Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Odyssey 3.5l it started to develop a hard start every time we refueled the car.
After a few attempts the van would start, but a little rough until revving up engine. Today my wife refueled the van and went to start it and
there was a loud sound like a shotgun was fired. The top cover was blown off, cracking all the way around the top.
Any ides to the cause, dont want to replace before knowing want the issue might be.
Joe

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like a backfire through the intake to me. But that would typically be a timing issue.

Refueling sounds like evap related problem. Hmm... any check engine lights?

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's gotta be it... Stuck valve or something let vapor build up in the intake somehow, got ignited, kaboom Is my guess.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Holy smokes!!! it Reminds me of an episode of Mythbusters after doing a crazy test.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Holy crap... have never seen anything like that before. :eek: You should get the EVAP and fuel system checked for leaks. Something definitely ignited.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah that looks like detonation 100 percent. Bet your plugs were running hot and you must have had alot of crank case pressure too. I've never seen something like in the picture lol

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
this happened to my friends brand new VW Atlas suv...

he pumped gas...and heard a gunshot...
he's from Canada like me, but was in the USA going to NYC....fully family and car seats on board...he was in the middle of nowhere...the closet VW dealer was about 1 hour away...had it towed...but they took over 1 month to fix it...because they only had a few mechanics and they had to deal with their regular customers....it was the worst service...they apparently had the engineers come from VW to help review the build....and then my friend had to drive back down to the USA and drive his car home...no compensation at all...

but the issue was related to an EVAP fault

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Yikes! This is the most catastrophic engine failure I have ever heard of.

·
Registered
667 Posts
this happened to my friends brand new VW Atlas suv...

he pumped gas...and heard a gunshot...
he's from Canada like me, but was in the USA going to NYC....fully family and car seats on board...he was in the middle of nowhere...the closet VW dealer was about 1 hour away...had it towed...but they took over 1 month to fix it...because they only had a few mechanics and they had to deal with their regular customers....it was the worst service...they apparently had the engineers come from VW to help review the build....and then my friend had to drive back down to the USA and drive his car home...no compensation at all...

but the issue was related to an EVAP fault
Seems the Atlas have lots of issues -> https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/atlas/2018/consumer-reviews/?sorting=userRating:asc . I had a VW Passat 1.8T. Ignition coils failed within 6 months of purchase. Every 2-3 years, CV axles, $100 oil changes. Oil sludge issues (turbo engine). Thought they improved :( .

The amount of pressure inside to break it, cant imagine..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems the only thing that would cause all your symptoms would be the valve in the Evap system that controls
the flow from canister to the intake must be stuck open. This would account for hard to start by flooding the intake
with fumes while filling the tank. May also have a vent line for the tank not allowing fumes from the tank to escape
while fueling. When your wife attempted to start the car a spark occurred with an intake valve still open and boom.
mhg

·
Banned
78 Posts
Has anyone figured out what has happened ? Could'nt be a clogged PCV valve , that would not do it. Well I own a 2006 also so I am just dying to know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just curious if a jumped timing belt could be a possibility. Usually, that causes valve and piston collision on an interference engine, but not sure about an explosion of this sort.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts