for the Ody and my car go to Canadian Tire's storage facility).

First impressions ....... the Altimax is super quiet and offer very decent handling control. I've only drove about 15kms after the tires went on the car, in summer weather, so this is really a 10% glimpse of what the tires will experience in the coming months and years. But I sure don't miss the OEM Michelin LX4 ...... what POS they are.

Will post regular updates as the seasons and weather change.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just purchased a set of these from America's Tire and will be installed them on Thursday (they have to be special order since AT doesn't carry them). The price came out a bit higher than Tirerack+Shipping+installation but lifetime rotation and balancing will eventually even things up (or come out ahead).

I'll be taking a 2500 miles round trip on Sunday to Vegas/AZ so it will be a nice test for the new tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ron777 and others,

After having these tires for a number of years, how have they fared long term. How many miles are you typically getting out of the tires?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ron777 and others,

After having these tires for a number of years, how have they fared long term. How many miles are you typically getting out of the tires?

Thanks,
Rob

Purchased mine May of 2016 from Discount Tire Direct for about $360 after all rebates and promotions. This is the first time I replaced the tires since the van was bought new in 2012. OEM Michelin Tires only lasted 45000 miles but was worn out evenly. Tire performance was at par with the OEM with slight road noise compared to the Michelins.

In December 2017, I had to replace two tires from DTD under the road hazard protection; one having an unfixable puncture, and the other with a side bulge. That being said, I had clocked in about 12500 miles on the tires and had it rotated twice without noticing any uneven wear. The new tires were then installed in the rears and the used ones were put up front. 3000 miles in, when I had my oil changed and planned on having it rotated, the front tires were shot, down to 2/32... so practically I only got about 15500 miles of use on it... luckily, DTD helped me by giving me a credit back through the manufacturer rated tread life warranty...

I think the reason for the premature wear was due to the fact that the front 2 tires were not rotated to the rears as it should have been due to the installation of the new tires... the "newer" rear tires are measured at 8/32 after 3000 miles of mostly stop/go suburban driving which I know puts more load on the tires... nevertheless, I was hoping that these tires, which is supposedly rated for 75000 miles of use, can outlast the OEM Michelins...

the debacle now is if Costco will let me have the newer tires installed in the fronts... the person who helped in at DTD mentioned that new studies have shown that as long as there is 4/32 tread left on the rears, it should be ok not to put the newer tires at the back...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm on my second set of RT43's and will definitely get them again. Ive tried Michelin Defenders and while happy with them the first yr ( 18K miles) after that they wore badly, NOISY and downright frightening in the rain and snow.
The General's have been much more consistent with wear and noise. Im on my third year with close to 50K on them and will likely replace them before winter. Thats pretty good for me!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Purchased mine May of 2016 from Discount Tire Direct for about $360 after all rebates and promotions. This is the first time I replaced the tires since the van was bought new in 2012. OEM Michelin Tires only lasted 45000 miles but was worn out evenly. Tire performance was at par with the OEM with slight road noise compared to the Michelins.

In December 2017, I had to replace two tires from DTD under the road hazard protection; one having an unfixable puncture, and the other with a side bulge. That being said, I had clocked in about 12500 miles on the tires and had it rotated twice without noticing any uneven wear. The new tires were then installed in the rears and the used ones were put up front. 3000 miles in, when I had my oil changed and planned on having it rotated, the front tires were shot, down to 2/32... so practically I only got about 15500 miles of use on it... luckily, DTD helped me by giving me a credit back through the manufacturer rated tread life warranty...

I think the reason for the premature wear was due to the fact that the front 2 tires were not rotated to the rears as it should have been due to the installation of the new tires... the "newer" rear tires are measured at 8/32 after 3000 miles of mostly stop/go suburban driving which I know puts more load on the tires... nevertheless, I was hoping that these tires, which is supposedly rated for 75000 miles of use, can outlast the OEM Michelins...

the debacle now is if Costco will let me have the newer tires installed in the fronts... the person who helped in at DTD mentioned that new studies have shown that as long as there is 4/32 tread left on the rears, it should be ok not to put the newer tires at the back...
This isn't a ringing endorsement for the Generals

I think there are "old" Defenders and those were bad, and then there was an updated model called Defender T&H and those are better? I have the "old" Defenders on my Odyssey and have probably gotten 30K miles from them, way less than the "90,000 mile tread life" they advertise. I am hoping to get some prorated rebate for some new Michelins given how they wore down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts