Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BadAngler,

Removing the headliner was not extremely difficult, but it did take quite some time.

In order to pull down the headliner, I suggest that you follow the instructions in the Helm manual. An alternative is to download the “Honda IVES installation instructions” from the Handa-accessories.com website since they document some of the less obvious steps.

Sorry, but I posted all of the pictures that I have in ofoto.com directory that is referenced in my message on 2/16/02.

It was really easy to reinstall the headliner since everything lined right up when I put it back in the van.

Feel free to ask any specific questions that you may have.

Oh, by the way, my wife did insist that I did this while she was away since she could'nt stand to see me take our new van apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks DAL for all your hardwork

I just ordered a similar system from Myles at mobileexcitement.com for my 2002 EX-L.

I spoke with him yesterday based upon your review and satisifcation. I did some ICON-TV research and found they just introuduced a 9in widescreen version of your 7in. Myles did some research and found that it's the same quality as your 7 in, just 2 in larger.

He made me a great deal so I ordered the 9in widescreen and the ICON DVD player. The 9 in also has the transmitter for wireless headphones, but actually comes with the two headphones.). I even got a free RF transmitter and free shipping. After my conversation, he put the 9in widescreen on his site for all to see.

I'm going to try and complete the similar install the DAL has described. If there's interest, I'll post my findings and problems, as I don't think I'm as technically competent as DAL.

BTW, Dal, I'm sure I'll be in touch with you with problems/questions if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Install notes for my ICON-TV 7" widescreen DVD system (long)

DAL said:
In order to pull down the headliner, I suggest that you follow the instructions in the Helm manual. An alternative is to download the “Honda IVES installation instructions” from the
[This message has been edited by DAL (edited 02-16-2002).]
Hi Dal,

Great job!
I am condsidering trying this, but I have a question.
I see the Helm website has a few different manuals. Which Helm manual gives info about removing the headliner? The service manual?:confused:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: Re: Install notes for my ICON-TV 7" widescreen DVD system (long)

Junbug said:
Hi Dal,

Great job!
I am condsidering trying this, but I have a question.
I see the Helm website has a few different manuals. Which Helm manual gives info about removing the headliner? The service manual?:confused:
Service Manuals (for removing and maintain your Ody) and ETM (ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL) if you know how to read smiple electrical schematic(follow lines) and circuit diagram(best EMT i seen yet). EMT also shows you where everything is in your Ody (real pic's) of every electical parts. Get both, its well worth it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
DAL & tskeeno,

You have piqued my interest... I like the idea of a reasonably priced NINE INCH WIDESCREEN monitor :D .... but I was wondering if the system you guys are talking about is able to be connected to a Playstation 2 and/or a NAV system like the Kenwood 911 system can be.

Also, what do you estimate professional instalation would cost (I can't even identify a screwdriver! :dunno: )

Thanks and thanks DAL for tipping me off to Myles at mobileexcitement.com !!!

GT

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm not sure about the NAV part of your message, but you can hook up a PS-2 or any other type of video source that uses an RCA plug output. The monitor includes an input box with 2 connectors (i.e. 1 for the DVD player and 1 for the PS-2). For convenience, when I had the headliner down, I ran an RCA cord from under the passenger front seat (where the DVD player and video input connectors are located) across the roof and had it exit in the back corner of the van.

Since I don't ever plan to permanently install a PS-2, this extra cord will allow me to secure the PS-2 in the cargo area and access the rear cigarette lighter for power.

I'd guess that installation would run $200-300 - assuming they don't pull down the headliner. They would use the mounting plate method of install, most likely. You can just call around to some local car stewreo places and ask for an estimate.

I wish they had the 9-inch available when I bought my system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just received the 9in the mail today. Before arrival, I got a call from Myles who stated the unit was actually black in color, and not grey like the 7 in.
Sure enough, it's black. Not bad though and I think I will keep it since there is so much other black in the van (i.e. dashboard)

Slight problem though, I don't think it installs like the 7in.
It's hard to explain, but the trim ring around the monitor is very weird. When you hold it up to the roof, there is a 1/2 to 3/4 in gap between the ring and the ceiling. This is caused by a "bump-out" (for the lack of better term) in the ring, that insets about 1 in all the way around the trim ring, as if the trim ring has two levels. Best I can figure is that this "inner" level is the shape of template that must be cut in the headliner, and then the trim ring will then fit into the opening, with the "inner" portion recessed into the headliner. I can't think of any other way, becuase a board mount described by DAL would not work becuase of this gap.

Any suggestions or has anyone seen a mounting configuration like this?

the trim ring is approx 1/2 to 3/4 in

·
Registered
153 Posts
tskeeno,

By chance, can you provide pictures of what you are describing? It would make it easier to try and think of a solution.

Thanks,
GT

·
Registered
129 Posts
tskeeno,
Any update on the 9" screen installation. I am curious as to whether you were able to mount it flush.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
ICON install instead of stock

My dealer is willing to install an ICON DVD system in an Od. EX-L to avoid my waiting 6-8 weeks for an Evergreen (wife likes tan interior) EX-L RES. No difference in price ($900 above sticker). IS THIS A GOOD DEAL. Can I have same system installed by legitimate shop for less. I have previously installed audio sys in my older cars but am not confident enough to tackle this myself. Any info helpful. Thanks.

Farid:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Re: ICON install instead of stock

Farid said:
My dealer is willing to install an ICON DVD system in an Od. EX-L to avoid my waiting 6-8 weeks for an Evergreen (wife likes tan interior) EX-L RES. No difference in price ($900 above sticker). IS THIS A GOOD DEAL. Can I have same system installed by legitimate shop for less. I have previously installed audio sys in my older cars but am not confident enough to tackle this myself. Any info helpful. Thanks.

Farid:confused:
Hi Farid,
Are you saying you are getting your van at MSRP, with the DVD system adding $900 to the cost? What size screen is it and which DVD player are they installing?
Assuming 7" widescreen, underseat DVD, FM modulator, headphones, etc...
IIRC, you're looking at roughly $600-$650 for components alone, and another $200-$250 for install. Looks like you are in the ballpark, depending on how good the install is and how much you want to squeeze..
Keep in mind however that the factory RES will provide ALOT more flexiblity with dual zone operation, addition of tape player, perfect integration into the vehicle, etc... But it does add alot to the sticker price... You can get all the features in an aftermarket system, but you'll have to spend alot more than $900 to get it.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
9 in Icon

Sorry I havn't gotten back.
The 9 In icon is installed. I'll take pictures soon and post.
My Thoughts:

Disadvantages:

The 9 in ICON is a totally different mount than the 7 in. To install flush, you must cut a very large hole in the headliner, which allows for the "trim" ring to mount partially up inside the headliner. This created no problems, but does require the hole that some are not willing to do. I figured I'm keeping the van for a while, and when I sell, the unit will go with it since I'm sure technology will have something better and cheaper by then.
I heard no difference in road or air noise with the unit installed.

The second major difference is that the overall appearnce of the unit is not as clean looking as the 7 in that DAL installed. Including the color which is black. After contemplating much, I decided that the black didn't bother me as much, and since there is so much other black (dash) in the interior, the black blends fine with the gray interior. There are some goofy looking air holes in the back of the monitor, but again, dosne't bother me much since it is installed.

Advantages:

After the above complaints concerning the differece in mounting the 9 in widescreen, the one advantage is the ultra slim profile created by the monitor. When intsalled, tHe whole unit is less than 3/4 in thick, which makes for a very unobtursive unit hanging from your ceiling. I've never seen any monitor close to this small, which is why I think its black color looks fine and why I wasn't concerned with cutting such a large hole. It's all about trade-offs.

Second advantage - 9 in widescreen, something you can't get from the stock Honda system, and at this time, your not going to find any other 9 in widescreens. Since I coulnd't get the stock system, I wanted something that it didn't offer. THe kids in the car that is following my Odyssey will be happy in a traffic jam because they to can watch Elmo. IMO, the difference in screen size from a 7 in to 9 in is well worth the added money and the different look. And the picture quality is all that DAL described in his original post, simply great.

Parting comment:

The install was pretty easy, and I think that any "handy" person can do this. I didn't need to remove the headliner since the large hole was cut for the install. I used the instructions for installing the IVES system that I downloaded from the web. It's step by step and tells you everything you need to know. It's even free!

I'll try and post some pictures when I can.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ICON 9" Screen

tskeeno,

Thanks for your initial thoughts on the 9" ICON monitor. Your comments are insightful and will help in the future.

Question:
What DVD player are you using and where do you have that mounted?

What additional components (if any) do you have connected to the system (VHS player, TV tuner, NAV system)?

I am interested in putting together a system that will have a monitor for the front passenger (and driver), the 9" (overhead ICON monitor) for the rear passengers, and the ability to include a navigation system and TV tuner.

Is your system able to incorporate these?

Thanks,
GT

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Re: 9 in Icon

tskeeno said:
Sorry I havn't gotten back.
The 9 In icon is installed. I'll take pictures soon and post.
Sweet! Congrats on your install. Looking forward to seeing some pics!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try this for some pictures.
Excuse the quality, a photographer I'm not. The couple of picutres that are taken with the screen down and playing are not a fair representation of the quality of the picutre, it's just my bad picture taking.

http://www.geocities.com/tskeeno/install.html

Greentiger, here's a shot at your questions

About the DVD player.

I bought the ICON DVD-168, which I think is the same that DAL used in his install. It's pretty small and fits nicley under the front seat. I didn't even use the mounting brackets that came with it. I used velcro on the bottom and just layed it on the floor. This method has advantages and also disadvantages, but for me it was quick and it has presented no problems (skiping) and was easy to install.

One nice thing about the player is that it does have a nice wireless remote, and also has a wired remote eye that can be mounted elsewhere in the car. I mounted it toward the bottom of the passenger seat and facing the rear. This allows for the remote to be used while in the back seat, and the remote eye is not visible. The remote also works fine from the front seat.

Also nice is that the L&R audio out from the DVD player is a variable out. Since I have the L&R audio running into the RF transmitter (came with the entire set up) that is mounted under the dash, the volume up/down and mute button on the remote will actually control the sound coming from the radio. Nice feature that the back seat operator can control volume and mute (of course, this is somewhat limited by what volume the radio is set at in the front)

Ability to build on or add?

Navigation?

Beat's me. I know nothing about the Navigation angle.

TV?

Certainly. ICON offer's a TV-tuner that can be added, and they even offer a DVD player with it built in tuner.

Extra Monitor? (and other stuff)

Sure. What's different about the 9 in (I think) rather than the 7 in is this. Coming off the monitor you have the power wires for the unit, power wires for the dome lights, and a short cable with a 16 pin connector. Included with the monitor is an approximatley 15 ft. cable that has the 16 pin connector on each end. One end of course goes into the cable at the monitor, and the other end plugs into a junction box (for lack of a better term). I have this also under the front passenger seat. This jucntion box has two video ins (input 1 and Input 2), with two corresponding L&R Audio ins. I have the DVD player going into Input 1 , and vidoe 2 (input 2) is open for later expasion (playstation, vhs, or I would guess Navigation if you want it). Video (or input) 1&2 is swithable from buttons on the monitor or via remote.

Also coming from the juction box is a video out and L/R audio out.
My audio is set up like this. Audio leaves DVD player via L&R audio outs and runs into the L&R audio inputs for Input 1. Then L/R audio output is ran to the RF transmitter in the dash. This allows for the audio to be switchable from input 1 or input 2.
This leaves the video out unused. It could be used to hook up an additional monitor if you desire.

Lastly,

I forgot to mention that the unit also has infared trasmitters at the bottom of the screen (audio is sent to the monitor via the 16 pin cable). I included a pitcure of the wireless headphones (2 of them) that came with the entrie purchse. They actually are pretty nice. They run off two AAA batteris. The have on/off switch as well as volume control. The power is also activated by a pressure switch in one earpiece. When the headphones are on your head, you have power, but when removed and there is no pressure on the earpiece, the headpohones turn off to save battery.

Sorry to be so long winded. Hoped I helped someone. I took the lead from DAL and I appreciate his effort. He even called me to answer some questions. (Thanks DAL, hope you get the widescreen for the house next!!)

If anyone needs clarrification or better pictures, just let me know.
Tim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tskeeno, Great install, your pictures left me drooling. I am impressed by now slim the screen appears when folded, and the black doesn't look bad at all, rather I like it.

Gotta couple of questions..

1. Now that its all done, how is the visibility out back?

2. Do you foresee any problems with the exposed screen (when folded) such as dust, damage etc.

3. I am not sure if you have any little ones, but I am wondering how much 2nd row passangers have to bend their head backward to look up to the screen. I am sure the view is great for the rear passangers.

Depending on the size of the mid-year bonus check, I maybe contacting you for further help.

Thanks once again for sharing your pictures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sgoyal,

1) Visibilty out the back is fine. I can't even see the screen in the rearview mirror when it is down. The design of the 9 in is such that there is no "arm" that swings down with the monitor attached to it. The top of the screen is where it pivits, which keeps the whole screen closer to the roof. My guess is the ICON 9 in comes down or obstructs less than most 7 in widescreens. And you are right, its amazingly slim and the pictures don't do justice. As I said, It's probably not the nicest looking unit (exterior) on the market, but the slim design, great picture, and 9IN made it for me.

2) Not really sure what you mean by exposed screen while it's folded. If you mean when it's off and stored, then I would say no. My guess is nothing (dirt,dust) would get to it then since nothing is exposed. You can see in my pictures (the one where I was on the floor and looked up) that there are some air vents on the back side, but the screen is not exposed and I can't imagine anything being able to get inside. If you mean when it's open, the only danger is my 3 year old's grabby hands. We've already had the talk.

3) As for kids, I have the 3yr old and a 18 month old, both sitting in car seats in the 2nd row. When open, the screen goes well past 90 degrees. The manual says it goes 110, but it certainly seems more than that. Anyway, when opened to it's fullest, the screen points downward towards the 2nd row seat so the kids are looking directly at the screen, without bending their heads at all. In fact, I don't even open the sceen all the way because it is too far past 90 degrees. The 3rd seat passengers see great no matter screen position.

Hope this helps. If you get the nerve and the bonus check, I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have or post different pictures if you need to see the acutal mount. Four screws and its down.

·
Registered
153 Posts
tskeeno,

Thanks for the "winded" reply! In fact, I appreciated every little detail you have included! Dang... I' really starting to drool! But as far as technical abilities are concerned, how difficult would you say it was to install? Did it take you long? If you don't mind my asking (or if youwant to send me an email directly, please do), but what exactly did your "package" include and about how much did it set you back?

That 9" sure does look nice...

When I was driving around the San Francisco Bay Area thislast weekend, I saw a minivan with an overhead monitor. It must have been around 6" or so. Even from my vantage point (the car right behind him!) I could see a decent picture. I could imagine having a screen 3" bigger and a widescreen at that!

sgoyal,

Are you also thinking of purchasing a similar set up? Maybe if we call Myles and ordered our stuff together, we could get a small discount? I would be appy to do the phone work if you are interested. Let me know!

GT

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thanks for all the info and details tskeeno!

Your info on the 9" widescreen along with others info on the icon 7" widescreen convinced me to order the 9" as it is now available.

For those wanting to order one the part number is F90WIR and it is made by icon-tv. The guy I ordered from said the screens are not even making it off the boat from overseas to the icon warehouse they are selling so fast. The are being dropped shipped in cases of 50 directly from the boat to the distributors. Sounds and looks like they have a great product.

I talked to Icon-TV directly and found a storefront dealer in the Houston area called Executive Motoring Boutique (ask for Steve). They quoted $800 for the F90WIR which comes with two headphones as described by others in earlier posts. I forgot to ask if sales tax would be charged. Over the past several years, some Texas merchants have been charging this Oklahoman sales tax so be sure to ask first before ordering.

I also talked to Myles at mobileexcitement.com and he quoted $850 for the F90WIR including the headphones w/no sales tax.

I ultimately ordered from a Stephen Tidwell at www.speakersupply.com as he is the one that first told me of Icon-TV and how good they were since he saw them at CES 2002. He was able to secure one for me at $825 (no tax). He is also supplying the Audiovox DVD-3200 at $350 and front door speakers. I've ordered from Stephen off and on since 1993 so I preferred going through him. His main line of product is raw drivers and speaker repair but can get almost anything related to audio/video. He quit selling Alpine several years ago so I was unable to order my preferred head unit from him.

So there are at least three sources for the Icon-TV product that I know of.
www.mobileexcitement.com (Myles)
Executive Motoring Boutique at 713-467-7000 (steve)
www.speakersupply.com (Stephen...call or email)

P.S.
Local shops in my area have never heard of Icon and don't even seem interested to learn about them. For the money, $800 to $850 is a great deal for 9" widescreen and headphones. CarToys in my area tried to talk me out of icon and going with their MovieVision 10" screen (only) for $1200 to which I said "No thank you." Headphones would have been another $160. Tax would have added another $100.

I also plan to paint the black trim ring to match the tan plastic in the rest of the van, if the trim ring is removable and can be readily painted. Otherwise, I'll live with black. Another possibility would be to have an interior shop put some leather/vinyl trim on the trim part.

Can't wait to get one in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greentiger

Technical difficulty is moderate at best. While handy around the house, I’ve attempted very little in the car. I followed the IVES instructions (downloaded from Internet) for lowering part of the headliner and no HELMS manual was needed.
I found the instructions were dead on and easy to follow. I really think that anyone can do this with a little patience, nerves, and help from a forum such as this.

I spent an entire day for the install (9am – 9pm). Much of the time was spent second guessing myself and wondering if I was screwing something up. If I had to do over again, my guess is I could easily do it in 4-6 hours complete. I did take extra time to make sure everything was nice and neat, as well as solder all connections and heat shrink for protection.

I paid $1,100 (no tax and shipping) for everything from Myles. (850 was the monitor) This included the ICON 9 in windscreen with IR transmitter built in, two ICON wireless headphones, and an ICON RF modulator. All cables were included, although I used my own short audio cable (1ft) to run the audio from the DVD to the junction box that I previously discussed. The junction box and DVD player are beside each other, and the provided audio cable was way too long.

The only thing I bought extra was:
1) A few 3M scotch locks to tap into the wires for the dome light (RadioShack) (see Dal’s install notes) This keeps you from cutting factory wire.
2) About 25’ of extra red and 25’ black power wire for hot and ground connections.
3) 2 mini add-a fuses that Dal also talked about in his install notes. This is the easiest way to tap power in the fuse box. There are three power connections needed, one for the DVD player, one for the monitor, and one for the RF modulator. (monitor and DVD on same fuse) I didn’t use an ACC circuit for the monitor/DVD, so the player and monitor can work with the car off. I could change this, put I left constant power to the DVD so that when I hit stop on the player and kill the power, the unit still draws minimal power so the memory will work to start the DVD at the same place. The monitor turns off automatically when closed. (that is if you believe that the light goes off in the refrigerator when you close the door)
4) a few sheet metal screws to mount the mounting bracket to the roof support. I don’t recall the size. Just buy several lengths and don’t use the long ones. If you want/need pictures of how I did this, let me know.
5) 6, tall, cold, Fosters for enjoyment near the end of the project.

rlpenny

As far as trim ring goes, it certainly could be painted to any color that you want. However, since the entire monitor is black, I thought it may look strange to have the trim one color and the monitor itself black. You would have a two tone look no matter if the monitor is up or down. Personal preference though.

As far as where to order, I think everyone will be in the ball park of 800-900. It comes down to matter of customer service and comfort level. Hope your install goes well.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts