Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I installed a Hidden Hitch Class III Receiver Hitch (Part# 70737) that I purchased from etrailer.com ($99.95 plus $20 shipping) and Honda's air deflector that I purchased from hondapartsforyou.com ($132.56 delivered) on my 2001 GG EX.

First I installed the hitch. It was very easy to install. It took me all of about 20 minutes. I probably didn't have to but I jacked the back of the van up and put it on jack stands. That gave me plenty of room to work. First I checked that all of he threaded bolt holes where free from dirt and threaded a bolt into one just to be sure they were the correct size (all good). I loosened the muffler/tailpipe from the chassis by pulling the two rubber hangers from the posts on the frame (instructions said to only remove the rearmost hanger but I removed the next one just to get a little more play). It took a little force but it wasn't too bad. The next part was the hardest and really requires two people (unless you're extra resourceful) so I borrowed a few minutes of my wife's time. I used my floor jack to lift the center portion of hitch up as high as I could just to make it easier to hold up then I had my wife push up one side of the hitch while I worked the passenger side of the hitch around the tailpipe and started one of the bolts. I didn't need any special tools (except maybe the torque wrench), just a ratchet with a 6" extension and an 18mm socket(instructions say 19mm). I only threaded in the center bolt on the passenger side and quickly moved to the driver side to take over for my wife (this thing weighs in at about 47lbs). I threaded in all 3 bolts on the driver side and finger tightened. I threaded in the rest of the bolts on the passenger side and tightened and torqued them to 64 ft/lbs (12mm bolts). Did the same on the driver side. I reattached the rubber hangers (the rearmost hanger is now attached to the rod that is welded onto the hitch assembly -- I had to bend the old rod back slightly to get the rubber hanger to slide on properly. All Done! I did not install a wiring harness since I only plan on using the hitch for a bike rack (etrailer sells a harness for $25).

Next..the air deflector. The deflector came with instructions plus they can be downloaded. I started by cleaning and waxing the hood(not in the instructions). I opened the hood and put the two plastic grommets in to the two outer square holes on the inside of the hood. I then used one of the provided alcohol pads to clean the front edge of the hood where the three prtective tapes will be attached. This was where I wasn't sure where the center tape would be applied. I saw another square hole that is slightly off center and even though I knew it wouldn't be used I wasn't sure it didn't indicate the location. I did some measuring of the holes in the deflector and they where dead center. So I applied the two outside protective tabs even with the grommets and the middle one directly over the point of the hood. I slid the two outside brackets under the rubber molding and installed the self-tapping screws (it was a tight fit and I had to start them at a slight angle to get them started). The center bracket seemed really loose and although it may be designed this way I used a pair of pliers to create a tighter fit. I closed the hood. I used a marker to put a small dot on the hood on each side 14mm from the front edge of the hood. I used another provided alcohol pad to clean the area where the side supports will attach. making sure that the arrows on each side support are pointing forward and to the outside I carefully installed each side support 14mm from the front of the hood.
The last step was to install the five screws that hold the air deflector in place. I installed the two outside screws first and that seemed to work pretty well. It took a little playing to get some of the inside screws started but it wasn't to bad. All done.

Next I have some Honda color matched door edge guards to install tonight.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do these mods. Good Luck.

------------------
BobbyC

'01 GG EX

·
Registered
59 Posts
BobbyC,

I also purchased the door edge guards but haven't taken the time to install them yet. I would love to hear about your experience installing them. One thing I was waiting on was the touch up paint. The instructions for the Accord edge guards says that after you trim the hem flange sealant you should apply touch up paint and let it dry. This makes me think that you might leave scratch marks during the trimming step that you might want to cover up before applying the edge guards.

Let me know.

-John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts