Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a nice quote from Nationwide. I have GEICO. Switch or not to Switch?

Any one here has had or knows who has had any problems with Nationwide?

BTW I can save about $140 per 6 months by switching but I am scared of switching. Should I switch?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Saving $240 a year would take allot of the fear out of switching for me. Nationwide is a good company from what I can gather. BTW. Saw your question on the maxima.org forum too.

-Mark

'02 Ody EX-L
'96 Maxima SE
'87 Honda mower

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aardvaark:
Saving $240 a year would take allot of the fear out of switching for me. Nationwide is a good company from what I can gather. BTW. Saw your question on the maxima.org forum too.

-Mark

'02 Ody EX-L
'96 Maxima SE
'87 Honda mower
</font>
Damn!!! You caught me. I did post the same question there too. I have a Maxima 99 SE and so I hang out there too.

·
Registered
859 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by piyush:
Damn!!! You caught me. I did post the same question there too. I have a Maxima 99 SE and so I hang out there too.

</font>
.org is one of my hangouts too. MarkP is my username over there.
See ya there too.

-Mark
'02 EX-L
'96 Maxima SE
'87 Honda mower

·
Registered
131 Posts
I left State Farm about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago and switched to Electric Insurance. It was a hard decision because I was with State Farm for almost 14 years but the final factor was $$$. For the 2 vehicles in my sig plus a 1998 32' Jayco travel trailer ($22k policy on it), my payments are $92/mo. Electric wrote me a better policy, and upped my milage allotment from 7500 to 10000 miles/ year...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
197 Posts
I left State Farm 10 years ago when I saved about 33% by going to Nationwide. I was amazed how much more I had been paying, and nationwide is not a new player either. I've been with NW since.

Shaners, what's that milage alotment, for your auto or your camper?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Watch out for the bait and switch.

We left State Farm and saved about 33% also when we switched to Farmer's (home & 2 cars). While Farmers was lower rated by S&B, Moodys, etc, they were still respectable. They also did fairly well in my state's complaint index on insurance companies (many states publish these on their websites). Unfortunately, they dropped some coverages the next year.

So, we switched to Nationwide. Pretty similar to Farmers for credit ratings and complaints. Saved another 10%. Unfortunately, their rates increased over 10% after the first year. Calls to my agent went unanswered.

So, I switched to Amica. Top ratings from the credit agencies and in other independent ratings of customer service and claims paying. Also very low complaints index. Their cost was just a hair more than Farmers and Nationwide after the bait and switch, but still less than State Farm. I could have saved more with their dividend policy which gives you a cash rebate at the end of a year, but the dividends were not guaranteed. Also, their local claims office is very close.

Anyway, switching can save big bucks, just be prepared to switch again in another year in case it was a teaser rate, and also look into their credit rating and customer service/complaints ratings. You don't want to get stuck with a company that won't pay a claim.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 12-28-2001).]

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had Nationwide for many years and get excellent local service. It would take a lot to make me switch. They even call me when some chage comes up to save me money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had Nationwide for many years and get excellent local service. It would take a lot to make me switch. They even call me when some chage comes up to save me money.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

I have long been a Geico customer but recently switched to Allstate. Don't get me wrong, I've never had any problems with Geico. Very responsive to all my questions and claims. Like I said, never had any problems.

When I purchased the ody, I started thinking about consolidating my wife's and my auto car insurance policies. She's always had Allstate. She wanted Allstate and of course I wanted Geico. So, I contacted both and asked for a quote.

Interesting thing I found out and a good thing too. Quotes were close (about $25 cost differential) but the Allstate policy provided for more insurance, way above the coverage provided by Geico. I was really surprised by this. I had to look at the quotes a few times just to make sure.

What I learned from the quotes was that I was basically getting just the minimum coverage required by the state (e.g., personal injury, etc.). Allstate's was much better coverage for about the same money.

When I asked Geico to give me a quote on the coverage that Allstate was going to give me, the adjusted quote was much higher. So, it was an easy decision after that.

So, lesson I learned in that exercise was to have a baseline of coverage wanted so that comparing quotes would be easy and straightforward.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also, make sure that you are getting like-for-like coverage. When we were shopping around years ago, some of the cheaper rates we were quoted had less coverage amounts than the others.

Also, you typically will get some sort of discount if you have coverage with the same company that holds your homeowners insurance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi!

I switched from GEICO to Progressive a few years ago (totally different cars) and saved
a LOT! I can't remember the actual percentage. I never had a problem with GEICO either, it's just that Progressive lured me away with low rates.

However, in two years, my premiums increased (taking into account changing cars) around 25%-35% PER YEAR!!

So watch out for that bait and switch!

I have since dropped Progressive and switched to Great American Insurance Group for the 2001 Odyssey & 2001 Civic and put
the 1990 Mustang on a separate policy @ Geico.

With Progressive, I would have been paying at least $3200/year. This would be paying in full for 6 months (1600+/6 months). It would have been more if I were making monthly payments! They'd probably increase the premium again in 6 months! :-(

Unless they bait & switch, with Great American it's $750/ 6 months for the 2 Hondas. The Mustang pays ~$690/year with GEICO.

I live in South Florida. I think we have high insurance premiums compared to other areas.

Oh yeah, so the point is, go ahead and switch, but be aware of the possibility of switching again soon.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

[This message has been edited by SoFlaOdyssey (edited 12-28-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, thanks a lot for responding to this thread. I did infact give them the exact coverage details and the difference was a staggering $137. So then I increased my limits for a better coverage and so now I would be saving about $113 for six months and will have three times as much coverage as I used to have at GEICO.

One thing I don't get about GEICO is that when I moved from Greensboro, NC to Charlotte, NC, they jacked up my policy by $80 stating that I was moving from a smaller town to a big city and hence the risks have increased. Now that I bought a house in a small town Pineville, I expected the rates to go down. Instead they jacked up the prices AGAIN stating that I have moved to a higher risk area and told me that the size of the town is not a factor.
. But I have never had any claim problems with 'em. But then they were all Windshield replacements. They kept on raising my policy every renewal period by anywhere from $20 - $40 since I have been with em from Jan 98.
Any how, I have switched from today and I sincerely hope that my Nationwide agent will not pull the give lower rate then jack it up trick on me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
piyush & aardvaark,
I didn't there are so many people have both maxima and Odyssey.

I do have 97' maxima and 02' Ody.

·
Registered
859 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gtse:
piyush & aardvaark,

</font>
They seem like a natural pairing to me.

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gtse:
piyush & aardvaark,

</font>
Actually, I go by dvpatel99se in the maxima forums. Piyush, my borhter owns the 2001 Ody and I have been following this board eversince he drove the thing to his house. and hence the user name piyush. But I own both the user names though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
I left State Farm 10 years ago when I saved about 33% by going to Nationwide. I was amazed how much more I had been paying, and nationwide is not a new player either. I've been with NW since.

Shaners, what's that milage alotment, for your auto or your camper?
</font>

LOL!!! I'm allowed to put 10K miles on each of my vehicles. So I guess I can tow 10k miles if I was that crazy. And then I'd have to borrow someone elses truck...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

cmmyers, sorry about that.
Either way, most folks simply look at the $$ amount and not the actual coverage being provided. This actually applies to most purchases, we tend to look at how much we have to shell out and not what it actually buys us. Human nature.

Nelson, $3200 is almost highway robbery! For that amount, you'd think you're driving a priceless collector car.

I pay about $850 every 6 months for 4 cars: new ody, new tacoma, 90 acura integra, and 92 mint condition custom miata. Both integra and miata are very low mileage cars. For a big metro area like DC, the amount I'm paying is reasonable, at least I think it is. BTW, we also have other insurance policies with Allstate, so that probably helps with the rate.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

1 - 20 of 24 Posts