Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine of the 2007 Odyssey EX that I had recently purchased suddenly shut off while driving for ten minutes at 35 mph. It had been running perfectly. The OBD2 codes had been cleared and after I drove it away from the seller the engine light came on. He said the O2 sensors were bad. I put on 2,000 miles with it running perfectly. After it suddenly shut off the starter would crank the engine but the starter sounded different than the starter on my previous 2007 Odyssey LX. Towed it home and cranked it a little more, then KABOOM! - the intake manifold had blown upward off the engine and destroyed. I think it had to be air pressure from cranking the engine that caused this. Is it possible for the exhaust to be suddenly blocked? That’s all I can figure happened. Can a catalytic converters suddenly become 100% blocked? And what other damage would be possible or likely. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cats could get clogged but would be a gradual event. Misfire codes would be prompted. Engine would feel sluggish...I’d suspect the bolts holding the intake manifold were NOT secured. Can you post pics of the damage?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too depressed to take a close look but looked like bolts held and aluminum cracked. Explosion caused by pressure and not fuel pretty sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
From your original post where you indicated odyssey stop running and could not restart... sounds like timing might have skipped a few teeth.. cylinder 1 &4 had backfired and pressure built up blew the left side of the manifold...

·
Registered
67 Posts
My first thought is a timing belt let loose. When the valves get all banged up there's no telling what might happen.

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
It was a backfire through the intake.

Obviously, the intake system is severely damaged. But fixing that won't fix the cause.

Your plan forward must include checking everything that could have caused the backfire e.g. timing belt, etc. lest it happen again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From your original post where you indicated odyssey stop running and could not restart... sounds like timing might have skipped a few teeth.. cylinder 1 &4 had backfired and pressure built up blew the left side of the manifold...
Thanks. That sounds possible and would never have thought of it. 156,000 miles. Sounds like it could be the original worn out timing belt or tensioner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Obviously, the intake system is severely damaged. But fixing that won't fix the cause.

Your plan forward must include checking everything that could have caused the backfire e.g. timing belt, etc. lest it happen again.
Thanks! Makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What you said also makes sense because soon before this happened the serpentine belt broke, probably helped by the high pressure p/s hose leaking badly all over it. Right after it broke I drove it the 5 miles home on battery power. Then I replaced the hose and installed an old serpentine belt I had. While installing it I noticed fine strands of the old belt wrapped up tight around the a/c pulley. I pulled out two 8 in. fine but strong pieces of serpentine belt which were stuck in there right and hard to pull out. I felt around the other pulleys and felt nothing. So do you think if it got wrapped around the crankshaft pulley that could cause a backfire? Also do you think p/s fluid could have made its way inside the timing belt covers and damaged the timing belt enough to make it backfire? One last thing that I don’t understand is the sound the starter began making right after it suddenly shut off - like it was laboring. It was turning the engine over fast but sounded like it was laboring. Sounded like a starter with a bad solenoid that doesn’t engage the starter gear, and the sound was a lot different than my exact other Odyssey. Thanks. 〰The End〰

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
One last thing that I don’t understand is the sound the starter began making right after it suddenly shut off - like it was laboring. It was turning the engine over fast but sounded like it was laboring. Sounded like a starter with a bad solenoid that doesn’t engage the starter gear, and the sound was a lot different than my exact other Odyssey.
Not to presume that the TB failed, but the starter does make a different sound when the valves are out of time to to a TB failure.

The sound would be more like a rapid oscillation in starter load due to uneven cylinder compression.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
As was said, you had an air/fuel explosion in the intake manifold. There may be a place on the front of the engine to check the timing belt, which is not the accessory belt. As damage has already been done, you can check compression on a few of easy cylinders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not to presume that the TB failed, but the starter does make a different sound when the valves are out of time to to a TB failure.

The sound would be more like a rapid oscillation in starter load due to uneven cylinder compression.
The starter sounds exactly as you describe. Taking a look at that timing belt ASAP and post the outcome. Check if it skipped a tooth also. Is there nothing but good believable advice on this forum or what?
Also, did you buy from a dealer or a private seller?
Yes I did. We’re you thinking take it back to the used car dealer?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

That’s got to be it. I will check it out. Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And I was told by seller that the O2 sensors are bad. I’ve heard that can make it run rich. Nothing to do with a backfire though right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As was said, you had an air/fuel explosion in the intake manifold. There may be a place on the front of the engine to check the timing belt, which is not the accessory belt. As damage has already been done, you can check compression on a few of easy cylinders.
Okay. Are you sayin explosion caused possible damage to valves? Before it blew I had cranked it several time - I do t know if that allows more gas in the cylinders for a bigger explosion, or if it does it gets pushed out through the exhaust valves?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts