Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can do a WHOLE lot more than what you described. I have a browser side loaded, YouTube, Skype, and a couple other .apks

Its not for the uninitiated, so please don’t ask me how. I will say that XDA has all you need to know on their site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can do a WHOLE lot more than what you described. I have a browser side loaded, YouTube, Skype, and a couple other .apks

Its not for the uninitiated, so please don’t ask me how. I will say that XDA has all you need to know on their site.
Some hints or relevant XDA threads would be super helpful. I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some hints or relevant XDA threads would be super helpful. I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel.
Same here. Just a link to a post that actually works would be great.

I just want to put Plex on it.

In the meantime, Walmart has the mi box s for $40 so I'm going to try it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All of the apps that I installed seemed to be automatically disabled while the van is in motion. The app icons on the main screen for the apps that I installed were greyed out if the van is being driven. I haven't tried launching an app and then driving to see if the app is still functional. One word of warning to anyone who experiments with this is do not allow any app you install to send/place something on the home screen. From the browser in the Fast app I tried to save a shortcut to the home screen and that is how the entire system got itself into an infinite loop of launching and crashing. I was able to fix it by using an ADB "pm" command to clear the launcher/home app user data.
I don't recall where I learned this, but there is a way to disable the "distracted driver" function allowing full functionality while in motion, in addition to many other diagnostic and firmware options which I haven't messed with so user beware! Turning off "Distracted Driver" will resets when the vehicle turns off and on again.

1. This worked with the Vehicle running. It can be moving or parked, but parked is usually safer.
  2. Press and Hold [HOME], [BRIGHTNESS] and [VOL] for about 3 seconds until you see the menu.
  3. A Dealer Diagnostics screen will pop up. Select the bottom option "Detail Information & Setting"
  4. press and hold the same three buttons for 3'ish seconds to get "Developer Diagnostics".
  5. On the "Developer Diagnostics" screen, you'll see distracted driver on the left.
  6. Turn "Distracted Driver" off and press return in the top right several times until you get to the main screen.
[EDIT] Sorry for the formatting. I was in a little bit of a rush and threw the post together.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't recall where I learned this, but there is a way to disable the "distracted driver" function allowing full functionality while in motion, in addition to many other diagnostic and firmware options which I haven't messed with so user beware! Turning off "Distracted Driver" will resets when the vehicle turns off and on again.

1. This worked with the Vehicle running. It can be moving or parked, but parked is usually safer.
  2. Press and Hold [HOME], [BRIGHTNESS] and [VOL] for about 3 seconds until you see the menu. View attachment 154210
  3. A Dealer Diagnostics screen will pop up. Select the bottom option "Detail Information & Setting" View attachment 154211 View attachment 154212
  4. press and hold the same three buttons for 3'ish seconds to get "Developer Diagnostics". View attachment 154214 View attachment 154215
  5. On the "Developer Diagnostics" screen, you'll see distracted driver on the left.
  6. Turn "Distracted Driver" off and press return in the top right several times until you get to the main screen.
[EDIT] Sorry for the formatting. I was in a little bit of a rush and threw the post together.
This all pretty much useless. All it let’s you do is scroll a bit longer than otherwise you could.
Doesnt allow you to install anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This all pretty much useless. All it let’s you do is scroll a bit longer than otherwise you could.
Doesnt allow you to install anything.
I never said it could. I just saw a Firmware update option/screen while I was in there and thought I would spread the info. I’ve never side loaded anything in my van, but I thought it was relevant information. Don’t be too quick to judge. If you had dug a little deeper you may have noticed the “USB Mode Switch” option to change from Apple CarPlay to ADB which (I think) some people have had success pulling up browsers with a usb keyboard command. Honda is not about to make it easy on you. Do a little legwork on your own.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I never said it could. I just saw a Firmware update option/screen while I was in there and thought I would spread the info. I’ve never side loaded anything in my van, but I thought it was relevant information. Don’t be too quick to judge. If you had dug a little deeper you may have noticed the “USB Mode Switch” option to change from Apple CarPlay to ADB which (I think) some people have had success pulling up browsers with a usb keyboard command. Honda is not about to make it easy on you. Do a little legwork on your own.
Amd maybe, if you scroll up, you see I already addressed this months ago.
in this very thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amd maybe, if you scroll up, you see I already addressed this months ago.
in this very thread.
Boston_Pilot, we’ve asked for any information about how to modify the head unit. The guy you are replying to posted actual useful informative instructions on how to do something that helps us.

Congratulations on your super secret ways of putting a browser on your own head unit, but since you won’t post instructions on how to replicate your results we are doing the best we can to share different things that work. Nothing in your previous posts in this thread included specific instructions on how to make changes.

Rather than poo poo a stranger’s effort to help out fellow oddy owners, how about post something we can use?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts