Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a 10.1" Android in my 2007 Odyssey EX-L. I have upgraded also other vehicles with these amazing radio. Not only does these radios GPS, DVD, BlueTooth for music and phone calls, pre-audio and video outputs & inputs, but it is also an Android tablet which let you go to the Android apps store to download whatever apps you want. I have downloaded another GPS called WAZE, as well as another Offline GPS. And for my music, I have downloaded Spotify. Most these radios are available online thru EBAY, AliExpress, and sometimes directly from the manufacturer. I found my radio on EBAY by searching for "10.1 Android Radio". There are many android radios and like any Android tablet not all of them are the same. You most take careful note of several very important items when you make your purchace: 1) What Android operating system the radio is on. Please purchase 6.0 and above. Note only is operating system more stable but faster because 6.0 and above is a 64 bit processor vs. a 32 bit processor. 2) The amount of memory it comes with try to get 2G Ram with 32 G of storage. 3) The processor chip that it is using some are Dual-Core, some are Quad-Core, and some are Octo-Core. Needless to say Octo-Core is faster. I have experience all three. My biggest mistake was purchasing a Dual-Core, with 1G Ram, and a 5.1 Android operating system. So I have a radio for sale now.

As most people who has replaced their radios with an aftermarket radio one of the issue is giving up the use of your steering wheel controls. The good news is most of these Android radios has steering wheel control readers and the software for you be able program how the radio is to respond to each of the steering wheel control buttons. The trick is to find which wire on the factory wiring harness are the steering wheel control wires. I tried search every Youtube video and Googled every document on steering wheel control wiring I could locate, and I finally found the website from Metra Can Bus Interface. Metra specialize in aftermarket wiring harnesses, mounting kits, and Can Bus Interface (steering wheel control readers), and on their Can Bus Interface wiring reference site AXXESSINTERFACES.COM show the 2007 Odyssey's steering wheel control wires are pin 3 and pin 11. Pin 3 is the positive that goes to the Android radio's "Key 2" wire and pin 11 is the negative that either goes to chassis ground or to "ground" (Not the radio's ground but the additional ground off of the radio's wiring harness. You will find it from the remaining wires that are Key 1, Key 2, and ground that are not connected). So this result in my aftermarket android radio to work with the steering wheel controls. SmileSmileThumbs up

After all this success there is one unfortunate item I could not fix and that is to get the 10.1" screen to flip down for me to access the DVD player. And this due the mounting kit which is recessed, and the way the screen is hinged the bottom of the screen hits the mount of the mount. It was not a complete lost because do have a DVD player that I had installed years ago and the I just needed to connect the audio outputs from the DVD player to the new radio. However, I believe I could also plug in a USB DVD player to the one of two USB cables that is connected to this Android radio. I know for a fact that these USB cable will connect to you Android phone for mirroring, and also to a USB drive for music. I have not yet test it for a USB DVD player.

Note that if you have a vehicle that is more popular like a Civic or an Accord there are plug-n-play Android radios that are don't require mounting kits and wiring harnesses. All you need to do is to remove your old OEM radio and use the factory wiring harnesses and just plug them into your new Android radio and you are ready to Rock-n-Road. And yes, your steering controls will also work.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quality looks nice but screen is HUGE...not very conspicuous. I'd be afraid of thieves and police attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is big and it is great when you are using the GPS feature.

Yes I am a little worry about thieves so if I park in a bad neighborhood I would cover it with a towel. The other item is that most of the new cars today (Honda, Acura, Audi, Merc, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda...) use a tablet style radio, so for people who are not familiar with every feature and looks of the Honda Odyssey they may thing this is the OEM radio like that if 2018 Honda Odyssey which has the tablet style radio that looks just like what I have in my 2007 Odyssey.

On the other hand if you are not comfortable with the larger display there are standard double din Android radios that has the same features and function as my radio but in a standard double size. I have that install in my 2005 Acura MDX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

It was a lot of work because the mount kit's upper lip did not fit were and I had to do more cutting. I which there was a plug-n-play unit like that I had installed in my 2007 VW GLI and my 2012 Honda Civic. No cutting, no re-wiring, no need to get a cam-bus reader. Just move the old and plug in the new. Those radios a little more money but the time savings of the install and know they work perfectly with your steering wheel controls like the OEM radio is worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the part number for the radio you installed?
You will find this radio on EBAY by search either for "ICE/HU/TB103AP" or
10.1" 2 Din Android 6.0 Car DVD Stereo Radio GPS OBD2 32GB+2G RAM Octa-Core WiFi

The ladder will give you a larger selection of other radios. My radio is by XTRONS. Note: Due to the mounting kit for my 2007 Odyssey, it will not let me flip the screen down for me to use the DVD drive behind the screen. This radio does have 2 USB cable that you could run down and attach a portable PC type USB DVD player and it such work. There are this type of radio without the DVD player and they are less money. Just remember to think of this radio like a smart phone or a tablet, whereby the more powerful processor, and more RAM (2G) the better. And don't buy an Android radio with an operating system below 6.0. I had made a mistake by buying a cheaper android radio with an operating system of 5.1 and 1G RAM, which worked but it eventually had memory issues due to my kid downloading to many apps. So try to get the radio with 2G RAM and the operating system of 6.0 and above.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Meh... waze is amusing but kinda silly and on the decline in my area. I get the best traffic info by using google maps in directions mode.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Love new gadgets in old cars...It kind of bring the car back to the Future. Will like to see more pictures. Looks like the new mazda 3 screen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed a 10.1" Android in my 2007 Odyssey EX-L. I have upgraded also other vehicles with these amazing radio. Not only does these radios GPS, DVD, BlueTooth for music and phone calls, pre-audio and video outputs & inputs, but it is also an Android tablet which let you go to the Android apps store to download whatever apps you want. I have downloaded another GPS called WAZE, as well as another Offline GPS. And for my music, I have downloaded Spotify. Most these radios are available online thru EBAY, AliExpress, and sometimes directly from the manufacturer. I found my radio on EBAY by searching for "10.1 Android Radio". There are many android radios and like any Android tablet not all of them are the same. You most take careful note of several very important items when you make your purchace: 1) What Android operating system the radio is on. Please purchase 6.0 and above. Note only is operating system more stable but faster because 6.0 and above is a 64 bit processor vs. a 32 bit processor. 2) The amount of memory it comes with try to get 2G Ram with 32 G of storage. 3) The processor chip that it is using some are Dual-Core, some are Quad-Core, and some are Octo-Core. Needless to say Octo-Core is faster. I have experience all three. My biggest mistake was purchasing a Dual-Core, with 1G Ram, and a 5.1 Android operating system. So I have a radio for sale now.

As most people who has replaced their radios with an aftermarket radio one of the issue is giving up the use of your steering wheel controls. The good news is most of these Android radios has steering wheel control readers and the software for you be able program how the radio is to respond to each of the steering wheel control buttons. The trick is to find which wire on the factory wiring harness are the steering wheel control wires. I tried search every Youtube video and Googled every document on steering wheel control wiring I could locate, and I finally found the website from Metra Can Bus Interface. Metra specialize in aftermarket wiring harnesses, mounting kits, and Can Bus Interface (steering wheel control readers), and on their Can Bus Interface wiring reference site AXXESSINTERFACES.COM show the 2007 Odyssey's steering wheel control wires are pin 3 and pin 11. Pin 3 is the positive that goes to the Android radio's "Key 2" wire and pin 11 is the negative that either goes to chassis ground or to "ground" (Not the radio's ground but the additional ground off of the radio's wiring harness. You will find it from the remaining wires that are Key 1, Key 2, and ground that are not connected). So this result in my aftermarket android radio to work with the steering wheel controls. SmileSmileThumbs up

After all this success there is one unfortunate item I could not fix and that is to get the 10.1" screen to flip down for me to access the DVD player. And this due the mounting kit which is recessed, and the way the screen is hinged the bottom of the screen hits the mount of the mount. It was not a complete lost because do have a DVD player that I had installed years ago and the I just needed to connect the audio outputs from the DVD player to the new radio. However, I believe I could also plug in a USB DVD player to the one of two USB cables that is connected to this Android radio. I know for a fact that these USB cable will connect to you Android phone for mirroring, and also to a USB drive for music. I have not yet test it for a USB DVD player.

Note that if you have a vehicle that is more popular like a Civic or an Accord there are plug-n-play Android radios that are don't require mounting kits and wiring harnesses. All you need to do is to remove your old OEM radio and use the factory wiring harnesses and just plug them into your new Android radio and you are ready to Rock-n-Road. And yes, your steering controls will also work.

Do you know what wiring harness you used? I ordered this unit and was sent a wiring harness for Honda but they don't match. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I plan on installing something Similar inside my 2007 EX-L Model as well. Just had a couple questions.

1. Are you still able to use cruise control?
2. Can you remap the voice button on the steering wheel, or will that activate the cars voice assistant still?
3. How was wiring the USB Port, do you think its possible to wire the usb-port through the pull out cup holders?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi, I plan on installing something Similar inside my 2007 EX-L Model as well. Just had a couple questions.

1. Are you still able to use cruise control?
2. Can you remap the voice button on the steering wheel, or will that activate the cars voice assistant still?
3. How was wiring the USB Port, do you think its possible to wire the usb-port through the pull out cup holders?
1. Yes, cruise control doesn't go thru the head unit.
2. According to some videos on YouTube that I have watched, buttons can be configured for audio.
3. I believe it can be done as long you have enough cable to leave and allow the cup holder to extend. I have seen people that put it inside the glove compartment.

·
Registered
779 Posts
1. Yes, cruise control doesn't go thru the head unit.
2. According to some videos on YouTube that I have watched, buttons can be configured for audio. Keep in mind that voice commands goes out of the window, if you change the head unit.
3. I believe it can be done as long you have enough cable to leave and allow the cup holder to extend. I have seen people that put it inside the glove compartment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, another question,

1. We're you able to get the rear back up camera to work.

2. Can you hook up a game console to the tablet?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi, another question,

1. We're you able to get the rear back up camera to work.

2. Can you hook up a game console to the tablet?
No to the tablet, but you can to the rear entertainment system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What wiring harness did you use? Which cable did you connect the harness to? I bought one off of Amazon from Scosche. It fits for the most part, but 2 pins on the harness (The antenna and 12v ingintion) don't connect to the OEM. (See attached, its the 2 pins on the left)

·
Registered
6 Posts
What wiring harness did you use? Which cable did you connect the harness to? I bought one off of Amazon from Scosche. It fits for the most part, but 2 pins on the harness (The antenna and 12v ingintion) don't connect to the OEM. (See attached, its the 2 pins on the left) View attachment 156554 View attachment 156555
I see what I did wrong. The Harness I got is for the radio on the bottom, not for the Navigation Unit/CD Player up top. Do you have the link for the harness you used? Or did you skip on the harness? Please let me know soon, Thanks!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts