Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've never heard of the VCMuzzler before. Could you explain exactly what it does, how it works and if it voids the warranty? Thanks!
It has therapeutic value to those who ask for it. If you have never heard of it before, you probably don't need to know about it. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I am not sure how you arrived at this conclusion.
VCM2 was introduced 2008 of Gen3 models and carried fully into Gen4.
Long term effects of VCM only become reality after driving many miles.
Nobody, including Honda can predict what the long term effects of the technology are. It works perfect in theory, but as VCM2 reality is here to attest, it did not work out so well for Honda.
I am also not sure if 18+ are using VCM2,3 or whatever else.
Honda went full mute mode on their VCM info, nothing beyond the fact that engine has VCM on their web site.

Based on previous experience, I would still recommend muzzling the car.
Just remember that there are side benefits, such as full power at all times, less Active engine mount activations, etc...

If new generation of Ody has similar issues in 60-80k miles as current one, it will take another class action lawsuit to get Honda to respond.
The first class action:
Honda Lawsuit

·
Registered
563 Posts
There must be a few of those pushing 60,000 - 80,000 miles on the odometer by now. I don't go to the Acura forums, but I do skim over the Pilot and Ridgeline forums from time to time, and as far as I can tell they don't talk about VCM very much with the new models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have read VCM and ECO mode are same thing in previous gen Odyssey, some refer ECO light being ON means VCM kicking in. My 2018 Ody Touring has a ECO button, does it mean that you can switch VCM on and off? Or the ECO mode in 2018+ Ody has different meaning?

Thanks!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
ECO has a different meaning on the newer models. Your ECO button doesn't turn off VCM. They still have cylinder pause, called VCM. I don't see any circumstances where cylinder pause is good for an engine. It hasn't worked out well on any engine its been used on. Manufacturers have taken engines with known good performance and life (GM and Honda) and added these systems, causing engines to require overhaul or replacement at relatively low miles. I'd disable it on any vehicle that has it. My $0.02.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have read VCM and ECO mode are same thing in previous gen Odyssey, some refer ECO light being ON means VCM kicking in. My 2018 Ody Touring has a ECO button, does it mean that you can switch VCM on and off? Or the ECO mode in 2018+ Ody has different meaning?

Thanks!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sort of, not really. For the older gens, when the VCM is on, the ECO light is always on. When the ECO light is on, it does not always mean the VCM is on. ECO means the engine is operating "economically." The engine can be efficient with all 6 cylinders running, for a short while (before VCM kicks in.) In other words, the relationship does not directly go both ways.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts