Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an '02 Ody EX. 119,000 miles. I'm the third owner. My wife primarily drives this car, and gently too. However, my driving style always incorporates full throttle acceleration.

This noise just started occurring last week. Under hard acceleration (3/4 throttle or more) while in 1st gear only, I have excessive noise that sounds remarkably similar to having an aftermarket air intake. The VTEC changeover is more noticeable, and the engine has a rather loud "growl" to it. As soon as the trans shifts to 2nd gear, the engine noise is more muted and everything sounds as normal during WOT (wide open throttle).

Starting in 2nd gear from a stop and flooring the gas does not produce the same noise.

My theory: my motor and transmission mounts are probably original, and probably need replacement. The extra engine movement permitted by the worn mounts has allowed the black intake tube to become worn and/or cracked with a small hole. This hole only opens when the engine is torqued back during hard acceleration.

Anybody ever heard of this before? Do I sound way off base?

No, I haven't removed the intake tube to inspect it. I don't know how, but could probably find instructions here if I searched...

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Sounds reasonable. Have some one load the engine in D and R (park brake on, two feet on brake pedal) and listen. The stock air box is hard plastic, but the air intake resonator is rubber, could be pulling back enough to make a noise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that this thread received much response, but I finally went to the dealer for them to check it out.

"Worn differential carrier bearings"
Estimate: Replace transmission @ $5,890.65

Nice.

At least Gator Transmission is in my area. I'll be giving them a call in the near future.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Try switching the ATF to synthetic before you part with good money. Or, ease up on the gas. ;)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
With gas closing in to $4 a gallon WOT rarely happens in my life. Stop doing that and put the money saved aside for a new tranny. My 2cents.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Carrier bearings should be replaceable. Granted it was on the diff of a RWD car, but a dealer replaced mine in the Z for $700. They should be able to do this on your Ody without much trouble and in no way should carrier bearings necessitate a new transmission. Get estimates somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Carrier bearings should be replaceable. Granted it was on the diff of a RWD car, but a dealer replaced mine in the Z for $700. They should be able to do this on your Ody without much trouble and in no way should carrier bearings necessitate a new transmission. Get estimates somewhere else.
The differential is inside the transmission,hence requiring a rebuild. The labour to replace them would be over 10 hours alone, so better to go with a quality reman like Gator.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Replacing the diff carrier bearings in a FWD car is different. The transmission must be removed and dismantled since the diff is integral with the transmission. True, just the carrier bearings could be replaced. But after going that far, they may as well rebuild the whole thing. The extra cost would be minimal. If the carrier bearings are shot, other parts are probably worn and facing imminent failure also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, I realize the diff is inside. Going with the tranny replacement cost you listed, even at $150/hr (which is more than most shops), 10 hours plus parts and fluid still comes in under $2000. That's a lot less than the dealer quote. I don't know what Gator gets for a trans, but it seems hard to believe a reman trans installed would total that amount or less.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Yes you're right, the OP's dealer quote of $5K+ would easily be halved by just about every other shop. Sorry, I thought you were proposing that just the carrier bearings be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts