Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harmonic balancer (HB) on our 2007 EXL started to wobble start last winter and progressively got worse.
I bought a Dorman replacement along with a few new toys (Dewalt impact drill and Lisle socket).

Believe or not the easiest part was removing the crank bolt, took 30s with the new Dewalt + socket.
Lots of videos about removing the bolts, hardly any of an actual install of a new HB.

Old OE HB looked good, no obvious defects and removal was super easy.
However, the install of the Dorman HB hasn't gone as smooth. I tried to 'walk' it onto the crankshaft, no luck.
Upon closer inspection the 'ribs' are new and not smoothed out as on the old one and perhaps it's preventing it to slide on.
In my frustration, I took some pliers and removed the woodruff key (pin) thinking it was preventing the new HB from sliding on. Now I can't get the key back in. I read a few posts not to hammer the key in, I really hope I didn't cause a problem. I have a service manual and reference when the key removed is when the timing belt pulley is replaced.

Can anyone advise how to reinstall the woodruff key? Also, any harm of gently tapping the new Dorman on?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I wouldn't touch any Dorman part. OEM HB from junk yard is much better choice than new Dorman.. At least you wont have a problem to install it.

To insert key back in you need to make sure the sprocket and crankshaft are lined up. Misalignment likely is what causes the problem.
Be very careful now. At this point it is possible to damage valves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, called the local junk shop located an OE HB for $125, not bad

I was able to get the key back on after removing the large washer on the shaft, got a better look and misaligned by a fraction, put the bolt back on and gave it a few light bumps until the keyhole was lined up and all good!

Also, replaced the original HB and turned the engine on - without belts - no wobble. I'm going to put the belt back on and hope I don't hear the wobble, perhaps it was loose. I may buy the junk yard HB just in case. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks, called the local junk shop located an OE HB for $125, not bad

I was able to get the key back on after removing the large washer on the shaft, got a better look and misaligned by a fraction, put the bolt back on and gave it a few light bumps until the keyhole was lined up and all good!

Also, replaced the original HB and turned the engine on - without belts - no wobble. I'm going to put the belt back on and hope I don't hear the wobble, perhaps it was loose. I may buy the junk yard HB just in case. Thanks for the input
$125 is way too expensive for used one. If you are around Toronto, you should be able to find better price. I am sure, any u-pull yard in Hamilton will charge no more than 10CAD for it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
$125 is way too expensive for used one. If you are around Toronto, you should be able to find better price. I am sure, any u-pull yard in Hamilton will charge no more than 10CAD for it.
Trying to undo crankshaft bolt at u pull place could be interesting. It is already hard to remove from running car, and to add sitting out in the junk yard, etc.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Not if you have the often recommended Milwaukee impact driver and Lisle socket!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Trying to undo crankshaft bolt at u pull place could be interesting. It is already hard to remove from running car, and to add sitting out in the junk yard, etc.
I recently found a very new looking crank bolt at local LKQ. It took about half of the second to take it off with Milwaukee impact and regular socket.. New bolt is still sitting in my garage somewhere.

Milwaukee impact rocks, a must have for everyone who dares to do TB job at home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
PXL_20210408_211743658.jpg
I got the gear - haha - unfortunately u-pulls are limited around here, just a couple to plunder from. Things would be different under normal (non-covid) conditions since Detroit across the river. I think I'm ok with the old one, it's not wobbling now, but I'll keep u-pulls in mind next time I'm on the 401 or around GTA

·
Registered
347 Posts
View attachment 161342
I got the gear - haha - unfortunately u-pulls are limited around here, just a couple to plunder from. Things would be different under normal (non-covid) conditions since Detroit across the river. I think I'm ok with the old one, it's not wobbling now, but I'll keep u-pulls in mind next time I'm on the 401 or around GTA
I will probably get the Ridgid high torque one day if I can get a good deal on it. Currently, I have Ridgid Mid torque which will do 650ft lb which should be good for almost everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts