Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all the Ody experts out there. Reading from other posts, I see that the 1st gen Ody's 4-speed transm does not have the transm filter. So I can see why you would install a magnefine filter. However on the 2nd gen ody, which is what I have, do you really need to install the magnefine even though there is already a ATF filter that you can change out? I am getting ready to change out the ATF filter but I need to decide if the magnefine is really needed on a 2nd gen ody.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,831 Posts
Slight clarification: the 1st gen's did not originally have an external filter. But at some point it became standard procedure to install a Honda external filter when the AT is replaced.

I have both Magnefine and (^that) Honda filter on my '99. I have dissected both of them upon replacement. The Honda one is shorter and about half the diameter of the Magnefine, and is more of a fine mesh screen, whereas the Magnefine is more of a magnet+paper filter. I see them as complementary, so I have them both. Also, the Magnefine is WAY easier than the Honda one to replace. The Honda one is apparently supposed to be replaced only when the AT is replaced, which hopefully is less frequently than the Magnefine service interval.

The 2nd gen may be similar, I don't know.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree that the Magnefine is much easier to change out. Another filter certainly wouldn't hurt. You also have the magnetic drain bolt that captures some of the clutch debris. None of these filters is going to prevent the 3rd gear clutch pack from disintegrating and causing problems. $50 for a Tru-Cool ATF cooler may be money & time better spent, but no guarantees about that either.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,831 Posts
Talking about overkill, I actually also have a Honda ATF cooler (I went for the Honda one since I thought it might buy me some sympathy from Honda for the inevitable pleading for goodwill), drain+fill with 3qts Honda brand ATF (now the DW1 synthetic) every ~10k miles, and drive it very carefully, paying attention to TC-unlock and down shifts when driving up mountains. I try to slow down to keep the TC locked up, hopefully reducing heat generation.

So I do almost anything I think I can do to prolong the inevitable. I got about 90k out of the last AT, and will be happy to get close to that on #4 here. Of course there are countless people out there with 100k+ miles on the original ATF and no problems at all, so it is not clear what actually helps. All of these measures _should_ help though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts