Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed, in my 2011 EX-L that there seems to be a "pop-out" area for rear seat sun shade installation. After doing some research it looks like this was an option in earlier models but I cant find anything about the possibility of installing them in the new model.

Does anyone know the answer? I asked my salesman when i bought it and he was clueless....

·
Registered
687 Posts
Based on hiw complicated it looks to take apart the 3rd row side lining and add the sunshade, I'm thinking a stick on version is cheaper and more efficient but certainly does not look as nice.

:huh:

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It doesn't have grips that clip to the window itself. It has a clip with a sticky-back to it that is installed at the top of the window. I'm telling you, this will work perfectly. I have it in my CR-V and it's the best shade I've seen out there and it looks very professional.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ust looked at an Exl today, and the salesman pointed out that there were 3rd row some sort of thing on the window. I didn't pay too mucha ttention but that must be what he meant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excuse me, Big Boat, I joined this forum to learn about the Odessy. I'm considering buying one and I want to know all the pro's and cons. I don't SPAM.

I'm looking for a new vehicle, and want to know all the good, bad and ugly before I make a final decison to pay our $40-50K. If You consider that spam than you need to get a new life

Diane

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Excuse me, Big Boat, I joined this forum to learn about the Odessy. I'm considering buying one and I want to know all the pro's and cons. I don't SPAM.

I'm looking for a new vehicle, and want to know all the good, bad and ugly before I make a final decison to pay our $40-50K. If You consider that spam than you need to get a new life

Diane
Allright, fair enough, no need to get pissed-off on your first day as a member. Good luck with your car shopping and post some pics when you purchase one. Either that or a Pilot, correct? And test-drive an Odyssey, your last post didn't make sense (spelling perhaps?)

(As a tip you may want to improve that signature so you can attract more potential customers to your card business)

·
Registered
301 Posts
It doesn't have grips that clip to the window itself. It has a clip with a sticky-back to it that is installed at the top of the window. I'm telling you, this will work perfectly. I have it in my CR-V and it's the best shade I've seen out there and it looks very professional.
I did not read that, I though I read in the description that it has clips that go over the window edge so that it can roll up and own with the window. But if you can attach to window that doesn't move they do look pretty good. I just have a problem with it not matching the second row sunshade. I have OCD.

I really want to install the OEM third row sunshades, love them in the second row for my daughter and passengers. I am going to have to go look at a Touring to see if it is indeed the same trim piece with just the area that looks like it can pop off removed.

If I ever tackle this project I would probably add speakers to the third row as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Diane
Welcome to the fourm and you have every right to learn all you can from it free of charge and with no strings attached. In that same vein I would suggest using something other than an advert for your business in your signature line.

Good luck in your search,

JD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Firefighter who helped teach us proper car seat installation said he NEVER recommends anything on the windows - in an accident, they become projectiles. Do you want a missile pointed at your child in the event of an accident?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Firefighter who helped teach us proper car seat installation said he NEVER recommends anything on the windows - in an accident, they become projectiles. Do you want a missile pointed at your child in the event of an accident?
They say this, but IMO you need to consider the actual potential damage of the potential projectile in question (2 ounces? How much damage will it do? And the flat stick on ones, no-rolling, weigh nothing so can't hurt) ... this advice also presupposes you have no other crap floating around in your car which might become a projectile in a crash. I know in the ideal world you wouldn't - but in reality, people with kids are going to have crap in their cars. I consider myself to have above average intelligence when it comes to child safety seats but my car will never be pristine and free of any and all potential projectiles. Maybe when the kids are grown.

Not saying this is OK, just saying the "it could become a projectile" advice about sun shades seems sound but doesn't play out well in the real world. If you want to play it safe the flat stick on ones are safe but also are either on, or laying on the floor out of reach, gathering dust and losing stickiness.

We just got the EX-L with the shades in the middle row and of course my 2 girls who sit in the back row are annoyed that they don't have them. I don't feel like the glass of the Honda blocks the sun as well as the glass of my old Sienna so I would like to come up with a fix. A fix other than sunglasses which, unless I tie them to the car, will be left at home and complained about, loudly, 60 miles from home.

Has anyone tried to actually pop those back row things out, where a roll-up shade would be if you sprung for the touring?

I have a few ideas brewing for a fairly cheap and attractive retrofit that is easy for kids to use - kids who are old enough to understand the point vs. rip it off and then yell about it while you're driving down the freeway and can't do anything about it. Wondering if I could make something that may not retract but at least slides in and out out of sight. I don't want to go mutilating the car, though. Anyone try to pop those babies out?

Also - I know this is an old thread but no one can tell me to use the search function this way. :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
You can tint your 3rd row window 5% so no more issues of projectile objects.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sounds like no one had done this project and I've been looking to do this also.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can tint your 3rd row window 5% so no more issues of projectile objects.
I will look into that.

I don't know how my girls will feel though when their brother has something that pulls up and down and I say "your windows are 5% darker." plus there's the whole joy in ghetto rigging...

but it is a thought

·
Registered
489 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts