Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have followed the threads on making DRL (Daytime Running Lights) work on our 05"s and decided to send an email to the folks at Hamsar.com, they supply kits for DRL for many manufacturers. From what I can figure out right now, an easy fix is not availiable without installing something aftermarket.

Here is the email that I got back from them:

Many of our U.S. customers do add DRL’s to their vehicles. I have attached a sample of the installation instructions for our 45020 DRL/Kit Low Beam Reduced for 2 – 4 headlamp systems. This is the recommended base kit for the Odyssey Model years 1995-1999. Optional are the 45030 and the 45070 –with photo sensor to turn headlamps to full power at dusk.

For the model years 2000-2003 the base kit is our 45065. No other kits are currently recommended.

The descriptions for all of these DRL kits are available on our website. www.hamsar.com

In order to determine the correct kit for your 2005 Odyssey, we would need a copy of the wiring diagram from dash to headlamps. If you have this available, please feel free to fax it to me at (905)332-9020.

Happy Holidays!
Christine

My question is, does any one have a manual with this complete wiring diagram? If so, can you supply it to me in a digital format such as a PDF or JPEG?

G

·
I am going to PM it to you. But it is not a "wiring diagram" but rather "circuit diagram" - this is the only one available in the service manual.

·
Registered
452 Posts
JJMAN said:
I have followed the threads on making DRL (Daytime Running Lights) work on our 05"s and decided to send an email to the folks at Hamsar.com, they supply kits for DRL for many manufacturers. From what I can figure out right now, an easy fix is not availiable without installing something aftermarket.

Here is the email that I got back from them:

Many of our U.S. customers do add DRL’s to their vehicles. I have attached a sample of the installation instructions for our 45020 DRL/Kit Low Beam Reduced for 2 – 4 headlamp systems. This is the recommended base kit for the Odyssey Model years 1995-1999. Optional are the 45030 and the 45070 –with photo sensor to turn headlamps to full power at dusk.

For the model years 2000-2003 the base kit is our 45065. No other kits are currently recommended.

The descriptions for all of these DRL kits are available on our website. www.hamsar.com

In order to determine the correct kit for your 2005 Odyssey, we would need a copy of the wiring diagram from dash to headlamps. If you have this available, please feel free to fax it to me at (905)332-9020.

Happy Holidays!
Christine

My question is, does any one have a manual with this complete wiring diagram? If so, can you supply it to me in a digital format such as a PDF or JPEG?
Let us know if you figured it out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here is the response I got back from Hamsar on there DRL modules after I sent them the wiring diagram Alex provided:

Hi Jay,

Electronics have come back and said that you have three options on DRL's.
The 45035 can be used for the high beam or the 45020 can be used for the low beam. Both units turn the headlamps on at a 24% reduction when the ignition is turned on and off when ignition is turned off.

Using the low beams you also have the option of using part # 45070 This DRL has the following features:

1) A photo sensor that turns your headlamps on to Full Power at dusk.

2) Includes a Time delay Switch plus Short Circuit, High Voltage & Temperature protection.

As mentioned below, any of these parts may be purchased through PUMA. If you have any questions please contact me.

Regards,

Dave Donaldson
Sales/Customer Service
Tel: 905 332 4094 Ext. 222
Fax: 905 332 9020
E-mail: [email protected]
HAMSAR DIVERSCO INC.

Sounds like model 45035 is the one for us if we want the DRL to work with the high beams. I still have a few questions though and was hoping for a more detailed response. But unfortunatly, I think this is the best I'm going to get from them until I just buy the module and and go from there.

The purchase information he referenced is below. Not sure how much it costs yet, but I'm soon to find out.

PUMA
30700 BAINBRIDGE ROAD, UNIT L
SOLON, OHIO, 44139 USA
FREE: 1-800-354-3552
Tel: 440-498-0638
Fax: 440-498-9647

G

·
JJ, you are da MAN !! Please keep us posted on the price etc. I, too, want to go for 45035 model (high beams), primarily for 2 reasons:

a) I have short-life-term silverstars on my low beams
b) I already have auto ON on my Touring.

I will check out their web site, too, once the kids are in bed.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If anyone follows through with this mod, please post details and pictures. I really like DRL's and would consider this upgrade.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the pricing:

We stock the Hamsar #45035--price is $42.23 each plus $7 shipping. Call to order
at 800-333-7862.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Paul Homitz
P.U.M.A.inc.
[email protected]

G

·
JJMAN said:
Here is the pricing:

We stock the Hamsar #45035--price is $42.23 each plus $7 shipping. Call to order
at 800-333-7862.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Paul Homitz
P.U.M.A.inc.
[email protected]
Not bad... Do they provide wiring/installation diagram for us to preview before we make the plunge ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, but its cheap enough that I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it and go from there. It probably has generic installation instructions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you think installing it would void our existing manufacturer warranty? I just called Honda and they refused to give me any information regarding DRL upgrade except reaffirming our van is not wired for it.

G

·
JJMAN said:
No, but its cheap enough that I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it and go from there. It probably has generic installation instructions.
Well, JJMAN, you then will be the first one :)

Let us know how easy/hard it is. If you can post/send us the wiring/installation diagrams, it would be even better ! And even better if you could post pics of your installation process (now I am pushing it... :) )

·
Registered
136 Posts
kendfw - I don't have the warranty language handy, but I would be willing to bet a lot of money that installing aftermarket DRLs would void the warranty (regular and extended) if they ever caused a problem [for example, if the DRL wiring (as opposed to the original, factory-installed wiring) shorted out and caused your Odyssey to catch fire]. If unrelated to some other problem, it would be a non-issue.

G

·
If and when installing it, I will make sure that I can remove it in a heartbeat and not leave any evidence behind :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
kendfw - One other thought. One possible way to get around warranty voidance might be if you had an authorized Honda dealer do the DRL installation (that is, assuming they can and would do it). Such an installation probably would not expose you to potential warranty problems.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.