Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaargh!!...For a little while now, my wife's Odyssey has been making a strange rattling (droning) sound during acceleration. This is what happens: Getting up to speed and changing gears while it is trying to develop enough speed and revs to shift into third, if I give it more gas than needed (but not enough to kick down...nor is it limited to me trying to make it happen), it makes this awful sound. It *sounds* like what the air filter box might sound like if it were not secure in the bay...that is, it sounds like something is loose, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I am inclined to think that there is nothing wrong, per se, but it is annoying as hell! Your help is appreciated, if only for the sake of my sanity.

One final note. I am in the process of...rehabilitating...the Ody, as it has not received much in the way of TLC these past few years....basic stuff only.

So, my question is this: What sort of things should I be doing or looking for on this 97 with 138k miles on it? Any must do's? Any culprits to be wary of? How do these respond to (quality) aftermarket parts? Although this is a 14 year old car, I know there is a lot of life left to it.

I'm sorry for the rambling, but I want to get this old girl back up to snuff. Thanks again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Could it be the heat shield on the exhaust pipe? That's what rattles on my '95 Ody, but I only notice it when the car is stopped, in gear, and the engine is idling.

Have you done the timing belt yet?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Exhaust heat shields are a very common rattle problem when they start to rust. I just use a big hose clamp to tighten them back down. I have a 98 Odyssey that I am parting out. Let me know if you need anything and I will see if I still have it. Its an EX, gold with a tan interior. Good luck. Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I know what your talking about... Mine does the same thing.. I was checking the air filter the other night and man was it a pain to get back on. I am pretty sure I didnt seat it all the way. So I can here the Intake roar as if i put a cone filter on it.

I bet if you check the air filter and make sure it is sealed that should fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also check the mounting bracket that secures the exhaust downpipe to the back of the engine block. Mine was completely sheered into two pieces. Every time the motor rocked in the motor mounts when accelerating or decelerating, the broken bracket would rattle against itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts